It's A Lifestyle - 250g Peninsula

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The time has come to get a thread going for this new build. I will do my best to keep everything updated as we move along but this build will be slow. Be prepared.

Equipment List
Tank:
Glasscages 72x36x22 peninsula (smoked eurobrace, low iron on 3 sides, Synergy V2 overflow, water level concealer)
Stand: T-Slot Aluminum
Lighting: 5 x AI Blade (3 Grow and 2 Glow. Switched 02/23)
Sump: Trigger Systems Custom Platinum 44
Flow: 2 X MP60
Dosing: BRS 2 part and hybrid balling method, kalk is dosed 24/7 with a Versa
Return Pumps: 2 x 7.0 Sicce SDC WiFi pumps
Controller: Apex A3 Pro
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 150 with Avast Skimmate Locker
Other Filtration: Ice Cap in sump Algae Turf Scrubber (added 09/23)

Let's get some pics going and will share my thoughts on each item for this build in future posts. This build is, in essence, 16 years in the making and the title comes from a conversation my wife and I had while moving the tank in. I will share that story later when I post the move in pics but for now:

She said, "The things we do for a hobby. For. A. Hobby!"
My response, "It's a lifestyle."

20210709_141241.jpg
20210709_145211.jpg
IMG_20210709_144216_01.jpg

CURRENT FTS (3/27/24)

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The last time I kept a serious build thread was likely back in 2013-2014 over on RC. It was my 20 gallon nano. I briefly kept one for my 50g Cube here on R2R but as that tank struggled, so did my passion to keep a build thread alive. But we'll visit that tank and its story later in this thread...

To help any that follow along understand where I come from when making decisions, I figure a little intro may be needed. This will be a few long posts. Feel free to skip over it as you won't miss anything that will be on the final test. ;)

First Tank

I started the hobby in early 2006 after researching aquariums and seeing my uncle's in wall tank at his house. I spent hours at the LFS talking to the manager who my uncle introduced me to. We came up with a good size for me and my budget. This is where my trust issues with LFS's comes from.

He set me up with a 38 tall, Bio-Wheel driven, no extra flow, single T8 bulb hood, and some live rock. All for the cool price of $1000. I got screwed. No way around it. I then proceeded to crash it about 3 months in. 1 leather and 2 clownfish survived.

In time, I spent another $1000 fixing everything. Added a HOB fuge, upgraded to power compact and T5 lighting, got some flow pumps, and had a cool little tank. Moved to Virginia so the tank and everything was sold off. I was hooked though.

Lessons learned: find and support the good LFS in your area and buy the right equipment first.

To be continued...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I kept a serious build thread was likely back in 2013-2014 over on RC. It was my 20 gallon nano. I briefly kept one for my 50g Cube here on R2R but as that tank struggled, so did my passion to keep a build thread alive. But we'll visit that tank and its story later in this thread...

To help any that follow along understand where I come from when making decisions, I figure a little intro may be needed. This will be a few long posts. Feel free to skip over it as you won't miss anything that will be on the final test. ;)

First Tank

I started the hobby in early 2006 after researching aquariums and seeing my uncle's in wall tank at his house. I spent hours at the LFS talking to the manager who my uncle introduced me to. We came up with a good size for me and my budget. This is where my trust issues with LFS's comes from.

He set me up with a 38 tall, Bio-Wheel driven, no extra flow, single T8 bulb hood, and some live rock. All for the cool price of $1000. I got screwed. No way around it. I then proceeded to crash it about 3 months in. 1 leather and 2 clownfish survived.

In time, I spent another $1000 fixing everything. Added a HOB fuge, upgraded to power compact and T5 lighting, got some flow pumps, and had a cool little tank. Moved to Virginia so the tank and everything was sold off. I was hooked though.

Lessons learned: find and support the good LFS in your area and buy the right equipment first.

To be continued...
Sage advice. I would always ask to see photos of the tanks that the store employees had at home. Make a judgement as to whether or not they had any clue about a question I may ask. Those that had tanks I would dream about being able to have was the ones that I would listen to.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Second Tank

No, I'm not going to write out a history or synopsis of every single tank I've ever had. Nobody wants to read that. However, this tank (and my third tank) are the most influential tanks of my reefing career. They setup the foundation that I still use and rely on.

It was 2008 and I was back in Utah after a short stint in Virginia. My dad had a freshwater tank at the time so we often visited LFS looking at things. We walked into Aquatica one day and they had a screaming deal. $200 for a JBJ 24g Nanocube, 20lbs of live rock, and a bag of live sand. I bought that package, a bucket of salt, and the owner lent me enough jugs of water to fill the tank. It was late but I remember rushing home excited as could be. I was back in the hobby! I even convinced my dad to drop the $200 and get into SW.

This tank had its ups and downs early on but ultimately settled into the easiest tank I've ever had. I ran it on 5g weekly water changes and a little dosing here and there. The power compact lights that came with the Nanocubes were plenty for all softies and LPS. Even easy SPS would do okay. I kept a monti cap and a pink milli under them. The milli didn't grow well but it didn't die either. Every coral I put in this tank survived and thrived. So it was then I decided to step up my game and got into metal halides! 150w Hamilton clamp on halide with a Phoenix 14k bulb. Easily one of the best bulbs ever. The tank glowed and came to life. The SPS thrived for me. Even if they were "easy" this was all the confidence I needed in my reefing abilities. It was time to get serious. It was time to design a system from the ground up. Enter TJ Burton and his 40 breeder.

Lessons learned: Good equipment mixed with good husbandry and the KISS method goes a long way. I wouldn't recognize these lessons until years later.

A little more to come still...

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Third Tank - the "then dream setup"

My second tank was doing extremely well. Hobby life was on cruise control for me. I was running mine and my dad's tank. Constantly fragging hammers and frogspawn. The hobby was easier and simpler back then IMO.

One night while searching the forums I came across Thomas Burton's build thread on Nano Reef. I spent hours reading it, writing notes, studying...this was it for me. I found my dream setup. So plans started for my own 40B and it came at a terrible time. The market crashed. I was out of a job and trying to figure out how to even stay in the hobby. All the extra time allowed me a lot of planning and researching but no funds for any of it.

I had become enthralled with T5s before the market crash and was running the T5 Q&A Thread with Grim Reefer over on RC. I bought and tested an unreal amount of stuff once funds stabilized. Answered 20-30 posts a day minimum just in that thread. So I knew T5s would be my choice over the new tank. I can't think of another topic in this hobby that I spent more time studying, learning, and even talking to the greats about than lighting.

I ended up going with a 40B, 20g sump, Bubble Magus skimmer, MB7 and vodka dosing, BRS 2 part, 4*24w ATI Sunpower, and a custom built stand. It really was a beautiful setup IMO. I transferred over the contents of my JBJ and things were smooth sailing. The MB7 and vodka dosing came courtesy of SunnyX for those old enough to remember him. He and his tank took the hobby by storm back then. Like all good things over there, Reef Central crushed him the second he started selling coral.

Unfortunately, my dream tank never saw its full glory. With all builds, we tend to overlook one or two little items and those little items become big problems in our minds. These "problems" were so large in my mind I decided I needed to redo the tank during a move. The disaster that followed is far too long. I lost a fair share of my prized corals, ruined a gorgeous setup, and ultimately killed my passion for the hobby. I had 2 corals leftover that I couldn't part with though. I had saved them after they came in all but dead at the LFS I was helping out at. They went in a 7.5g cube while everything else was sold off. It was the lowest point of my reefing career. I learned more things with this disaster than I ever did with my super successful Nanocube before. Lessons I incorporated into my reefing lifestyle.

"I never learned anything from a match that I won."
-- Bobby Jones

Lesson learned: don't mess with a good thing!

To be continued...one more time

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily I learn from my tank. Just today, I realized I need a low water auto shut-off/alarm sent via Apex for my 5 gal internal reservoir. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Current Tank(s)

In 2014, I had a 20g Long super simple setup. 2 powerheads, heater, HOB filter with carbon, live rock, 1 fish, and coral. Knowing what I know now, this tank ran way too clean and corals suffered because of it. As my fiance (now wife) and I were planning our wedding and everything, we realized we'd have to move at least twice, if not more, in 6 weeks while the house was built. I decided at this point to sell everything off and wait for life to settle down before getting back in the hobby. I sold everything off. One guy came to get whatever was left and I gave him everything. 3-4 boxes of stuff worth way more than he paid but I had no choice really. I did not want to haul all that stuff around with the moves. To be honest, this break was amazing. No tank crash. No mistakes. No big disaster forcing me out. I left on my terms and was content...for a little bit.

In late 2016, I found a 50g Cadlights system for sale locally. Pics made it look like a good deal and we had the perfect spot for it. I bought it and a bunch of stuff from the guy. I started a build thread here on R2R for this tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/50g-cadlights-build-thread.289132/

That tank looks nothing like the last update from a couple years ago. It currently has no sand, a bunch of LPS corals, 2 clowns, 1 royal gramma, a GHL Mitras light, and an algae turf scrubber. I don't even have a recent picture of this tank. My wife will soon take over this tank as "her tank" and it will be moved upstairs. Before that happens, it needs some serious upgrades. Enough of this though.

My current tank is a standard 4 foot 120 gallon tank with a 40B sump. I dose 2 part, Tropic Marin Part C, and trace elements to follow the Reef Moonshiners program (but with ATI supplements.) I run a Reef Octopus Elite 150 skimmer and it is one of the best skimmers I've ever owned. An Apex EL BRS edition runs the tank.

The vast majority of my decisions for the upgrade come from what I dislike about my current setups but also draw on my past success. This includes lighting, pumps, maintenance routine, brands I will and won't use, etc...Enough talk though. More pictures!

Attachments

• 20210701_193434-COLLAGE.jpg
    20210701_193434-COLLAGE.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 20210701_194157.jpg
    20210701_194157.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 20210629_194416.jpg
    20210629_194416.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210616_180740.jpg
    20210616_180740.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210510_172542.jpg
    20210510_172542.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 225
OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So where is the new tank today? Sitting in a giant mess!

20210711_110606.jpg

Yes, it makes me nervous right here. Problem is the company sending me the stand ran out of aluminum and didn't ship in time. They upgraded me to heavy grade aluminum free of charge and it should ship any day.

For anyone wondering if they should go with low iron glass, check out this picture and decide for yourself.

20210710_140155.jpg

The low iron side is clear as can be to look through. The bottom is standard glass.

Thanks for following along!

IG: @raisethereef22

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wish I had a nice update or even pictures of what has gone on the last week but sadly FedEx has completely screwed up my stand delivery. My hope is it shows up tomorrow since Friday is a state holiday and I'm off. I could get the stand built on Friday and then get measurements for the plywood and foam top. I could also start planning the internals of the stand.

My frag racks are all full and corals are growing onto them at this point. I need to get all the extra stuff in my 50g sold off so that I can tear that tank down, clean it, and get it ready for my wife. About 75% of my frag racks are her corals to go in the 50g.

Just a couple pics to keep the thread pretty :D

50g "Extras" Tank
20210718_154551.jpg

Couple leptos and favia

20210528_180811.jpg

Hellrider Favia

20210528_180802.jpg

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good intro! I dig hearing peoples background in the hobby and what brought them to their current "lifestyle".

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good intro! I dig hearing peoples background in the hobby and what brought them to their current "lifestyle".

Thank you! Tried to keep it short but still get some good content. I found myself writing and deleting whole paragraphs in fear of writing a novel for every post.

I'd like to eventually write out posts for each topic on why I chose what I chose. Hopefully it will help someone trying to make a decision in the future. Worst case it reminds me to not head back down paths I didn't care for.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Tried to keep it short but still get some good content. I found myself writing and deleting whole paragraphs in fear of writing a novel for every post.

I'd like to eventually write out posts for each topic on why I chose what I chose. Hopefully it will help someone trying to make a decision in the future. Worst case it reminds me to not head back down paths I didn't care for.

Your thread, your rules! I say lay it on thick. There's plenty of us who appreciate learning from others experience. Being saved by RC back in the day is likely while I'm still in this hobby. Man that had to be 02'-04' ish. Glory days of cheapish fiji live rock and the jumps from PC, to VHO, T5 then the hum of a Hamilton MH ballast kicking off lol.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have some progress!

20210801_120139.jpg

20210801_131834.jpg

20210801_133713.jpg

20210802_220411.jpg

The stand is upside down since I made a pretty big mistake while building it. I forgot to put the universal brackets in place. These brackets make attaching the wood skin super simple and easy. So I have to take sections apart and add the brackets in. To make it worse, I had to order 12 more brackets. So back to waiting...

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The time has come to get a thread going for this new build. I will do my best to keep everything updated as we move along but this build will be slow. Be prepared.

Equipment List
Tank:
Glasscages 72x36x22 peninsula (smoked eurobrace, low iron on 3 sides, Synergy V2 overflow, water level concealer)
Lighting: 3*250w Reef Brite pendants and ballasts. 20k Hamilton Bulbs. 2 XHO Bars (to be added later)
Flow: Tunze of some kind (probably the Stream 3 pumps mixed with some 6095 pumps)
Dosing: BRS 2 part with Tropic Marin Part C and Reef Moonshiners
Return Pumps: Sicce SDC WiFi pumps (a 6.0 and a 7.0 is the current plan and what I have on hand)
Controller: Hydros 4 plus add-ons

Let's get some pics going and will share my thoughts on each item for this build in future posts. This build is, in essence, 16 years in the making and the title comes from a conversation my wife and I had while moving the tank in. I will share that story later when I post the move in pics but for now:

In all honesty, she loves this hobby and lifestyle. Picks out her own fish and corals and is taking over my old tank. Yes, I outkicked my coverage.

20210709_141241.jpg
20210709_145211.jpg
Following..very nice tank

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment List
Tank:
Lighting: 3*250w Reef Brite pendants and ballasts. 20k Hamilton Bulbs. 2 XHO Bars (to be added later)
Flow: Tunze of some kind (probably the Stream 3 pumps mixed with some 6095 pumps)
Dosing: BRS 2 part with Tropic Marin Part C and Reef Moonshiners
Return Pumps: Sicce SDC WiFi pumps (a 6.0 and a 7.0 is the current plan and what I have on hand)
Controller: Hydros 4 plus add-ons

In all honesty, she loves this hobby and lifestyle. Picks out her own fish and corals and is taking over my old tank. Yes, I outkicked my coverage.

20210709_141241.jpg
20210709_145211.jpg
You wanna know my favorite part about this tank.... THE WATER LINE CONCEALER!! That is such a nice touch.

I don't know why but the eruobraced tanks where you can see the water line just drive me crazy.

Keep this updated!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wanna know my favorite part about this tank.... THE WATER LINE CONCEALER!! That is such a nice touch.

I don't know why but the eruobraced tanks where you can see the water line just drive me crazy.

Keep this updated!
@Pntbll687 thanks so much for mentioning that regarding the concealed waterline. This idea came from a customer about a year ago when design a trim-less tank. took us about 3 months to get it to a point of it being a real option. totally agree, I believe it finishes out a show tank nicely. Thanks again.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Keep this updated!

I can't wait to see it in action!

Like most everyone else, work is just crazy busy right now with no end in sight. The tank is going even slower than I thought but gotta hav money to have a tank :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back