It's the Last Tank, I Promise... dustinc's 120 gal SPS Build (BRS/WWC Hybrid)

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great so far. following along

Thank you so much for the feedback. Your rock work is pretty sweet on your build!

Great start and equipment list. Good luck!
I just bought a 120 also.

Thank you very much! I'm very excited about where it's headed right now. I would be excited to see your build as well.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy Sneak Peak...

I have the canopy frame completed and 1 coat of primer applied to the doors. I did a test fit today and it fits well. I absolutely hate painting things, so I'm working to find someone to paint the whole set of doors and the canopy for a good price so I don't have to... I also ordered my 2 Kessil A360x today, so I hope to have the canopy and doors painted & installed by the weekend.

IMG_3956.JPG

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small Update:

I'm 2 weeks into the initial cycle, and man it's SO hard to wait 2 months before adding fish to the tank, but I'm sticking with my plan... I received my UV sterilizer today and plan to get it plumbed in the tank this weekend. I also found someone to paint my doors and canopy for a reasonable price, so hope to get those completed this weekend and installed ASAP. I'll document the UV installation and lighting installation when I start that process!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy Lighting Installation

Today, I received the canopy back from the painter, so I started installing the lighting and fans. This was my first time installing a retrofit system in a canopy, but it was pretty easy overall. I followed FishofHex's YouTube video and it made it even easier to understand. I also installed my 140mm fans in the back of the hood (1 in and 1 out) to help keep the ballasts and bulbs cool. I also ordered some stainless screws and spacers from McMaster Carr to mount my Kessils in the hood solidly, and it all turned out great. I'm hoping to get the doors from the painter on Tuesday and I will work to install those and have a completed stand and canopy. Enjoy the pics below of the installation process.

Canopy w/ Fans Only
IMG_3985.jpg

Canopy w/ 2 Bulbs
IMG_3986.jpg

Canopy w/ 4 Bulbs
IMG_3988.jpg

Canopy w/ All Lighting Installed (still had some wire cleanup to do)
IMG_3989.JPG

Test Firing!
IMG_3994.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Give me an honest opinion on the tank. Considering upgrading to a 72" one. I have a 6 0 inch tank by a different manufacturer now. But my tang has been growing and would like more swimming area. Love your home!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. Give me an honest opinion on the tank. Considering upgrading to a 72" one. I have a 6 0 inch tank by a different manufacturer now. But my tang has been growing and would like more swimming area. Love your home!

Thank you so much for the compliment.

As for the tank, this is the 2nd Planet I've owned. The first was a custom w/ PVC bottom and non standard dimensions and this one a Mega Matrix, so basically a nice standard tank. There was definitely a difference in build quality with the custom compared to this one. However, I'm very happy with this tank overall. The glass and seams are very well done and look great and I have no complaints at all. I told someone the other day, I think Planet tanks are the best combination of quality and value in the "custom" tank market. Good luck man!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment Update

Yesterday, I received 2 more MP40s, a Versa single head dosing pump, and a CO2 scrubber to help with my low pH. I haven't opened the Versa, but when I do, I will post some detailed pictures and my thoughts on it compared to other dosing pumps I've used in the past. I did get the other 2 MP40s up and running and definitely added to the overall flow in the tank. I have all 4 on the back wall for now, and hope I can keep them that way as to not obstruct the side view. As for the CO2 scrubber, I'm crazy impressed with the difference it has made. I'm sure once the lights start coming on and the cycle is complete, I will see even better numbers here. I'll post a picture from my Apex, and let's see if you can tell when the scrubber was hooked up...

CO2 Scrubber from BRS
IMG_4011.JPG

Apex After Install
IMG_4010.jpg

Equipment Cabinet Updated
IMG_4009.JPG

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impatience Setting In...

So, we are right at the halfway point of the fishless cycle. I'm getting very impatient, but hanging in there the best I can with the long-term goals in sight. I have put in my order with my favorite LFS for my "Group 1" fish that will be my first additions to the tank. So, I figured I would let everyone know what those first 4 fish in group one are.... My first fish are going to be my worker group for algae, also known as the "Tang Gang" +1.

So my first 4 fish will be the following:
1) Kole Tang
2) Yellow Tang
3) Convict Tang
4) Quoyi Parrotfish

I'm super anxious to get them in and acclimated and hoping my impatience will subside.... See attached group photo of Group 1.

Group 1.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup Update

I was finally able to get all my doors finished and installed on my stand and canopy, and it definitely makes a big difference to the look of the system and my wife is much happier because I don't have stuff all over our dining room table...

Also, I installed the UV sterilizer today, and I'm honestly quite nervous about using it long term because plumbing it in wasn't near as clean as I would like it to be and it takes up so much space. I'm definitely going to give it some time and let it help with the initial algae bloom potential and hopefully help with my new fish editions, but I'm just not sold on it from a sheer size perspective. This is my first time utilizing UV in my 15ish years in the hobby, so it's also quite new to me.

Updated Tank Shot
IMG_4072.JPG

Left Side
IMG_4070.JPG

Right Side
IMG_4071.JPG

Light Spill Test
IMG_4073.JPG

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent cabinetry. I’m taking some notes! Any pics of how you hinged the doors?

Not really anything crazy, I just used the Blumotion inset hinges by Blum and picked them up from Rockler. Very easy to install and made a big difference in the overall look. I also ordered some small handles that will be barely visible, but give me something to grab to open the doors if need be. Good luck! Woodworking can be a lot of fun.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last build ever? That's a tall order. lol

Looks good.

Definitely a very tall order! Ha ha! I'm doing my best to plan everything well so I don't have that itch shortly of, "I wish I would have done xx" so that I can truly see the tank become mature and do what it should do and be a beautiful piece of life and art.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, im curious if your having any issues with dripping down the glass into the offset on the lip of the stand. i did a 40gal starphire open top, when the starphire just came out, heck 10+ years ago with a 60gal sump and had that issue when i didn't catch the drips, which was way more than you would think. I ended up drilling small holes in the corners to compensate, but i also ( not really at the time thinking about drips, more thinking about bulkhead leaks) used epoxy resin that helped funnel the water to the corners so it could drip into the sump.

post-959-0-04726500-1305680985.jpg

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's everybody getting "last tank ever"? He just said, "last tank". The word "ever" was not part of the statement. When he does another it will become "last tank", and then...

PS: Love the big map. I'm a major map nerd.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build, im curious if your having any issues with dripping down the glass into the offset on the lip of the stand. i did a 40gal starphire open top, when the starphire just came out, heck 10+ years ago with a 60gal sump and had that issue when i didn't catch the drips, which was way more than you would think. I ended up drilling small holes in the corners to compensate, but i also ( not really at the time thinking about drips, more thinking about bulkhead leaks) used epoxy resin that helped funnel the water to the corners so it could drip into the sump.

post-959-0-04726500-1305680985.jpg

Thank you! I haven't had that problem at all, but it's definitely something I thought about early on, and the 2nd tank that I've built a stand for that never had that problem either. I'm sure it will happen from time to time, however, I've always been very careful and work hard to not spill and also wipe anything immediately if there is any dripping or splashing.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's everybody getting "last tank ever"? He just said, "last tank". The word "ever" was not part of the statement. When he does another it will become "last tank", and then...

PS: Love the big map. I'm a major map nerd.

You caught it... Just "Last Tank..." Could have meant in the first quarter of 2020... ha ha!

Thanks, we definitely love it too. We found it on the Texas Land Office website and our home site is actually listed on the map. Below is a copy of the map, see if you can find the "X" on our lot to mark where our home sits today. Also, plenty of other interesting things on the map as well.

IMG_1875.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back