It's time for another good idea |bad idea... [Reefers Vs. Summer Heat]

Is this a good idea or bad idea? And why?

• Total voters

Jaymzha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea or Bad idea?

The Problem:
Without a chillers, most reefers can only
heat > cool water,
but NOT cool > warm water.

My oberservation:
Especially during the winter I chose to add the new salt water into my heater chamber during water changes. But, I realized after doing so many water changes (each about 10%) that doing it this way, my tank doesn't fluctuate temperatures drastically +/-.5 - 1° even with using new water at 60° or even 50°.

But that only works during the winter.

So again...
The Problem:
heat > cool water,

But many of us (esp. on the east coast) are always worried about the Summer Heat. Many of us do not leave the AC on all day when we are out. But as a consequence, I've personally had temperatures reach up to 85° last year . But, Chillers are expensive, obnoxiously big, and many have terrible reviews.

So I had an idea...

Nutshell:
Keep ATO water in a picnic cooler relative to tank's size and heating capability.

Diy Method:
1. Get a cheap temperature resistant cooler (ie. Igloo, Coleman etc.)
2. Clean and add in clean RODI.
3. Cool water with Ice Packs or Bags of ice and get the water to desired cooler temperature (ie. 60° or less for me). Then remove icers. Them temp should stay relatively the same throughout the day.
4. Close the lid with small opening for ATO line.
5. Use cooler water for ATO to heating chamber to counter summer heatwaves, higher evaporation rates, but also get heated by heating chamber if temps go below the standard 78°.
6. Rinse and repeat as ATO temp rises.

The theory:
As Summer heat waves cause tank water to evaporate quicker and tank temperatures to rise, the 'cooler' ATO water will keep the temperature better regulated by adding cooler temp water and doing it in a safe way after testing what 'what cold water temp' your tank can handle.

Also, just to tie it all together.
My 10% water changes at 60° was safe.
My ATO will be set to add way less at about 2%.
It might not make a huge difference, but thinking that splashing in 'safe temp' cooler water during every ATO evaporation cycle might be able to battle the Summer heat.

Would like to hear thoughts, opinions, and yes even criticisms (Although there is the obvious crowd that loves to doom diy reefers for trying something new. I come in peace ✌.)

So Good idea or Bad idea?

20230307_221517.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the effects of cooled ATO water will be minimal at best. It’s very easy to heat because everything causes heat (pumps, weather, lights, metabolism etc)

I think a better idea would be to use fans pointing in the tank because it encourages more evaporation which is a cooling process.

Filling gallon jugs and freezing them allows you to have an ice pack you can reuse in your tank.

If you are still having too much heat, I would get a chiller. It’s not as daunting as it may seem.

OP
OP
Jaymzha

Jaymzha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the effects of cooled ATO water will be minimal at best. It’s very easy to heat because everything causes heat (pumps, weather, lights, metabolism etc)

I think a better idea would be to use fans pointing in the tank because it encourages more evaporation which is a cooling process.

Filling gallon jugs and freezing them allows you to have an ice pack you can reuse in your tank.

If you are still having too much heat, I would get a chiller. It’s not as daunting as it may seem.
Yes, definitely will use fans in conjunction as well. Thanks for mentioning. Great idea about the gallon jugs. And yes, a good chiller is on my wish list, just finding a reasonable one that performs well. Thanks doc.

OP
OP
Jaymzha

Jaymzha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thermodynamics dont work.
Not enough ato cooling to offset tank heating.
Definitely keeping that in mind. I was thinking it does have a better chance at cooling because after 79° it doesn't have to battle my heater and just the room temp. But in this case scenario even if its helps even just a little, I'd rather aim to have my tank fluctuate +2° than +7° when not doing anything about it. Thanks Pistondog.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run fans clipped on each end of my tanks with a temp controller, 90g and 210g. I get 3-4 degrees drop from ambient temp. Because of evap I do fill my ato more often. I run an iceprobe chiller on my bc29 and get the same 3-4 degree drop. I set my summertime tank temp to 80.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely keeping that in mind. I was thinking it does have a better chance at cooling because after 79° it doesn't have to battle my heater and just the room temp. But in this case scenario even if its helps even just a little, I'd rather aim to have my tank fluctuate +2° than +7° when not doing anything about it. Thanks Pistondog.
It will not help. Say ato dumps 1 gallon of 60 deg into 50g at 78. This would lower the temp to 77.64 deg. Not enough cooling to help even a little.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you replace 1% of your tank water via ATO in a day, and your top-off water is 35F degrees cooler (50F vs 85F) then you'll lower the temp of the tank by 0.35F degrees - not enough to be helpful. And that's only if you did it all at once - but instead it's spread out over an entire day so it'll lower the temp by 0.014F degrees per hour.
so, no. not a good use of time/effort.
(It does make me wonder if something like a super tiny AC unit that feeds air into the skimmer intake might be effective temp control.)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(It does make me wonder if something like a super tiny AC unit that feeds air into the skimmer intake might be effective temp control.)
Not enough thermal mass in the cool air to make a difference.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough thermal mass in the cool air to make a difference.
I'm thinking as much about the air coming off an AC being more dry, and the evaporation potential in addition to direct cooling.

OP
OP
Jaymzha

Jaymzha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run fans clipped on each end of my tanks with a temp controller, 90g and 210g. I get 3-4 degrees drop from ambient temp. Because of evap I do fill my ato more often. I run an iceprobe chiller on my bc29 and get the same 3-4 degree drop. I set my summertime tank temp to 80.
Great stuff. Setting the temp to 80 is a good idea. The swings can be high if left at 78. Thanks for the input.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a temperature controller with the heaters on the "heat" side and a 20 inch fan on the "cool" side. Works fine as it accelerates evaporation.

OP
OP
Jaymzha

Jaymzha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have one set up and a spare just in case. Fans seem to be the best option. Yeah it would be ideal to just leave fans. Much easier. Thanks fhsm!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My house has central air and I run a chiller unit, but #3 on your list is very effective and lowers gradually

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a chiller for years until it finally gave up after 15 years or so. Just last year. So, I waited to buy a new one to see if my tank would raise too much. Luckily, my sump is in the basement along with top off and all other life support. Just the tank on the main level. It gets hot here. But we use central air and with a fan on the sump, I have not had any heat problems.
I think my basement stays cool enough for the life support to not overheat the tank water and the fan helps a ton. I have run without the fan and it raises temp too high. The fan is literally pointed directly at the sump water. A grate keeps it over the sump pointing down.

Good luck with the temp issus. A chiller is a great investment and mine during the time only had one fuse go out (replaced andworked perfect) in that time.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea or Bad idea?

The Problem:
heat > cool water,

My oberservation:
Especially during the winter I chose to add the new salt water into my heater chamber during water changes. But, I realized after doing so many water changes (each about 10%) that doing it this way, my tank doesn't fluctuate temperatures drastically +/-.5 - 1° even with using new water at 60° or even 50°.

But that only works during the winter.

So again...
The Problem:
heat > cool water,

But many of us (esp. on the east coast) are always worried about the Summer Heat. Many of us do not leave the AC on all day when we are out. But as a consequence, I've personally had temperatures reach up to 85° last year . But, Chillers are expensive, obnoxiously big, and many have terrible reviews.

So I had an idea...

Nutshell:
Keep ATO water in a picnic cooler relative to tank's size and heating capability.

Diy Method:
1. Get a cheap temperature resistant cooler (ie. Igloo, Coleman etc.)
2. Clean and add in clean RODI.
3. Cool water with Ice Packs or Bags of ice and get the water to desired cooler temperature (ie. 60° or less for me). Then remove icers. Them temp should stay relatively the same throughout the day.
4. Close the lid with small opening for ATO line.
5. Use cooler water for ATO to heating chamber to counter summer heatwaves, higher evaporation rates, but also get heated by heating chamber if temps go below the standard 78°.
6. Rinse and repeat as ATO temp rises.

The theory:
As Summer heat waves cause tank water to evaporate quicker and tank temperatures to rise, the 'cooler' ATO water will keep the temperature better regulated by adding cooler temp water and doing it in a safe way after testing what 'what cold water temp' your tank can handle.

Also, just to tie it all together.
My 10% water changes at 60° was safe.
My ATO will be set to add way less at about 2%.
It might not make a huge difference, but thinking that splashing in 'safe temp' cooler water during every ATO evaporation cycle might be able to battle the Summer heat.

Would like to hear thoughts, opinions, and yes even criticisms (Although there is the obvious crowd that loves to doom diy reefers for trying something new. I come in peace ✌.)

So Good idea or Bad idea?

Seems like an awful lot of work.

Why not use a window ac connected to a temp controller opposite the heater?

You can get a 6000 btu unit for $99 bucks at Home Depot.

OR

Keep the door closed and manage the temperature in the room with a window ac.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back