It's the Last Tank, I Promise... dustinc's 120 gal SPS Build (BRS/WWC Hybrid)

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefing family!

Tank: 120 Gallon Planet Mega Matrix 120 w/ Crystal Glass, Black Background, and Internal Overflow (48.5" x 24.5" x 25")
Lighting: (2) Kessil A360x & (2) LET 2 Bulb T5 retrofit units (4 ATI Blue+ bulbs total)
Stand: Custom
Sump: Trigger Platinum 34 Sump w/ Filter Roller
Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT w/ CO2 Scrubber
Return Pump: Ecotech Marine Vectra S2
Heater: BRS Titanium 600watt
Circulation: 4 x MP40wQD
Controllers & Dosing: Neptune Apex EL & Ecotech Versa Dosing Pump
UV Sterilizer: Pentair 25 watt Smart UV

I wanted to start a thread to document my new build. The title is what I told my wife after having 387,642 tanks over the years, at least that's how many she sees it as. To this point, I've purchased the tank, sump, and plumbing pieces. I'm building a custom stand and canopy for the setup so that it matches our home cabinetry, as that was a must for my wife as she's an interior designer. The pics below will document where the tank is going and the start of the stand. I currently have the tank stand base completed and plan to finish the cabinetry for the stand this weekend as well as complete the plumbing. I'm very excited about this build and will be following the BRS/WWC hybrid method they explained in their video series, which starts with a 4 month cycle before adding corals. Let's begin!

Our Living Area (The Tank will be in this area)
P1000566-HDR.JPG

Stand Beginnings
Stand Beginnings.jpg

Completed Stand Base in it's Place
Stand Base in Place.jpg

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice start to the last aquarium ever! :oops:

seriously, that is a beautiful space for the new tank!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Beautiful home!

Thank you sir. We love it and needless to say, I think my wife is pretty good at her job!

Nice start to the last aquarium ever! :oops:

seriously, that is a beautiful space for the new tank!

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

Attached is a photo of the outside of our home. We just finished it in July 2019, and it's our floor plan that we designed from scratch with our builder. We are in a historic downtown area and surrounded by a lot of old craftsman style homes, so we built one to fit the area, with all the great modern amenities available today.
P1000706-HDR.JPG

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. We love it and needless to say, I think my wife is pretty good at her job!

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.

Attached is a photo of the outside of our home. We just finished it in July 2019, and it's our floor plan that we designed from scratch with our builder. We are in a historic downtown area and surrounded by a lot of old craftsman style homes, so we built one to fit the area, with all the great modern amenities available today.
P1000706-HDR.JPG
It is funny, I am originally from Dallas and am familiar/have spent time in Waxahachie, I had never noticed craftsman style homes there, but they are certainly some of my favorites haha. She seems great at her job, I'm just a wanna be interior designer that watches a lot of HGTV when I am not at work lol.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny, I am originally from Dallas and am familiar/have spent time in Waxahachie, I had never noticed craftsman style homes there, but they are certainly some of my favorites haha. She seems great at her job, I'm just a wanna be interior designer that watches a lot of HGTV when I am not at work lol.

That's crazy! We just moved here about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. It's grown a ton probably from when you were here, depending on how long it's been. We love it because it has everything you need, but still feels like a small town. We love being able to walk to the coffee shops on the weekend and have breakfast. HGTV is a great way to get some ideas for sure!

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy! We just moved here about 2 years ago and absolutely love it. It's grown a ton probably from when you were here, depending on how long it's been. We love it because it has everything you need, but still feels like a small town. We love being able to walk to the coffee shops on the weekend and have breakfast. HGTV is a great way to get some ideas for sure!
I left Dallas about 3 years ago, I didn't spend much time in the downtown area that you are referring to though, mainly in neighborhoods, one of my work associates worked from home out there and I would go meet with him on occasion. I miss Texas for sure!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left Dallas about 3 years ago, I didn't spend much time in the downtown area that you are referring to though, mainly in neighborhoods, one of my work associates worked from home out there and I would go meet with him on occasion. I miss Texas for sure!

That's awesome man! We will welcome you back down the road.

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home and great job on the stand!
Did I miss what lighting you have chosen for your last tank ever??? Ha. I can relate to that.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful home and great job on the stand!
Did I miss what lighting you have chosen for your last tank ever??? Ha. I can relate to that.

Thank you! The stand will look much better once I get it wrapped to match our cabinets as well. You didn't miss it, I completely forgot to add it above. Ha ha. Thanks for letting me know. I've since edited the post, but my plan is (2) Kessil A360x & 4 T5 bulbs.

Fishboy9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The stand will look much better once I get it wrapped to match our cabinets as well. You didn't miss it, I completely forgot to add it above. Ha ha. Thanks for letting me know. I've since edited the post, but my plan is (2) Kessil A360x & 4 T5 bulbs.
Can I ask why you chose the Kessils?

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck!! you bring back memories of a 250 gallon in wall I built 15 years ago.

Thank you! Man, I bet that was a lot of fun!

Can I ask why you chose the Kessils?

A couple reasons for me. The first being I've never used them before so like the idea of something new. I also like the shimmer I've seen with them compared to other LEDs I've both seen and tried in the past. I also like that the spread is very wide and I only have to install about 7-8" above the tank to get even spread and with me building a canopy, that will be much easier to achieve without having to build a weirdly tall canopy.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work on the build and the house!! :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that. The house was 99% my wife... Ha ha!

She is defiantly a keeper. One of my favorite designs is the craftsmen style. We see very little of that here in central Florida.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Trigger Systems Platinum 34 sump for this build. I love keeping very polished water in my systems, but hate washing filter socks consistently and it can be a pain to swap them every couple days. In doing research on sump options, I narrowed it down to the GEO filter roller sump and the Trigger. I decided on the Trigger because GEO had a 10-12 week turnaround time and Trigger is also local to me so feel if I have an issue, it can be easily addressed. I received the sump and I'm very impressed. I've owned several Trigger products in the past and they make great stuff and very high quality for a high volume operation. The filter roller seems very easy to operate and I like the design of how it ensures everything passes through the filter. It was very easy to assemble following along with their video. Attached are some unboxing and completion pics.

Boxed Sump
Boxed Sump.jpg

Sump with all packing removed from inside
Wrapped Sump.jpg

Parts
Sump Parts.jpg

Completed Sump
Sump.jpg

Last edited:
Back