I've killed a half dozen new fish in QT...is it my fault???

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many Bangaii in a 5g, even for QT.
One only.
This fish better off as 1.
Groups sometimes do well in large tanks. 8EC243FE-D291-47F7-8A51-C3815AB97A38.jpeg

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I pulled my 30g tall out of storage, bought a new hob filter, fled.with new saltwater, and placed a liverock from my sump in the tank at the beginning of the week.

I'm giving this a go and ordered several banggai who came in looking healthy and have a guarantee after purchase, so here's to that!

I had hoped to be able to do qt in bucket's as I really don't have space for another tank in the living room, but the wife has agreed as long as it isn't permanent.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g buckets is my option...
Can you show a picture of the bucket - what material is it? This is - IMO - not a temp/salinity/pH problem. Can be a NH3 problem but I would check the bucket first and change it to small aquarium instead.

I read now that you have change tactic - I´m sure it will work this time

Sincerely Lasse

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re dying within 24 hours then ammonia isn’t the problem. I’d check salinity and pH of your tank and the LFS. Its either an acclimation issue or stress.

1.022 seems a little low, but should be tolerable for a healthy fish.

FWIW, my success with QT went up dramatically when I added lots of plastic plants to break up the sight line and offer hiding spots. It reduces stress.
Tap water or rodi, is he using conditioner?

magicstix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace your air stone with a sponge filter. You can run the sponge filter in your sump for a month to initially establish bacteria in it. You can pick up a 10 gallon tank for cheap as well. You want to be able to observe your fish while they are in Quarantine. Test your QT like you would your display to make sure it has cycled before adding fish.
9C987A06-15CC-4CCB-B937-13F898E7F486.jpeg

Petco has a 10 gallon for $10 right now:

TBH I'd be squeamish about buying even dry goods from Petco... I've seen their tanks full of ick and sick/dead fish...

Back