!!!IT'S OFFICIAL, I'M SHIPPING WITH UPS NOW!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I often tell people that one of my biggest frustrations with what I do is that I spend literally all of my time, energy, and resources on maintaining the health and longevity of my coral collection. Only to have to hand them off at perhaps the most critical and definitely most vulnerable point in their existence to a third party that really does not give a crap about them. No amount of "perishable" or "delicate please handle with care" stickers are going to get them to appreciate the sensitivity of the contents of that box any better. In some cases, I think these stickers only serve to invite the spiteful dropkick that often results in a box of cloudy, smelly bags.

If I start to add up all the coral I've lost over the years due to fed ex whiffles I get really angry, then depressed, and then frustrated even more. So it is with this sentiment that I am announcing officially that I have moved on from Fed Ex and am shipping with UPS entirely now.

Now, I get it has been a rough couple of years for all major shippers, and that in some areas UPS is still going to suck. But for the most part, UPS is more reliable overall, and if the last few weeks have taught me anything, it's that this notion is definitely true. Save, one box that was stuck for a week right after Xmas. (you know who you are and I'm on it).

Hoping for some shred of relief from the onslaught of shipping delays and subsequent coral casualties I've experienced, in the last few years especially.

Will there be delays with UPS? Absolutely. But I really believe UPS's grid is set up better, and more able to withstand the constant hiccups that come with shipping in all seasonal environments. With fed ex, if they have a storm near one of the main hubs as they often do, the whole system goes down. At least for a day. Which we all know is one day too long to have a box of live coral sitting somewhere overnight.

I have switched to.png

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember going into a ups center way back when, and recognizing a union outfit. I do believe that this has some part to play in the resilience of their system, happier employees make happier deliveries. I'm not downplaying the hard work all delivery folks have, but seeing the Amazon trucks driving around with their side doors open when they just need to go a few blocks... I'm always glad to see the ups driver. Although FedEx has always seemed to be more technologically advanced, I have always had a better experience prying a package free from ups than FedEx.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness. Fed ex is terrible, always have issues with them and have no clue of my packages will actually come even when it sais out for delivery. UPS is much better, at least in this area. Never have issues, even call me to come meet them or where to leave packages if my road is snow covered and they can't make it to me. Even give my dogs treats

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My disdain with UPS like FEDEX, is that priority is not a priority!!! I can however pickup my package at the FedEx terminal when they open at 9AM. UPS who NEVER delivers when they're suppose to - come at all hours - even 8PM with coral or a fish. Their pickup counter doesn't open until 3PM and they don't want to hear it. That's insane IMO...
bsa

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx is horrible especially for early before 12 deliveries! I was shocked this order from Adam was at my door around 10 something am I was honestly surprised! Its critical that shipment's like these arrive early especially when your far like me. Sucks to loose period! Good luck Adam hope it works out for you!

The Dude Abides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move. I buy a tough of stuff for my job and FedEx is a train wreck right now. No shipper is a 100% reliable, but UPS is better than FedEx for sure.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! UPS and picking up at a UPS Hub is the way to go for all live stock no matter the weather!! Saves you 3-8 hours of waiting for the truck to show.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx is way better around here than UPS. I get packages somewhere around 2pm. Delivered in a climate controlled van. UPS can and will show up at 8pm. Delivered in that big ole brown hot box with a skylight baking the packages. For that reason I don't buy next day air from vendors that use UPS. I find it ridiculous that we the ones that actually pay the shipping fees don't and can't have our choice of shipping. All because vendors have to be under contract with only one shipping company.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
FedEx is way better around here than UPS. I get packages somewhere around 2pm. Delivered in a climate controlled van. UPS can and will show up at 8pm. Delivered in that big ole brown hot box with a skylight baking the packages. For that reason I don't buy next day air from vendors that use UPS. I find it ridiculous that we the ones that actually pay the shipping fees don't and can't have our choice of shipping. All because vendors have to be under contract with only one shipping company.

I don’t plan on closing my fed ex account for this very reason. In situations like yours were the recipient knows that ups is not so good in their area, will always ship fed ex in these cases.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am waiting for the weather to warm up. Going to break my cherry and get me a battle box!!

Me too! New tank will be up in spring and I'll have to get my first BattleCorals shipment in. I won't use FedEx for any reason. My company doesn't even deal in live animals and I won't use FedEx or any vendor that uses them. I pay extra for UPS whenever I have to.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t plan on closing my fed ex account for this very reason. In situations like yours were the recipient knows that ups is not so good in their area, will always ship fed ex in these cases.
And this is what separates you from all the others! Very happy to hear this. Thank you Adam.

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed ex has delayed many battleboxes and other corals shipments through the years for me. I actually had fish shipped overnight yesterday that were supposed to be here by 12 today and they are stuck in Memphis TN until hopefully tomorrow. I paid good money for fully quarantined fish that I am hoping are not DOA at this point. Not only for the $ but for the health of the animals. Good move taking your business to a different vendor. I hope UPS works out better for you ( and my next battle box. Lol) as you always have made good on their delay which is not your fault!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Fed ex has delayed many battleboxes and other corals shipments through the years for me. I actually had fish shipped overnight yesterday that were supposed to be here by 12 today and they are stuck in Memphis TN until hopefully tomorrow. I paid good money for fully quarantined fish that I am hoping are not DOA at this point. Not only for the $ but for the health of the animals. Good move taking your business to a different vendor. I hope UPS works out better for you ( and my next battle box. Lol) as you always have made good on their delay which is not your fault!

Thanks!
So far it’s been amazing, they have done well. One misfire but Overall way way better.

Oddly enough, I shipped one box this week fed ex, because ups was know to be so so there. The first since before xmas and it’s now on night 2 in Memphis. Hadn’t had the old feeling in a while.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back