It's the Last Tank, I Promise... dustinc's 120 gal SPS Build (BRS/WWC Hybrid)

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Also, plenty of other interesting things on the map as well.
Texas maps are always "interesting". Pretty much the only way you'll find something in Texas is if you already know where it is.

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texas maps are always "interesting". Pretty much the only way you'll find something in Texas is if you already know where it is.
I was gifted by a customer a few of the oil field maps framed from 1901 - 1928 in Texas they have travel routes and the larger production locations they are pretty cool, but nothing near that size, thats pretty awesome and a great idea for wall decoration.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's for sure! I'm from a small town in Oklahoma and I have to use GPS for everything down here... Ha ha!

I was gifted by a customer a few of the oil field maps framed from 1901 - 1928 in Texas they have travel routes and the larger production locations they are pretty cool, but nothing near that size, thats pretty awesome and a great idea for wall decoration.

That's awesome! It's 7ft x 7ft, so had to build a custom frame and took me weeks to find a place to print that size without having to join 2 pieces together, but found it in New York City and they printed and shipped it fairly reasonable.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Oklahoma? I live in OKC.

I’m originally from Checotah, OK, small town where I-40 and US 69 intersect and lived there until I went to college at NSU in Tahlequah. Then left for Arkansas and came back to Oklahoma for a couple years in Owasso, OK, then back to Arkansas and now Texas.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m originally from Checotah, OK, small town where I-40 and US 69 intersect and lived there until I went to college at NSU in Tahlequah. Then left for Arkansas and came back to Oklahoma for a couple years in Owasso, OK, then back to Arkansas and now Texas.
"I think I missed a turn."
"Do you have any idea where you are?"
"I just passed a sign that said 'Check-O-Taw'"
(Sorry, just the Okies will understand that conversation.)

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build. It's off to a great start. Can't wait to see the progression. GLWB. I award your patience on the build also.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build thread!! I’m right behind you by a few weeks! I’m about 2 weeks wet with microbact7.. what’s your fish list looking like? If you plan on adding more than the Tang’s and parrot I would probably introduce less territorial fish first.. then the tang gang towards the end..

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I think I missed a turn."
"Do you have any idea where you are?"
"I just passed a sign that said 'Check-O-Taw'"
(Sorry, just the Okies will understand that conversation.)

Ha ha! That's exactly right... Only people that know Checotah are locals and Carrie Underwood fans!

Looking great - how easy/difficult were the LET retro kits to install? Would you buy them again?

They were very easy to install. I found a video on YouTube by FishofHex and it helped me understand it easily. I would definitely use again. I decided on them over prefab retros because the wiring was smaller (ie not a large wire coming off the side) and also because the reflectors are of higher quality.

Love the build. It's off to a great start. Can't wait to see the progression. GLWB. I award your patience on the build also.

Thank you. We will see if that patience keeps up!

Great build thread!! I’m right behind you by a few weeks! I’m about 2 weeks wet with microbact7.. what’s your fish list looking like? If you plan on adding more than the Tang’s and parrot I would probably introduce less territorial fish first.. then the tang gang towards the end..

Yessir, I've thought a lot about that part of the conversation. I've never added tangs first, but the main reason I am in this build is for algae maintenance, and also because the other rounds of fish will be coming quite quickly after the initial introductions. Traditionally it's always the simple and shy fish first, but it seems to be more people are moving away from that with solid planning. After the tangs/parrot are introduced, within 1-2 weeks, I'll be adding 5 different wrasse species. Then on from there with some other fish. The primary reason I chose 3 tangs over 2 is to break up the aggression and don't feel the other fish I have planned should encourage aggression with those tangs I've chosen. We will see how it goes!

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha! That's exactly right... Only people that know Checotah are locals and Carrie Underwood fans!

They were very easy to install. I found a video on YouTube by FishofHex and it helped me understand it easily. I would definitely use again. I decided on them over prefab retros because the wiring was smaller (ie not a large wire coming off the side) and also because the reflectors are of higher quality.

Thank you. We will see if that patience keeps up!

Yessir, I've thought a lot about that part of the conversation. I've never added tangs first, but the main reason I am in this build is for algae maintenance, and also because the other rounds of fish will be coming quite quickly after the initial introductions. Traditionally it's always the simple and shy fish first, but it seems to be more people are moving away from that with solid planning. After the tangs/parrot are introduced, within 1-2 weeks, I'll be adding 5 different wrasse species. Then on from there with some other fish. The primary reason I chose 3 tangs over 2 is to break up the aggression and don't feel the other fish I have planned should encourage aggression with those tangs I've chosen. We will see how it goes!

keep Me posted!!!!
I have a purple tang and a yellow tang in an old tank that I plan on moving over to the new wwc/Brs tank I’m doing..

what’s your complete fish list look like? I’m stuck as to what I should stock. I like anthias and the traditional clowns too.I plan on adding a bristletooth and a convict at the same time as the other 2 Tang’s. Also to reduce aggression, but first I’m going to add the more timid fish.

Any suggestions?

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does the rest of you fish stock list look like. I am planning on adding a few wrasse myself. Hard to decide do to the fact that there so many to choose from.

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep Me posted!!!!
I have a purple tang and a yellow tang in an old tank that I plan on moving over to the new wwc/Brs tank I’m doing..

what’s your complete fish list look like? I’m stuck as to what I should stock. I like anthias and the traditional clowns too.I plan on adding a bristletooth and a convict at the same time as the other 2 Tang’s. Also to reduce aggression, but first I’m going to add the more timid fish.

Any suggestions?
What does the rest of you fish stock list look like. I am planning on adding a few wrasse myself. Hard to decide do to the fact that there so many to choose from.

So, many people will probably consider what I'm doing very heavily stocked, which it is heavy, however, I have many things in place to export things quickly as well with 4 MP40s stirring and getting everything to the sump and auto filter roller, UV sterilizer, well balanced skimmer, and consistent maintenance. See below for my updated stocking plan. Will be a total of 22 fish and lots of open swimming area. Acros need a consistent food source and nothing better than fish poo. I'm also updating the previous group 1 as I've decided to go with a regular Kole tang over the White Tail. One of the other reasons I'm adding in this order is because if any fish get eliminated, it will be the Anthias, and they are going last as the groups and I'll be able to guage how the system is handling the load and how things are going. See below and let me know you guys thoughts.

Group 1
Group 1.png

Group 2
Group 2.png

Group 3
Group 3.png

Group 4
Group 4.png

Final Fish
Final Fish.png

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection of wrasses.. how do they fair with other wrasses and bare bottom? Also are you adding 7 anthias?

You can add multiple male wrasses in the same family, as long as they aren’t the same species, and it’s actually preferred because you’ll see them flash at each other and show their best colors. I also picked 4 of the most peaceful of the fairy and flasher types. Also, none of the ones I selected require a sandbed.

As for the Anthias, the plan is to add a group of 7, but that will just depend on everything else in the tank at the time. The benefit of schooling fish is they tend to break up aggression from other fish in my experience.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add multiple male wrasses in the same family, as long as they aren’t the same species, and it’s actually preferred because you’ll see them flash at each other and show their best colors. I also picked 4 of the most peaceful of the fairy and flasher types. Also, none of the ones I selected require a sandbed.

As for the Anthias, the plan is to add a group of 7, but that will just depend on everything else in the tank at the time. The benefit of schooling fish is they tend to break up aggression from other fish in my experience.

yes I agree with more fish in the water the other fish feel more comfortable which leads to less aggression..

I think I’m going to try out those wrasses too!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I agree with more fish in the water the other fish feel more comfortable which leads to less aggression..

I think I’m going to try out those wrasses too!

Wrasses are always a great choice for a reef tank. You'll be glad you did it!

Nice build thread, like the direction you are going! Will be following along.

Thank you for following along!

OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIFE!!!

So, what is life without changing plans...

My man Lee, who owns the LFS where I get all my fish, got my Group 1 in last week. He called to let me know he had the Quoyi, Yellow Tang, Convict Tang, and Kole Tang ready for me when I was ready. I heavily contemplated putting them in this weekend, but I know I'm a little early on the 2 months before the first fish... So, we talked a lot about it and he also had 4 of the 5 wrasses I wanted, one of which, the pink streak wrasse, was from my old setup that I took down last year, so I decided to add the wrasses today and the plan is to let them settle in this week and add the tang gang +1 next weekend. Also, I decided to make 1 change to my tang gang again that I'm on the fence about, but I'm trying to get my 7 year old son to be more interested in the hobby, but I'll figure that out when it's time to add them this weekend. I'm very excited to have some life in the tank and really think I got some beauties!

So, Group 1 turned out to be...

Group 1.png

The 2 changes to the list are the 8 Line Flasher (Red Sea) in place of the Linespot Flasher. The 8 Line Flasher is much more hard to find and definitely more of a collectors piece, and when I saw it flashing at another Wrasse in the tank he was in, I had to have it! I also got an Exquisite Fairy Wrasse from a different region with a different color pattern. I got a couple pictures that I'll post, but definitely don't think they do them justice, especially the 8 line. I do have a picture of the Quoyi as well, and I can't wait to add him to the tank!

McCoskers
IMG_4109.JPG

8 Line

IMG_4108.JPG

Pink Margin
IMG_4110.JPG

Exquisite
IMG_4107.JPG

Quoyi waiting for pickup
IMG_4090.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
dustinc

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the McCosker's was dead and stuck to the MP40 this morning when I woke up, so that's a bummer. We were a little worried about him because he got stuck in the net at the LFS and was a little difficult to get out. All the other fish seem to be doing well and all ate well today. The Pink Margin definitely seems to be the boss with the 8 line not really too worried about it. The exquisite to this point seems pretty shy and hides a lot, but comes out to eat. Hopefully they all settle in quickly and get comfortable. I believe I'm just going to keep moving with the 4 wrasses and not add an additional flasher. Another thing I'm going to have to figure out is heat management. The tank is rising from about 78 to 80 with the lights on and the canopy closed up. I have the 2 large fans on the back that push a lot of air, but may not be enough to keep it cool. I'm evaporating much less water now, so may need to add a fan on the surface of the water in the sump to help do some evaporative cooling. I'm supposed to get my ATO container the Melev (Marc Levenson) is making for me sometime next week, so that will give me a lot more top off water availability. It's definitely nice having something to look at in the tank right now and ready to see some more fish over the coming days and weeks.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back