It's OVER and DONE with! Outta Here! But this was the best.......

Was there aquarium equipment that hit the market in 2019 that changed the game?

• YES (post in the thread)

Votes: 104 42.3%
  • No

Votes: 135 54.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most revolutionary device IMHO to hit the market in 2019 was the MindStream Aquarium Water Monitor. It's probably the most revolutionary device of the last decade but sadly for now it seems to be gone. I know there are some people who evidently got a batch of disks at the end and are still using it just fine, while others are still using expired disks because not every test stops working at the 30 day mark. You may hate the way it ended, but that does not take anything away from the fact that some of the most brilliant chemist and engineers in this industry built one of the most amazing aquarium devices of 2019.

Boston reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0733D778-2446-46DA-981E-544FD39BE231.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would say although I have not acquired either, it would be the Hydros engine and Trident unit.

clffthmps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a new hobbyist, About a year and a half in. I run a 75 gallon mixed reef,with a fluval Fx6 canister filter.ph 8.1 Am 0 Nitri 0 Nitra 20 cal 430 Alk 9 mag 1340. 5 gallon water change once a week.I don’t use Expensive equipment to run this tank.The corals show great growth and very happy. Green hammer, Purple tip frog, Green mushroom, Red monti, Obliterator, Micromusa, Blastomusa, Zoa, Purple gorgonian,favia,yellow poly, Birdsnest.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automated alkalinity testing ..... game changer? Really! To me its convenience more than game changer. Bandaid for poor reefing practices LOL.

The best piece of equipment I acquired in 2019 was 100% retro - a sulfur reactor.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbot was the biggest thing to me. Trident is great but the amount of options available for that thing is great.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say the Trident was a game changer.
Truly the one and piece of Neptune's equipment, that for me has worked flawlessly.
Does it make me a lazy reefer. Nope.
Lets be honest when the testing was manually needed I like many often did not have the time or pushed it off. So then no testing occurred.
The consistant testing and ability to agdjust dosing on the fly is fantastic for the reefer.
If anything I am more in tune with my tank now EVERYDAY Mutiple times a day.
Manual testing for me was every few days and sometimes was shocked as to the difference of change in the water colum.
Therefore water colum changes were more dramatic and the following corections were as well.
My tank has never been more stable, nor requires dramatic changes.

immortl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most revolutionary device IMHO to hit the market in 2019 was the MindStream Aquarium Water Monitor. It's probably the most revolutionary device of the last decade but sadly for now it seems to be gone. I know there are some people who evidently got a batch of disks at the end and are still using it just fine, while others are still using expired disks because not every test stops working at the 30 day mark. You may hate the way it ended, but that does not take anything away from the fact that some of the most brilliant chemist and engineers in this industry built one of the most amazing aquarium devices of 2019.

I missed this, what happened to the company? Did they give up and the devices/disks are no longer being made/available? Or is the above an expression of frustration with slow delivery and back orders? Just curious.

For me automatic dosers were the 'thing' of 2019. After 8 years, I finally put one in for Alk and my tank is doing better than ever.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident for me also. I will admit for the first six months I couldn't tell you what my parameters where. Honestly I have tons of test kits but rarely used any of them. Being colorblind doesn't help either. Now I can tell you day by day what my parameters are thanks to the Trident.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this, what happened to the company? Did they give up and the devices/disks are no longer being made/available? Or is the above an expression of frustration with slow delivery and back orders? Just curious.

For me automatic dosers were the 'thing' of 2019. After 8 years, I finally put one in for Alk and my tank is doing better than ever.

The company could not handle the supply of disks because they were made by hand. So they turned to their investors for more cash to purchase robotic machines to make the disks. They got the money and machines but the time involved in setting them up and creating the software to control them was so long that they needed more capital to pay the bills. Ultimately this next requirement for money was not one that the investors were willing to make. So basically they ran out of cash even though they had sold nearly 2000 units and delivered several hundred to reef keepers. Stay tuned the fat lady has not sung yet. Some very smart people are seeing the potential of this product and it may continue under another brand.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkatronic and Dosetronic combo!

I'm going to second you on that the combination of these 2 pieces of equipment which are brilliant and I know that with their Mastertronic which comes out this year it will take stability to a whole new untouchable level.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea's ReefLED's, are an amazing piece of equipment, when you lose power or wifi you'll get a notification on your phone from the app, and if it's for a pro-longed period, you'll actually get a text message aswell.

The colouration is absolutely lovely, I've had corals really come 'back to life' after switching over from other LED lighting.

Colouration has improved massively, growth has been amazing.
I also have picked up the redsea LED's (in the 50 watt range). I got them setup and cant wait to see how they do. I picked up a ReefBot also but have not started using it as of yet but am looking forward to that as it is much more versatile than the others out there and they continue to look for ways to add more test.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[
Not that I know of. I don't see automatic testing as a game changer. It's just another form of testing.
I've been assuming that people mention automatic testing as a game changer if it's coupled with controllability. Triton, I'm guessing, is a game changer because DOS will automatically adjust to keep the levels. Stuff like this is going to continue making this hobby easier for people, and can hopefully help it continue to grow.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Automatic Rollermats. I know they were out before 2019 but those were basic. In 2019 we got to see better designs and Big sump companies integrating them in their sumps. Like Trigger Systems and Geo,s Reef sumps.
S36R-PRO-AFRf-100x100.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back