I've never used an ATO, any good ones?

the mantis lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i have a 15 gallon nano tank and was wondering if there are any good and affordable Auto Top Off Systems that measure salinity and adds in accordingly, or is that something I will continuously have to do by hand?
is there also something like this for calcium and other things that I need to add in?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze may be the best and is more expensive. IceCap, Reef Breeders, AutoAqua, and XP Aqua all have reasonable ATOs. Personally, I have the IceCap, two others that are discontinued, a DIY option, and several gravity feed systems. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Automatically adding calcium, etc. is often referred to as dosing and there are several dosing pump systems. I am currently using Kamoer for my dosing.

OP
OP
the mantis lover

the mantis lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze may be the best and is more expensive. IceCap, Reef Breeders, AutoAqua, and XP Aqua all have reasonable ATOs. Personally, I have the IceCap, two others that are discontinued, and several gravity feed systems. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Automatically adding calcium, etc. is often referred to as dosing and there are several dosing pump systems. I am currently using Kamoer for my dosing.
thank you so much!!! my mantis tank will need this

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to repeat everything that @Peace River said, so let me just answer one of your questions: ATO's don't measure salinity and add water. They work off of either a set of electric eyes or floats. As the water evaporates from your system, it detects that the level has dropped off and then adds fresh water until it is back to the proper level.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3152, on/off via float switch in return compartment.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ATOs are based off of evaporation. Only the H2O evaporates, so you only need to replace with pure H2O, not with salt mixed in. Calcium and Alk are harder since your corals consume them. The most reputable things to measure this is either test kits (cheaper) or the trident/alktronic (automatic testing, but a little pricy). Then you dose liquid calcium/alk to your tank either by hand or with a dosing pump over time. If you plan on having corals, definitely get at least the test kits for Alk/Cal.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to repeat everything that @Peace River said, so let me just answer one of your questions: ATO's don't measure salinity and add water. They work off of either a set of electric eyes or floats. As the water evaporates from your system, it detects that the level has dropped off and then adds fresh water until it is back to the proper level.

It's important to note that the ATO normally should provide FRESH water not salt water. When water evaporates the salt remains "in the system" so you need to add fresh (RODI) water to maintain salinity.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IceCap ATO for about 2 years and no issues. However I recently replaced the original Aqueon glass tops with screen tops and the rate of evaporation is 3-4 times faster now. My 5 gal ATO jug used to last about 2 weeks and now I have to refill it every 3-4 days.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 is the gold standard. But as mentioned, it's probably the most expensive. Still, at under $200 it's well worth the extra dough. I'd probably just DIY though if I was more handy. But I like finish and my DIY would look like a hack job I'm sure.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's important to note that the ATO normally should provide FRESH water not salt water. When water evaporates the salt remains "in the system" so you need to add fresh (RODI) water to maintain salinity.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for tunze here. I looked for other options and I have never regretted spending the money for the tunze. I’ve had mine for at least 6 years. I have had to replace the pump once and it was surprisingly affordable to do so.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Tunze may be the best and is more expensive. IceCap, Reef Breeders, AutoAqua, and XP Aqua all have reasonable ATOs. Personally, I have the IceCap, two others that are discontinued, a DIY option, and several gravity feed systems. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I agree Tunze is Legit

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back