It's the Last Tank, I Promise... dustinc's 120 gal SPS Build (BRS/WWC Hybrid)

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Fishes...

So, I'm seeing that the Pink Margin Wrasse wants to be a bully and is chasing around all the other wrasses quite often, so I figured it was time to add the Tang Gang to help break up the aggression a bit. I went to pickup my 3 tangs that were in their tank together, and have been for about a week, and they looked excellent. Fat bellies and eating off the algae clip. So, my buddy Lee bagged them up for me and I brought them home. I acclimated them for a little over an hour and did a very low intensity extension of my light schedule once I put them in the tank. I feed a half cube of Spirulina and they all 3 went after the food. I also added a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and about 5 blue leg hermits and about 8 red banded trochus snails. The Pink Streak, Red Sea 8 Line Flasher, and Pink Margin all seem to be doing well. I haven't seen the exquisite for a couple days and he was the primary fish being bullied, so I'm hoping he's just hiding, but also fear he may have gotten beat up. My plan is to let the Tang Gang settle in over the next few days and then add the Quoyi Parrot to the mix. He's quite a bit larger than all the other fish, so I want to let these settle in a bit first, but man is he beautiful. He was swimming around and eating off the algae clip while I was there.

So, below I'll post a 4 second video showing the Tang Gang swimming around a bit (sorry for the kitchen lighting reflection, I didn't notice while recording). That was easier than getting individual photos with my phone tonight. You'll also see I subbed out the Kole Tang for a Blue Hippo Tang. I was a little worried about the Kole Tang's aggression long term and my son continued to ask for, you know, the D word... So I'm hoping it can last a while in the tank and he is definitely the smallest of the group.

The Tang Gang

Last edited:
OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time!

So the tang gang has settled in quite nicely. Everyone is fat, happy, and getting along, so I added the Quoyi Parrot last night. He's absolutely gorgeous and fun to watch glide around the tank and pick at the bare bottom and the rock for algae. He also enjoys swimming in the current of the MP40s! I'm going to let these fish settle in for a couple more weeks before I start adding the next fish on the list. I managed to grab some pics of all the fish and I'll introduce you to each of them according to the names my wife and/or son gave the fish...

Teddy - Quoyi Parrotfish
IMG_4155.JPG

Daisy - Yellow Tang & Prison Mike - Convict Tang
IMG_4163.JPG

Doris - Blue Hippo Tang (Wife said it needed to be a sophisticated version of Dory)
IMG_4165.JPG

Oscar - Pink Margin Wrasse

IMG_4153.JPG

Frankie - Red Sea 8 Line Flasher Wrasse
IMG_4164.JPG

Dash - Pink Streak Wrasse
IMG_4169.JPG

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the parrot adjusting? Have u been running lights on during this period?

He's doing very well, as well as all the other fish. They are all fat and seem happy. All eat very well and seem to get along well as well. I started running the lights the week after the first fish to try and get some algae going for the Parrot and Tangs as well as get past the ugly phase. I really haven't hit an ugly phase though, and I think it's due to the UV sterilizer keeping it at bay. I also dosed a bottle of the purple and pink helix Coraline algae last week, so hopefully will start to see that working its way on the rocks soon. So far, I'm very happy with how everything is going. All levels are testing well!

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that, I’m looking forward to seeing your progression. I’m starting the hybrid method this weekend myself. Be careful what you wish for, maybe you’ll bypass the ugly phase with the tang gang lol. Keep us updated on the helix and if it works pretty good or not. Thanks for the reply and have a good night or morning depending on where your from lol.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that, I’m looking forward to seeing your progression. I’m starting the hybrid method this weekend myself. Be careful what you wish for, maybe you’ll bypass the ugly phase with the tang gang lol. Keep us updated on the helix and if it works pretty good or not. Thanks for the reply and have a good night or morning depending on where your from lol.

Thanks! That's the hope, but we will see. Good luck with the patience of waiting 2 months before the first fish... I couldn't take it! ha ha.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!!!

Obviously a lot of craziness going on in the world right now, so not a ton of changes to the tank. The fish have been settling in very nice and no issues at all. A couple weeks ago, I also added the pair of Phantom Clowns. I have a Royal Gramma and a Bi-Color Blenny waiting on me as well. I did some significant par testing with my LEDs only, T5 only, and the combo. I'm averaging about 350 par throughout the tank with my current schedule and setup, and it's very balanced par, so very pleased with the setup.

My biggest project during this time was I built a new checkout counter for my friend's LFS. I'm very happy with how it came together. The far left will have the fridge on top, the middle "cubbies" will bagged fish and corals to keep them from falling off the counter while shopping and checking out, the raised portion holds the point of sale on top and the cash drawer underneath, and the far right he will have a small nano tank setup that he sells as a pre-packaged setup for customers including rock, sand, livestock, etc.

Hope everyone is staying safe out there!

IMG_4350.JPG

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice and coralline algae growth after adding the 2 bottles yet?

Unfortunately, not a drop...

I've got several updates I'll be posting, it's just been a crazy time the last few months as everyone knows. Everything is doing absolutely wonderful and about time to start adding some corals!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build and that cabinet! Question in regard to it and those doors/removable pannels. Mind sharing how you got them secured and take them out/put them back in? Reason I ask is because this is precisely what I want to do with my stand, but havent quite figured out how to go about it yet. Last piece of the puzzle for me stand wise.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build and that cabinet! Question in regard to it and those doors/removable pannels. Mind sharing how you got them secured and take them out/put them back in? Reason I ask is because this is precisely what I want to do with my stand, but havent quite figured out how to go about it yet. Last piece of the puzzle for me stand wise.

Thank you! On the 2 removable panels, I used magnets I purchased from Rockler. I made a lip at the back of the frame as well to hold the door panel flush with the front as well. See below pics for this part, hope they help.

IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4755.JPG
IMG_4756.JPG

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***Update Time***

So I have now finalized all my fish collection, and things are going absolutely great with no issues at all to this point. I'm very pleased with everything and how things have come together. I re-plumbed the UV sterilizer as well, and it is much more out of the way and does not feel as thrown together as it did before. I also received my ATO container from Melev's Reef which helped clean everything up and gives me over 10 gallons of top off water. Below I'll post a few pics of the stand after getting everything re-plumbed and the new ATO container as well as the current state of the livestock as of today...

As for the new fish, several weeks ago I added a Phantom Clown Pair, Bi-Color Blenny (tailspot tough to find) & Royal Gramma and today I added a Rainford's Goby, Pair of Neon Blue Gobies, and a Blotchy Anthias to complete my stock list. Everything has been doing excellent and I am very ready to get some sticks in the tank!

Blotchy Anthias
IMG_4760.jpg

Rainford's Goby
IMG_4757.jpg

Neon Goby (Other is in the hole hidden)
IMG_4763.JPG

Sump Area
IMG_4545.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank. any updates.

Unfortunately, it’s on its way down. Found out I’ll be relocating in the next year, so can’t keep adding and piling money into it only to tear it down. It’s been an absolutely awesome setup and the tank, stand, and canopy are already sold and supposed to be picked up Tuesday of next week. It’s going in to good hands. I’ll post a last pic or video soon before broken down.

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, it’s on its way down. Found out I’ll be relocating in the next year, so can’t keep adding and piling money into it only to tear it down. It’s been an absolutely awesome setup and the tank, stand, and canopy are already sold and supposed to be picked up Tuesday of next week. It’s going in to good hands. I’ll post a last pic or video soon before broken down.
sorry to hear. Same reason my first tank I shutdown was when I was in the military and had to move a lot.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back