Jabberkaycee's 90g Peace O Reef

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any up to date pics? Looks like a sweet setup with lots of swimming room. Do the led's have that spotlight effect in real life or is it just in the pics?

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dougers - the spotlight effect went away when I added the custom rail kit which raised the lights up and off the water. It may still show some spotlight in pics, but you don't see it with the naked eyed. I"m posting more pics today.

Marvin - The hoeki is doing okay but still sky blue. I've heard they take a while to acclimate and color up so I'm giving it some time. I'll be posting pics today of the frags I got from Pro Coral. Most importantly, I got a new trach yesterday from my LFS. It was a fluke that I even saw him but I knew he had potential. The trach is about 4 inches and has the most vivid colors I've even seen. He was under dim lights in he store and didn't really stick out much. I put him on my sandbed with low LEDS and POW - he's incredible. Pics later...

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally,I have new pics! I'm still playing with the settings on my camera so the lighting is not right, but at least you get the idea. Here are the pics of the frags I got from Pro Corals and my new all time favorite that I picked up from my LFS yesterday.

Superman Monti
Superman800x542.jpg

Super Blue Hoeki - Can't say that its "super blue" yet, but its coming along...
SuperBlueHoeki788x800.jpg

Setosa - I love his piece. Too much lighting so not a good pic
Setosa.jpg

ORA Hawkins Blue
ORAHawkinsBlue800x786.jpg

Plum Crazy - This one never made it. As you can see, he's not plum or crazy. No worries, Sonny is working on a replacement
PlumCrazy800x725.jpg

And this Trach I picked up yesterday at my LFS. The colors are insane and it screams under the blue leds.
Trachyphyllid800x533.jpg

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that trachy is nuts! Can you get some actinic shots of that bad boy?

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried last night without much success. I'm a little confused on how to set the camera for actinics shots but I'll keep trying. I forgot to snap a shot of the sunset milli I got from Pro Corals. Here's a pic of when it first arrived.

SunsetMilli655x800.jpg

Rhodes19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Karen,

Your tank is amazing and the list of corals you have is very impressive. I can't wait to see more pictures. :)

Chris

Kataro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any progress with that super blue hoeki? I know they're a bit hard to keep...

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed some things around this weekend and will be taking more pics over the next few days. I gotta dig the tripod out of the closet so I can get some decent macro shots. I added a few new pieces from Live Aquaria and a new wrasse that is in hiding now. I've left the LEDS low since I was adding new corals. Now I'm slowing increasing the lights so the Hoeki will get bluer soon. I now have the tank the way I want it - just have to sit back and let it grow out. The only thing that remains are two of the fake rock arches that hold 12 plugs - they should be here this week. I'm putting them on the sandbed and filling then up with zoas.

I'm on a zoa hunt now! Pics coming this week.

Rhodes19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would like to hear about the Bubble Blaster. My Sicce psk 2500 really sucks and not in a good way.

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kataro - It's still blue so I guess that's a good thing. I had to lower the leds while adding new corals. I'm now back to my normal setting as of today so we'll see what happens. It's still a baby blue color but with the increased lighting, I'm hoping it colors up. I'm adding some pics in a bit so you'll see what I mean. I can't seem to get a good pic of the Hoeiki - it shows up more purple than blue but you'll at least get the idea....

Last edited:
OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find out if the Bubble Blaster pump would work on your protein skimmer?

Will

Yeah, I would like to hear about the Bubble Blaster. My Sicce psk 2500 really sucks and not in a good way.

I read on RC where someone added the bubbleblaster to their Octopus Extreme 160 but I believe he said he had to slightly increase the hole where the pump attaches to the skimmer. Here's a really interesting thread from Aquarium Specialty - I'll give Scott a call and see what he says about using the BB to the 160. Check out the thread - especially where it says "The new Octopus Bubble Blaster pump is available for an optional upgrade replacing the Sicce pump (rated at 550gph at 22 watts) for the Octopus Extreme 160 Skimmer."

Super Reef Octopus Bubble Blaster Pump HY-2000S

Last edited:
OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Pics!

I finally dug the tripod out of the closet and found some time today to play with the macro lens. I'm a newbie with the camera - just having some fun. Here's some random pics I took:

015_edited-1509x800.jpg

016_edited-1800x788.jpg

018_edited-1800x727.jpg

019_edited-1702x800.jpg

020_edited-1750x800.jpg

021_edited-1800x624.jpg

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about two of the fake rock arches that hold 12 plugs each for the sandbed? I'd like to have a garden of zoas but no place to put them. Has anyone used these rock arches and do they look realistic?

Bandomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabber, help me out buddy! How exactly are you acclimating your frags. I've been running my AI's for just over a month, all my zoa's/paly's and lps did great with the transition. However, I'm struggling with some of my SPS. You've been in the hobby for some time, so in your professional opinion, do you think the AI's have the same potential of coloring up SPS as well as HQI and/or T5? I'm struggling mostly with SPS's that have shades of red, orange, pink, etc. The SPS that come in shades of green, blue, purple, etc seem to be doing fine. At what percentage are you running your lights? Any information that you have will definitely help.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabber, help me out buddy! How exactly are you acclimating your frags. I've been running my AI's for just over a month, all my zoa's/paly's and lps did great with the transition. However, I'm struggling with some of my SPS. You've been in the hobby for some time, so in your professional opinion, do you think the AI's have the same potential of coloring up SPS as well as HQI and/or T5? I'm struggling mostly with SPS's that have shades of red, orange, pink, etc. The SPS that come in shades of green, blue, purple, etc seem to be doing fine. At what percentage are you running your lights? Any information that you have will definitely help.
great question. my bro is looking into getting these LED's. tagging along. :)

OP
OP
jabberkaycee

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandomo and Marvin

Well, I started too fast like most people do and bleached a few before realizing I was pushing the lights too fast. I was also using the stock rail kits that placed the modules 2 inches off the water. I now have a custom made rail kit and the modules are 10 inches off the water. I moved all the bleached corals to the bottom and started with a slow ramp up/down with 30% max white and 60% max blue. The corals eventually colored back up and all are fine now. I have my max white light set in the middle of the day while I’m working since the colors look washed but the corals are getting the par they need. By the time 3:30 approaches, my favorite settings for viewing pleasure are kicked in for the evening.

I'm using the AI Sol White and I've been running these lights for 10 months – 4 modules over 90g tank. I have two shady areas in my tank by design. They are used for introducing new corals. When purchasing new corals always ask what type of lighting they are grown under – MH- 150,250,etc, T5s or LED. This will help you know how to acclimate to your LED lights.

I’ve spent an hour this evening and an hour a couple of days ago trying to add my light schedule for you. I’m ready to pull my hair out. I can’t attach a Word or Excel doc, I can’t cut and paste because in the preview they become all jumbled. If you’d like to PM me your address, I’ll be happy to email my light schedule to you.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Back