J&D’s Seatown Waterbox 135.4 Couples Therapy (a reefing marriage story)

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy we could get you a new hawaiian cleaner!

Lets give this one a go, and see what we can do! Got to get a little "luck" on your side! Lucky wishes you good luck from the lagoon!

giphy.gif

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you tried placing the Jawbreaker on rubble and burying in sand? This has finally worked for me! Trick is leave it for a couple-few weeks and bury it every once in awhile. Don't disturb it during that time. Mine have all finally attached to something well enough to glue to a plug.
Patience with the Jawbreakers is working the best for me.
They just aren't built like the rest of the shrooms in my garden. From what I'm seeing and researching they aren't the easiest to keep either.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you tried placing the Jawbreaker on rubble and burying in sand? This has finally worked for me! Trick is leave it for a couple-few weeks and bury it every once in awhile. Don't disturb it during that time. Mine have all finally attached to something well enough to glue to a plug.
Patience with the Jawbreakers is working the best for me.
They just aren't built like the rest of the shrooms in my garden. From what I'm seeing and researching they aren't the easiest to keep either.
Good message, I forgot you had mentioned that once... heading down to do it now.

giphy.gif

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it bro. I put a bunch of rubble in Tupperware bowl, laid my Jawbreakers out it. Buried them in sand. Not fully buried just enough you can see the mouth.
Trick is leaving them alone and re burying them a cpl few more times. If not they will end up detaching. Give them some good time to get a good foot hold.
Bro if I can get this Poletti to start dropping babies we will have to figure something out with your rainbow electus.
She's not built like the regular Jawbreakers I have in the garden. She's been through it all and just keeps shining. Super hardy and right there with the rest of my strongest shrooms :)
And solid green!
20200906_161619.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it bro. I put a bunch of rubble in Tupperware bowl, laid my Jawbreakers out it. Buried them in sand. Not fully buried just enough you can see the mouth.
Trick is leaving them alone and re burying them a cpl few more times. If not they will end up detaching. Give them some good time to get a good foot hold.
Bro if I can get this Poletti to start dropping babies we will have to figure something out with your rainbow electus.
She's not built like the regular Jawbreakers I have in the garden. She's been through it all and just keeps shining. Super hardy and right there with the rest of my strongest shrooms :)
And solid green!
20200906_161619.jpg
Wow wishing my poletti jawbreaker had that pattern and color! I'll have to get you a good picture of the r.electus mother... one moment.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And solid green!
20200906_161619.jpg

Best I could muster without putting my arm fully in the tank... Those are under Orphek OR3s daylight bar. I definitely would be sending other things that JB is way to nice.
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG

You can see my other "Lamebreaker" that has it's one color off to the left :)

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I could muster without putting my arm fully in the tank... Those are under Orphek OR3s daylight bar. I definitely would be sending other things that JB is way to nice.
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3091.JPG

You can see my other "Lamebreaker" that has it's one color off to the left :)
Nice bro we will figure it out for sure.
And your one colored JB looks heck alot better than mine i just can't seem to get it right with them lol

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Running 2 48” blue bars for supplemental lighting. So far no issues running them 2 hours a day for the sps, I noticed 2 of the torches were not as full as usual when I got home today. Here is my setup-

5FFFE79B-08C2-4EB7-8146-98199D6E75A0.jpeg
dont mind the wires, this was right after i got done mounting them
@Hydrored checking in wanted to see how the tank and lights were doing?!? I’m thinking of swapping out the radions for Orphek Atlantiks. Curious to know how your setup is going.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9/14 Update: When ya gotta go, ya gotta go

We’ve spent the last two week trying to figure out why our Duncan wasn’t coming out. Cut to last Friday I hear my wife yelling of course I come running and their she is hand in the tank chasing the Valentini... You see the Duncan is one of my wife’s favorite corals and to make a long story short “Seachicken” has been feasting on fresh Duncan... so he’s officially gotten exiled from the DT and will probably live the rest of his days in the bow front, free to eat bristleworms and asterina starfish to his hearts content. Sort of sad, but it now opens a world of possibilities for new corals!!!

So what’s new?
Why not try again... some might call it destiny. The day we buried one HCW @ReeferBlaine messages me to tell me our LFS has another. Density Part II is doing well AND she’s feeding!!! Cyclopods and finely chopped fresh oysterfeast soaked shrimp bits. I’m taking no chances with this one... failure is not an option!!!
315A3A6C-973E-435E-82CC-FC5B09665099.jpeg

Corals
With our test of keeping SPS going well and the removal of seachicken we decided to try our hand at keeping a little more high end pieces... Here they are Walt Disney’s and a Starry night acclimating nicely (even after 3 dips).
1AE03594-2F6F-437C-B283-26BC788EC4D2.jpeg
D8CFA85E-EF1E-4DA9-BF80-02A632099B20.jpeg

Mushrooms
No update would be complete without my favorite softies! So my good buddy @ReeferBlaine (gets two shoutouts this post).. being the good enabler he is messages me about some Frankenstein bounces and magic mushrooms... call off the dogs boys, the hunt has ended!
32807364-98D8-442C-9E01-AC8BC9FD44B9.jpeg

Was the highlight of my week!!! Can’t wait to see what this bad boy grows to be!

What’s next!
So we’ve decided that we need a break on coral purchases at least until we figure out where to put all of the mushrooms (Will see how long that lasts). Which leads to our aquascaping project. We decided to stop robbing the bowfront and get some good dry rock:
5E0D8CDC-2F9C-4FB7-8060-6E80088B7EDD.jpeg

8lbs of it! the person I bought it from had collected it while he lived in Diani Beach, Kenya. These were the leftovers from his original build. Thought it was a cool little story to add to our tank. Now sitting in the blackout tubs curing for the next 4-6 weeks! Then new structures for the shrooms!

In QT:
We found a great deal on two Orange Banded Cardinals $10 each! Couldn’t pass on them, the orange was just to vibrant. They’ll be in QT for 45 days or so until they get their clean bill of health. are eating and doing well.

Thanks for following along! Till the next update!

Last edited:
OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT brotha you are a lifesaver! FINALLY the rogue JB attached. I buried that thing a like 5-6 times before it decided on that spot and even then it kicked off all the substrate.
9277785E-C43F-47C4-BE7A-0C8482DD3132.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LRT brotha you are a lifesaver! FINALLY the rogue JB attached. I buried that thing a like 5-6 times before it decided on that spot and even then it kicked off all the substrate.
9277785E-C43F-47C4-BE7A-0C8482DD3132.jpeg
Thats awesome man I think @MERKEY told me about that trick:) Just try not to disturb it for awhile now. For whatever reason Jawbreakers like to let go easily. Either that or takes awhile to get good foothold. Finicky little monsters for sure.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome man I think @MERKEY told me about that trick:) Just try not to disturb it for awhile now. For whatever reason Jawbreakers like to let go easily. Either that or takes awhile to get good foothold. Finicky little monsters for sure.
Ya it’s gonna sit in there for awhile. Did ya see I finally was able to get a magic carpet mushroom.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it’s gonna sit in there for awhile. Did ya see I finally was able to get a magic carpet mushroom.
I totally missed that update! Can't wait to see how it does for you. My whole Nitrate ordeal really set me back. I thought I was going to lose mine but shes throwing frilly bubbles again:) its a nice shroom for sure.
You sir have some good taste in corols.
That Walt Disney though. It will be the first one we get. Ive seen some fire pieces. Definetely one of my favorites. If I could get the time id really get serious about building my wife her DT.
My shallow tubs are limiting me on what corals I can keep! I cant ramp my lamp up to keep one without toasting my shrooms unfortunately.
Your inspiring me to get off me butt haha
Very nice man!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude been away for a minute but getting caught back up!
Had to search you and run through a bunch of posts until I realized I could just click on your build thread badge hahaha.
How is this going need updates!?
Added a new piece that im super excited about. Some old stuff coming back to life too.
Where you at Big?
20201019_185410.jpg
20201019_183802.jpg

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude been away for a minute but getting caught back up!
Had to search you and run through a bunch of posts until I realized I could just click on your build thread badge hahaha.
How is this going need updates!?
Added a new piece that im super excited about. Some old stuff coming back to life too.
Where you at Big?
20201019_185410.jpg
20201019_183802.jpg
Hey man, I know I need to update this... I've added a few new pieces since the last update. Work and school got me bogged down, we also had to put our dog down a few weeks back as well... I'm wanting 2020 to be over.

Needless to say and update is a welcomed break :)

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking awesome! What shops do you frequent in Washington? I've usually just shop at Barrier Reef and visited Seattle corals once.
Barrier and Sea King are my local shops... more for supplies than anything else though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back