It's all @Paul B's fault... my journey to an immune reef (hopefully!)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess is an understatement. Actually, I think @Lasse captured it best when he said provacateur,
derived from Latin provocare, meaning "to call forth”.
Maybe - but I´m a Swedish copy cat - just look at this video ;)

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse

I do so much enjoy your post. The wisdom & humor in your signature brings a smile.

“I am not young enough to know everything, but neither so old that I forgotten everything”
Thank you - as we say back home - a good laugh makes the life longer :)

Sincerely Lasse

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know what happened to that tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised... my frozen fish food recipe (no particular measurements, just chucked it all in a blender... my Mrs was not happy!!)

Ingredients (All ingredients went in fresh... that's important!):
Whole prawns, in shell.
1.Whole mussels, out of shell [emoji6]
2.Whole sardines (bones and all)
3.Just the guts of various sea fish (ask your fishmonger... and then watch the amusement come across his face!)
4. Live blackworms.
5. Seaweeds collected from local beach
6. Nori sheets.
7. Fillets of various sea fish, complete with skin on.
8. Garlic (Not a natural food granted, but I had some so what the heck)
9. Caulerpa from my refuge.
10. NSW to get it to a thick liquid state ( consistency of runny honey)

Once blended I poured it into freezer bags, tied them up and laid them flat in the freezer. I will use ice cube trays in the future so that I don't have to cut the sheet up each time.
I know its old post. I put mine on a cookie pan lined with wax paper. Freeze in thin sheet cut in small chuncks (ice cube to big) put in freezer bag. Thought this may help some.
Work fast it still smells and can thaw quickly. (Wax paper pulls off really easily)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for the black worms, that is basically my diet now. :)

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds promising. Almost everything we do "for" fish stresses them, especially quarantine, medications and the things we feed and try to call proper food, most of which is nothing like the fish was eating in the sea.

Enhancing the immune system sounds great for new fish. After they are in our system for a couple of weeks and few the correct food as well as encountering pathogens, the fish will no longer need an immune booster because they can do that on their own.
It won't do much good on quarantined fish because you can't boost what the fish does not possess.
Sooo I did QT my fish and do TT but I never gave them meds... and I always try to feed live foods a few times a week. Did I ruin my fishes ability to fight ich and disease? As I have just posted my blue tang and now yellow tang have ich. I did let some fish in w/out QT this time b/c just kept them in my seperate refugium with pods, BBS and live rock until they learned to eat from the BBS feeder you demonstrate. I am thinking of doing nothing.... but I am hoping they pull through bc they are well fed and my tank is in good condition and very old.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immunity and resistance are also not the same thing and we mix these terms up frequently. Paul's fish nor yours are truly immune.

I hope it works out, I did it for ten years. Unfortunately it's a ticking time bomb and I lost more fish than I should have - I know that now that I properly quarantine and see how few fish I lose.

I do hope everything works out though, it's intriguing. I do just want the casual reader to understand that no fish is truly scientifically immune to any parasite.
This^^^^^^^^

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of an old thread but I thought I would revive it. The following is from a guy on another forum who always QTs his fish and in this case worked 5 Anthias.
"I had 5 Bartletts in qt for the past 12 weeks, they were supposed to go in the display this week. I woke up this morning to find 1 dead, so decided to get them all in the display and 1 died in the bag while I was acclimatising them.
So now I have 3.
Gutted that I’ve lost 2, after all this time in qt."
I am left wondering what if he had just put all 5 directly into his DT. Would he still have 5? Perhaps they would all have died but I doubt that very much. After 12 weeks in QT one died in the QT the other shortly after introduction to the DT. Did stress play an important part in the demise of the 2 Anthias? We will never know for sure but we often hear of fish dying in QT. He does not say anything much about how he QTs, feeds or the environment he provides. IMO stress is a bigger factor in fish death than is often acknowledged.
Or all 5 put in at once could have introduced velvet and killed every single fish in the tank.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What c
I have lots of nano's, hubby won't let me have a big tank till we move, so 5 small ones + the conditioning tank. I'll probably eventually post something about them in a single thread maybe.

The LFS sells fish super fast as they come in but no one buys up the small weird ones which I do like very much. They sort of just sit around not being sold but the LFS orders them because they like seeing new things too. So by the time I stop in and most of the tanks are barren, I can still find most of the weirdo fish...

48106655228_0e32cfeb23_n.jpg

48276625982_0ab96022a9_n.jpg

48135645446_8251110ba6_n.jpg

48182793792_2f87e828ed_n.jpg

48136556917_7f199214cc_n.jpg

47098132374_9b8f212c8b_n.jpg

48158012087_111d4a0485_n.jpg

Was super excited to discover this guy just now after I got home from work. He must have hitchhiked into my QT/Conditioning tank on the macro and has been hiding out for awhile.
48371372886_477fac5970_n.jpg
What kind of crab is this!?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or all 5 put in at once could have introduced velvet and killed every single fish in the tank.
Could, but didn't. However, what happened happened. Things can happen doesn't mean it will. Never happened to me in over 30 years with about 9 tanks putting fish directly into the DT..

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could, but didn't. However, what happened happened. Things can happen doesn't mean it will. Never happened to me in over 30 years with about 9 tanks putting fish directly into the DT..
Yes but how long have you been using the peroxide thing? Can’t think of the name.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll

have to keep an eye out for one of those. I just got a pom pom crab. It is cool as s*** but is microscopic and normally only comes out at night.

FYI their natural diet is palys. They will eat other food but if you have palys or probably zoas you like. They will eat them. They use the toxins to make themselves poisonous. The crazy colors is a DO NOT EAT ME warning.

It never touched the other corals that I saw.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back