It's a Miracle(s)...Tank! 460 Gallons Finally Arrived!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful tank! I cannot wait for the build!

A couple questions, what are your plans for lighting, and how do you plan on scaping/placing corals, etc, when the tank stands a few inches taller than you?
I will be running 4 36" Aquatic Life Hybrid fixtures which will be perpendicular to the front long side. I will have 8 Radion G5 Blues and 16 B+ T5's. I will be adding a fold down step to the "back side" of the stand that will allow me to reach most places in the tank. I will probably pick up something like what PDXMonkeyboy suggested above to use on the "front side"

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of a lighting fixture have you designed to allow you to move the lights when you need to get in to the tank? I was thinking 2 or 4 different lifts to raise them and lower but just guessing. Kinda like those bike lift pully set ups. Or are you going to build a single aluminum ladder rack that you mount everything to that can lift all at once? So many ways to do this...

Also wondering what kind of cover are you going to go with? I would build group of covers basically like what Jimmy uses but 4 and have them perpendicular too.

Man, after seeing that thing yesterday I have so many questions LOL

U

User1

View Badges
Beautiful!

My dream tank is in that 350-450G range. How much flow do you believe you will get out of just one overflow box?

If the OP uses a Bean Animal design there will be no limit. Looks like 1 1/2" bulk heads but even 1" will be fine. The only limiting factor with Bean Animal, or any other for that matter, is the restriction the teeth provide. Smooth weir is always the best option with using coast to coast style over flows. Still, I bet it won't be fully open.

OP - beautiful tank.

OP's friends - great job in helping getting that in place.

All - best of luck and have a great weekend!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics of the moving in process, courtesy of @AZMSGT (I'm wearing the yellow hat). It's not in it's permanent spot yet as I wanted access to the overflow to do the plumbing. Once that's done we'll move into place. it was quite a challenge with only 6 guys and an 830 lb. tank going onto a 40" high stand...

KRBIMAGING-2328 - Copy.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2329 - Copy.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2332 - Copy.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2336 - Copy.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2347.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2348.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2353.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2355.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2356.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2357.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2359.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2360.jpg

KRBIMAGING-2362.jpg

Beautiful tank. Can't wait to see it full of corals. Makes your current tank seems so small.

Is the tank that much taller than you? And I thought my tank was hard to work on.

And it that the final location? It seems like the middle of the room.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get all of those glass suction cup handles? Did you rent or buy? I need to find some to move a big tank soon and am trying to determine good ones to use/buy.

Great looking tank!
I ordered off Amazon - look up
Glass Suction Cups Heavy Duty Aluminum Vacuum Plate Double Handle Professional Holder Hooks Mover Puller Lifter Gripper for Moving Large Glasses Mirror Granite Repair laminate floor gap fixer (2 Pack)

They come 2 to a pack, and are rated for 220 lbs each. I decided to buy mine and keep them so others around me can use them, and I will be moving other tanks around in the future. They worked perfectly.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of a lighting fixture have you designed to allow you to move the lights when you need to get in to the tank? I was thinking 2 or 4 different lifts to raise them and lower but just guessing. Kinda like those bike lift pully set ups. Or are you going to build a single aluminum ladder rack that you mount everything to that can lift all at once? So many ways to do this...

Also wondering what kind of cover are you going to go with? I would build group of covers basically like what Jimmy uses but 4 and have them perpendicular too.

Man, after seeing that thing yesterday I have so many questions LOL
I have some T-slot 80/20 that I will build a rack from so it will be one fixture. It will be mounted on one of these:

So I can use my phone to raise and lower it.

I'll probably order a lid from Octo Aquatics as they are local.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the OP uses a Bean Animal design there will be no limit. Looks like 1 1/2" bulk heads but even 1" will be fine. The only limiting factor with Bean Animal, or any other for that matter, is the restriction the teeth provide. Smooth weir is always the best option with using coast to coast style over flows. Still, I bet it won't be fully open.

OP - beautiful tank.

OP's friends - great job in helping getting that in place.

All - best of luck and have a great weekend!
Yes 1 1/2 bulkheads. Thank you very much!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Can't wait to see it full of corals. Makes your current tank seems so small.

Is the tank that much taller than you? And I thought my tank was hard to work on.

And it that the final location? It seems like the middle of the room.
I will be installing a platform so I can work on it as the total height is 70"

It's not in the final position yet as I wanted to be able to work on the plumbing in open space. Once I have the overflow plumbed we'll move it into place.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get all of those glass suction cup handles? Did you rent or buy? I need to find some to move a big tank soon and am trying to determine good ones to use/buy.

Great looking tank!
When I saw them and they didn't have a pumping system to maintain suction, I was extremely skeptical but having 12 of them sharing the load seemed to be ok.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic that @Sisterlimonpot took gives a good perspective on the size of this beast! That's my RS 750 XXL in the background for comparison.

20200402_1102181.jpg
Maybe use the 750 for your sump?!?!

Nearly (thankfully) wet my pants with that picture. Will start some drawings tonight on the addition I need to build for a 461G Miracle tank. May need to move the swimming pool but feeling inspired.

Joking aside, that looks awesome. We are all so happy for you. Now get to work and hire a photographer to help document this build!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe use the 750 for your sump?!?!

Nearly (thankfully) wet my pants with that picture. Will start some drawings tonight on the addition I need to build for a 461G Miracle tank. May need to move the swimming pool but feeling inspired.

Joking aside, that looks awesome. We are all so happy for you. Now get to work and hire a photographer to help document this build!
Actually, I'v had the sump for a few months now. It's a custom made Bashsea:

Bashsea Sump.jpg
Bashsea Sump-2.jpg

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should chime in about the suction cups. Those little two cup suction handles are notorious at slipping off. Like a lot.

I have seen it happen multiple times, the last time we were moving a $5k custom AGE tank.

If you are moving a HEAVY and EXPENSIVE tank, then these are the suction handles you want. They are not cheap, but they wont result in you dropping a tank.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build and following along.

You will love the Abyzz a200, there completely silent. Infact you can only tell it’s on because the sump doesn’t fill up

I run mine around 86% because above that it makes hardly any difference to the power output. I tried it, and if you look at the instructions you can see it on the graphs they provide.

And remember to register it with Abyzz to get the 10 year warranty

On the suckers, Ive never quest trusted them to be honest, but I’ve never tried them. They just seem like they might fall/slip off from something that heavy! Lol

And keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and sump. In the second picture on page one that’s quite the ro/di system on the wall. Can’t wait to see it set up.
It's actually been in action for over 2 years now. It's 150 GPD and does a terrific job of producing 0 TDS water.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet your wife is stoked! lol
Of course she is! She's just happy I'll have a project to keep me busy while we're stuck at home LOL.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back