I've add live rock the my new tank and I regret it.

Bluhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True I remember 1st time i seen pods i thought my tank was infested in a bad way lol, but one of the greatest things to happen I lived thru ick, blooms, bully fish and pest and til this day i still find crazy life on my rock that i have no clue how or where they came from

Bluhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is
Are you saying that I need to add stuff to the tank to keep the coralline alive? If I do nothing the Live rock will change color? Will the coralline die? By Alk you mean alkalinity? And cal calcium?
yes and research , pick up a small piece covered already and scrape it into tank with skimmer off to help seed the rest of tank

Dizzirn95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get your point, and I'll try to be less paranoid. But should I assume that the tank has ick now, or am I just being crazy? Since I stared the tank a couple of days ago should when and how should I add a clean up crew? Will that make the ich problem worse?

Why do you think you have ich now?

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that I need to add stuff to the tank to keep the coralline alive? If I do nothing the Live rock will change color? Will the coralline die? By Alk you mean alkalinity? And cal calcium?

I was saying the only way to turn dry rock to live rock is time. It takes time for the bacteria and life to populate the rock. Seeding the tank with some live rock will help introduce the life to the tank but it takes time for it to reproduce/populate the dry rock.

Coralline sucks the alk (alkalinity) and ca (calcium) out of the water, and the more you have the faster ot pulls it out of the water. You must replenish both one way or another. I dose 2 part, some people run a calcium reactor. With my tank i have found alk swings turn coralline from purple to white and it dies.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saying the only way to turn dry rock to live rock is time. It takes time for the bacteria and life to populate the rock. Seeding the tank with some live rock will help introduce the life to the tank but it takes time for it to reproduce/populate the dry rock.

Coralline sucks the alk (alkalinity) and ca (calcium) out of the water, and the more you have the faster ot pulls it out of the water. You must replenish both one way or another. I dose 2 part, some people run a calcium reactor. With my tank i have found alk swings turn coralline from purple to white and it dies.

That's really good to know. Thanks.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for just over a year and i have very little coralline so far
Take some of mine, I can't keep up with it. It's all over my rocks ,which is cool, but it keeps climbing up my glass and across my sand bed. I can barely see in my tank, even my urchin can't take care of it

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, how many systems do you have?
I just answered a post where you are the OP on should I use lids and you were concerned about clown fish jumping. I didn't read this whole thread is this the same tank? Are you cycling with clowns in the tank?

Use kalk paste to kill them and realize anything you do will affect your setup. Live rock maybe pest dry rock high phosphate.

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, how many systems do you have?
I just answered a post where you are the OP on should I use lids and you were concerned about clown fish jumping. I didn't read this whole thread is this the same tank? Are you cycling with clowns in the tank?

Use kalk paste to kill them and realize anything you do will affect your setup. Live rock maybe pest dry rock high phosphate.
No the thank has no fish yet

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some of mine, I can't keep up with it. It's all over my rocks ,which is cool, but it keeps climbing up my glass and across my sand bed. I can barely see in my tank, even my urchin can't take care of it

Lol i would love a little more on my rock but anytime i see a small patch developing on my glass i scrape it off right away. I have seen many tanks where it takes over the glass like a cancer. No a fan of the look of purple glass ;)

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol i would love a little more on my rock but anytime i see a small patch developing on my glass i scrape it off right away. I have seen many tanks where it takes over the glass like a cancer. No a fan of the look of purple glass ;)

Lol, I keep it on my back glass for my urchin, but scrape it off the sides and front

Wudotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time i put live rock in my tank I got macro algae, a sea cucumber and possibly a sea hare. However, my most favorite hitchhiker is the sea urchin that can now be seen climbing up the walls and foraging along the sand bed.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is how the hobby works. You get a pest(s). You clean up the problem. You go buy a frag, fish, invert, or more live rock. You may reintroduce the problem or get an even worse one. That's just how it is. No need to worry about it. Just handle things as best as you can. Become your own vet/LFS. If you do not have an extra tank. Which most of us don't. You have to make the best choices for the one you have.
Personally with no life in your tank except for the stuff you don't want right now like the anemone. Nuke it! Dry it out. Nuke it! Dry it out. Just be careful. Don't think for a second it is safe. You could have a coral that has a paly toxin like palyathoes or zoanthids. Those can literally kill you and everyone in the house. Do all of the "Nuking" outside. What I mean is if you decide to bake or boil the live rock. 100% wear safety glasses, hold breath, rubber gloves up to your shoulders, and some kind face mask even when you are 10 feet away. The vapors from that kind of toxin will make you go blind or kill you if breathed in. Or if you had a cut/hang nail and it gets in your bloodstream. I would rather you know this before someone half*** tells you what to do. I did this with 22lbs of live rock and threw out to frags. There was aiptasia on both. Nothing even to serious. Just about 7. I tried all the methods. All a waste of time and money driving around here and there for a solution. You want the real solution. Nuke it! Dry it! There is no questions after that. If you start getting into buying corals. Word of advice. You see one pest anemone in that tank. Walk away! That is the best advice you will ever get. Get to know all the pests for coral and fish.
Make sure you know you have a store readily available that has Kanaplex, Metroplex, and Focus to bind the two products to food. This is for parasites and worms. Also Prazipro, this is for flukes. Ich is pretty much 100% present in your tank unless you qt and qt again. (Seen to many say I did the qt and still got ich). I got ich and used Medic from Polyp Lab. It worked. Well this pretty much covers that stuff. There will be diatomes, cyno bacteria, GHA, bubble algae, and whole slew of other things that can happen. The worst is Brooklynella (aka brook) or Velvet for your fish. Corals, well each coral has about three+ pests/bugs that will give you a headache. Like red bugs being the worst. Flat worms can bomb a tank. There is always a pest "control" with a fish, shrimp, or invert. It is just not a "fix."

OP
OP
Hugo Garcia

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great tips guys! You all help me a lot. I'm feeling much more confident about having added the live rock to the tank. Haven't seen any new pests or hicthikers so I'm confident that the tank is safe for now, hehehe. I'm planing on letting it go fishless for another 30-40 days. Then all add some clownfish cleaning crew. That a plan on quarenting.

Here is how the tank looks now:

APC_1085.jpg

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great tips guys! You all help me a lot. I'm feeling much more confident about having added the live rock to the tank. Haven't seen any new pests or hicthikers so I'm confident that the tank is safe for now, hehehe. I'm planing on letting it go fishless for another 30-40 days. Then all add some clownfish cleaning crew. That a plan on quarenting.

Here is how the tank looks now:

APC_1085.jpg
Yeah man just have fun with it. There is a ton to learn. So many fish & inverts to enjoy. A clown is always a classic fish. I have one myself. I will say my newest enjoyment has been my tail spotted blenny. He is tiny. Won't get any bigger than 2", but he hangs with the big boys unafraid and eats like a pig! A bottle of that Cobalt Blue Flake food and any frozen he has devoured.

IMG_20170811_181402.jpg

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta say...the tail spot blenny is an awesome fish. On my wishlist right now, because it's so small and not easy to find on a dive. I'm hoping to trap a mated pair.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back