I've got a love for tube anemones but would like to know more before adding one

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So every so often I run across a tank full of tube anemones when I go to the pet market and they've always caught my eye mainly because of their bad reputation as fish killers (I've heard plenty of opposing views as well so it's hard to know). My tank is 5-6 months old, although it's probably considered more mature than many tanks the same age since I was able to get my hands on the live rock just a few days after it was harvested and was non cured. I also have a very large zooplankton population (idk if that would help an anemone in any way though). I know most people say tanks should be a year old or more for a nem but given this level of maturity do you guys think it would thrive in the tank?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So every so often I run across a tank full of tube anemones when I go to the pet market and they've always caught my eye mainly because of their bad reputation as fish killers (I've heard plenty of opposing views as well so it's hard to know). My tank is 5-6 months old, although it's probably considered more mature than many tanks the same age since I was able to get my hands on the live rock just a few days after it was harvested and was non cured. I also have a very large zooplankton population (idk if that would help an anemone in any way though). I know most people say tanks should be a year old or more for a nem but given this level of maturity do you guys think it would thrive in the tank?
Nevermind, realized what you meant.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, some of these anemones are fish killers. A picture of the one(s) you are thinking about would help figure out if that is the case or not.

What size of tank are you thinking of adding this too? A huge tank with one in a corner is more doable than a small tank where there is not much additional habitat for fishes (do you have any, or plan on getting fish, and what fish?) to live in would be great if you just want to keep the nem.

Since you started with live rock the tank may be fit for the more delicate creature(s). What parameters are you currently testing for and how stable are they?

Providing this information might encourage others who keep or have kept these tube killer nems to chime in and answer your question more clearer than I have.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept one for about 3 years that started at about 2 inches across and is now about 6 inches wide. In my experience they are not very sensitive to poor water quality and are happy as long as you feed them multiple times weekly. I’ve heard that they can eat fish but I have never experienced this with mine

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one named Ursula (the sea witch). The B sucked down fish like sushi. She was stunning but nothing escaped her tentacles. She eventually went into time out with a giant red hairy legged crab. Both were notorious for destruction. They had a cage match for a while and ultimately, Crabzilla won out. I'm glad that I had the experience but I will never own one again.
The Little Mermaid Reaction GIF

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thank you guys for sharing your experiences with me and sorry it's taken me so long to write back. I'll be sure to place it somewhere it's least likely to cause any fish deaths if I do decide to get one!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one named Ursula (the sea witch). The B sucked down fish like sushi. She was stunning but nothing escaped her tentacles. She eventually went into time out with a giant red hairy legged crab. Both were notorious for destruction. They had a cage match for a while and ultimately, Crabzilla won out. I'm glad that I had the experience but I will never own one again.
The Little Mermaid Reaction GIF
What kind of fish was she eating?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She ate an emerald crab (shocking really), multiple firefish, two green chromis and a chalk bass. There may have been others, it's been a while. The firefish ticked me off. I swear that she liked to wrap them in her tentacles and taunt me as she dangled them above her mouth... Like bragging.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She ate an emerald crab (shocking really), multiple firefish, two green chromis and a chalk bass. There may have been others, it's been a while. The firefish ticked me off. I swear that she liked to wrap them in her tentacles and taunt me as she dangled them above her mouth... Like bragging.
It's so crazy that some people swear they've never had a single problem with em while your story sounds like a nightmare!...its interesting how the same species can have such dramatically different behaviors...I guess it's just luck of the draw when you pick one out

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so crazy that some people swear they've never had a single problem with em while your story sounds like a nightmare!...its interesting how the same species can have such dramatically different behaviors...I guess it's just luck of the draw when you pick one out
Very true. I have an enormous bubble coral right now and there is a whole thread on them eating fish and stinging coral. Mine does not send out tentacles or eat fish. Maybe I paid my dies with Ursula? LOL Crabzilla was no prince charming either.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back