It's official! An upgrade is in the works! Now to decide which tank to go with...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, I officially have wifey permission for an upgrade in the new house. I'm planning for a 6ft tank. :cool:;Happy Now, I just have to decide which one I'll go with... I know I want at LEAST a 180. I'm also considering a 200. ...but I might even go a little bigger. We're getting the keys to the house today, so once I can get in and plan exactly what space it'll occupy that'll help. However, I'm curious. If you were planning to buy a 6ft tank right now, which manufacturer would you go with? What dimensions would you want? Help me decide!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like 24" wide (front to back) and 18" depth (height) as for length my vote is get it as large as possible!

The ease of working in a ?x24x18" space would be nice and if I were buying/building a tank today that's what I'd go with.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like 24" wide (front to back) and 18" depth (height) as for length my vote is get it as large as possible!

The ease of working in a ?x24x18" space would be nice and if I were buying/building a tank today that's what I'd go with.
Even 24x24 wouldn't be bad , I just don't enjoy having to reach that deep for coral placement, maintenance, etc.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I officially have wifey permission for an upgrade in the new house. I'm planning for a 6ft tank. :cool:;Happy Now, I just have to decide which one I'll go with... I know I want at LEAST a 180. I'm also considering a 200. ...but I might even go a little bigger. We're getting the keys to the house today, so once I can get in and plan exactly what space it'll occupy that'll help. However, I'm curious. If you were planning to buy a 6ft tank right now, which manufacturer would you go with? What dimensions would you want? Help me decide!
I just finished a build of a custom 180 Visio with end trapezoid overflow.

I love everything about it, other than it not being 8' long and 30 front to back ;)

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 24x24 wouldn't be bad , I just don't enjoy having to reach that deep for coral placement, maintenance, etc.

But if
As the clownfish are attacking my arm. Unfortunately I have a 30” deep tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would have to stick with Miracles Aquariums myself and go with another Peninsula, 72" Long 42" wide and 18-20" Deep:cool: I was talking with Derek recently and sooner rather than later is the time to buy custom, Glass prices have gone up sharply every quarter since Covid started and show no signs of stopping.

Congrats on the new home and upgrade!

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is endless i would get Felix at reef saavy to build the tank. My second and third and 4th opinions are more budget friendly…. Elos. Waterbox(new models with stand and euro brace) or redsea if they have the equivalent with their new models. If you go custom I would like my tank to have the armored seams and euro brace the bottom and top…. Assuming you build a 200+ gallon.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of a 180g upgrade as we speak. Glasscages all the way for whatever you decide and aluminum t slot for the frame.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel, I only have to say look at the first several pages of my build thread. CDA is the way to go and probably down the street from you...LOL!!!

Congrats on the new house!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the space, I would definitely go with a peninsula tank. I have a Waterbox and love the tank, but I have always heard good things about Red Sea too. My vote would be for either of their 6 ft peninsulas :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I had the space, I would definitely go with a peninsula tank. I have a Waterbox and love the tank, but I have always heard good things about Red Sea too. My vote would be for either of their 6 ft peninsulas :)
I'm REALLY hoping I can do a peninsula. We're going to see if that will work with the layout.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm REALLY hoping I can do a peninsula. We're going to see if that will work with the layout.
I just really like the idea of being able to view the scape from all sides. And there's more surface area for corals. Since the short side of a peninsula tank is the back. I have a small peninsula AIO on my desk right now

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back