It's official! An upgrade is in the works! Now to decide which tank to go with...

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote 6'x3'x20" peninsula being that's what I'm hoping to upgrade to now. I got a quote from Reef Savvy for the tank but they went cold after asking about a stand to go with it. :rolleyes: Now looking at Glass Cages and other options.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm REALLY hoping I can do a peninsula. We're going to see if that will work with the layout.
I have a 6ft peninsula, it's awesome. It's a standard 180 from aqueon, drilled with the overflow on the short side. Drilled by aqueon, so it still carries their LIFETIME warranty. I also wanted the tank as close to the wall as possible, so going with an internal overflow was perfect for me.

I do not like to see the water line on tanks, so the black trim and bracing don't bother me, it also gave me a place to hide my return line that runs the length of the tank. I did this with the return and added a rfg nozzle on the return which is on the open end pointed back at the overflow, so guess what, NO WAVEMAKERS NEEDED ON THE OPEN END (it really bothers me when people put wavemakers on the open end of peninsulas). The only thing I wish it had is glass cross braces instead of the plastic. But that was something I could live with.

The major things I considered when buying were
1. Where is the tank going?
2. Am I paying for options that I'm not using? Think rimless tank that someone puts a canopy on it. Why buy rimless if you're going to hide it?
3. Budget - I'm not a reefer who can go drop $5k on a tank, then add radions, a nyos skimmer, and an abyzz return pump.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the new house! If I were buying a new tank I would want a innovation marine external.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back