It's all @Paul B's fault... my journey to an immune reef (hopefully!)

OP
OP
Gweeds1980

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, here's the tank currently... Excuse the rubbish on top!!
54496d54c8773bf73edd90f1bcaeac2f.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, here's the tank currently... Excuse the rubbish on top!!
54496d54c8773bf73edd90f1bcaeac2f.jpg
That looks fantastic! I'd be content having a system like that!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 Kids, OMG, thats enough. Congrats. :D

My fish are still doing great, especially the Hippo tang I added 2 weeks ago. :p

I don't especially like tangs, too boring but I took this picture a few days ago in the Caribbean. They are the most common fish. :rolleyes:

Paul,
Glad you had a chance to dive with the titanium knee.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of an old thread but I thought I would revive it. The following is from a guy on another forum who always QTs his fish and in this case worked 5 Anthias.
"I had 5 Bartletts in qt for the past 12 weeks, they were supposed to go in the display this week. I woke up this morning to find 1 dead, so decided to get them all in the display and 1 died in the bag while I was acclimatising them.
So now I have 3.
Gutted that I’ve lost 2, after all this time in qt."
I am left wondering what if he had just put all 5 directly into his DT. Would he still have 5? Perhaps they would all have died but I doubt that very much. After 12 weeks in QT one died in the QT the other shortly after introduction to the DT. Did stress play an important part in the demise of the 2 Anthias? We will never know for sure but we often hear of fish dying in QT. He does not say anything much about how he QTs, feeds or the environment he provides. IMO stress is a bigger factor in fish death than is often acknowledged.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO stress is a bigger factor in fish death than is often acknowledged.

IMO quarantining (which causes the most stress) is the biggest factor in losing fish. I think way more fish die in quarantine or shortly after than just putting fish in your tank as I have been doing for decades and never lose any.
I didn't make that up, just look at the quarantining threads. :cool:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO quarantining (which causes the most stress) is the biggest factor in losing fish. I think way more fish die in quarantine or shortly after than just putting fish in your tank as I have been doing for decades and never lose any.
I didn't make that up, just look at the quarantining threads. :cool:
Do you mean quarantining in a tank separate from the display or quarantining with copper or other medication?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1

For toooo many hobiest, quarantine is synonymous with harsh treatments. If observation was substituted for quarantine, I would have a different attitude toward the subject matter. There is no doubt that stress kills four fold more fish than all the parasites & disease combined.

In my experiences, If an established tank with a mature biofilter and no fish aggression was in place, then observation would be an acceptable option.

PS: Two 55G grow out tanks both with UV sterilizes. I have toooo many tanks, these two receive macro, sponges and janitors to be transferred to other tanks.

image.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean quarantining in a tank separate from the display or quarantining with copper or other medication?

I mean putting the fish any place but in a normal, natural large enough tank with calcerous rocks, hiding places and fish that won't scare the ich out of them.
In other words, your main tank.

It is stress that gives fish sickness, not the LFS, not the wholesaler, not the collector and not lady GaGa.
Too small a tank, PVC, medications, fresh water dips all tend to kill fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1

For toooo many hobiest, quarantine is synonymous with harsh treatments. If observation was substituted for quarantine, I would have a different attitude toward the subject matter. There is no doubt that stress kills four fold more fish than all the parasites & disease combined.

In my experiences, If an established tank with a mature biofilter and no fish aggression was in place, then observation would be an acceptable option.

PS: Two 55G grow out tanks both with UV sterilizes. I have toooo many tanks, these two receive macro, sponges and janitors to be transferred to other tanks.

image.jpg

I have a conditioning tank with live rock and some macro. Absolutely flipping love it. It's better than a QT or dropping in the DT.

Just moved some yellow striped clingfish out of it...eating prepared like piglets.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a conditioning tank with live rock and some macro. Absolutely flipping love it. It's better than a QT or dropping in the DT.

Just moved some yellow striped clingfish out of it...eating prepared like piglets.

Do you have a tank thread?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think this approach is the next best of all. Combined with WC from the DT it will works great. The best system - IMO - is a separate conditioning tank but with the same return pump as the DT + an effective UV-C on the return pipe system. Separate filtration system in the observation/conditioning tank. If something happens - you should be able to shut of the system from the main system.

Nah. Not on this forum anyways.

Please - write a build thread - it seems to me that you both have an interesting system and very good taste for which fish you want to have ;)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this approach is the next best of all. Combined with WC from the DT it will works great. The best system - IMO - is a separate conditioning tank but with the same return pump as the DT + an effective UV-C on the return pipe system. Separate filtration system in the observation/conditioning tank. If something happens - you should be able to shut of the system from the main system.

Please - write a build thread - it seems to me that you both have an interesting system and very good taste for which fish you want to have ;)

Sincerely Lasse

I have lots of nano's, hubby won't let me have a big tank till we move, so 5 small ones + the conditioning tank. I'll probably eventually post something about them in a single thread maybe.

The LFS sells fish super fast as they come in but no one buys up the small weird ones which I do like very much. They sort of just sit around not being sold but the LFS orders them because they like seeing new things too. So by the time I stop in and most of the tanks are barren, I can still find most of the weirdo fish...

48106655228_0e32cfeb23_n.jpg

48276625982_0ab96022a9_n.jpg

48135645446_8251110ba6_n.jpg

48182793792_2f87e828ed_n.jpg

48136556917_7f199214cc_n.jpg

47098132374_9b8f212c8b_n.jpg

48158012087_111d4a0485_n.jpg

Was super excited to discover this guy just now after I got home from work. He must have hitchhiked into my QT/Conditioning tank on the macro and has been hiding out for awhile.
48371372886_477fac5970_n.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdo fish are all that I keep. I guess I am weird. ;Wacky

ha! Yes, I saw pictures of some of your fish, very nice :) I suppose it's a good thing everyone flocks to the tangs and wrasses as it makes it easy for me to pick up the oddballs/rare fish at cheap prices.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdo fish are all that I keep. I guess I am weird. ;Wacky

I guess is an understatement. Actually, I think @Lasse captured it best when he said provacateur,
derived from Latin provocare, meaning "to call forth”.

@Paul B
I read your post with the walk down 165 steps to get to the beach. Did you have to lubricate the titanium knee?

My brother, it is good to see you getting around so well. When the VA Orthopedic surgeon did my second knee he asked me if I was bow legged. I never rode a horse, so I don’t know where he was coming from. Perhaps he was writd

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing stairs works great for my new knee as long as I don't twist it. I think my other knee is geting jealous and I can see a replacement for it in the future. Especially if I keep climbing stairs. :cool:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back