Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job!

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Drill bit, Drill and patience is all you really need. It's not as hard as you think. You can get the bits from Harbour freight. Get some putty make a circle to be filled with water. Drill on a low speed no pressure the weight of the drill will do the work.

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,109
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try on a cheap smaller tank for practice. Otherwise I know in Tampa there are a few places that will drill it for you.

I'm going to pick up supplies at harbor freight in a few days and give it a shot on a junk 10g. I can't bring the tank anywhete to have it drilled. Too heavy and not enough help to move it.

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Drill bit, Drill and patience is all you really need. It's not as hard as you think. You can get the bits from Harbour freight. Get some putty make a circle to be filled with water. Drill on a low speed no pressure the weight of the drill will do the work.

What kind of putty did you use?

Jackie

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend a little extra and buy a Bosch glass hole saw. The arbor has a starter to help keep things centered and there glass hole saws are second to none. Plus as you need other sizes you just order it. The arbor is universal.

Great build so fare. Really digging your diy rockwork!

Chetrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of putty did you use?

Jackie

Plumbers putty will work. You just want to have water in there to keep things cool while drilling. Go slow, don't apply pressure to the drill. Let the weight of the drill and the drill bit do all the work. I was paranoid at first it took about 20 minutes to get all the way through. Put tape on the underside of the hole to keep it from chipping and to keep the glass plug from falling and breaking anything.

[video=youtube_share;C5hy6SjajQY]http://youtu.be/C5hy6SjajQY[/video]

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbers putty will work. You just want to have water in there to keep things cool while drilling. Go slow, don't apply pressure to the drill. Let the weight of the drill and the drill bit do all the work. I was paranoid at first it took about 20 minutes to get all the way through. Put tape on the underside of the hole to keep it from chipping and to keep the glass plug from falling and breaking anything.

[video=youtube_share;C5hy6SjajQY]http://youtu.be/C5hy6SjajQY[/video]

What kind of hole cutter do I need? Carbon steel and bi metal was all that came up on harbor freights website. I think I need the 1 3/4 for 1" bulkheads, yes? Also, can't use the cutters with drill bit center correct? If not, is there a special attachment for the drill? My husband has several types of drills but I don't think a specific hole saw drill. He's only home every other weekend (drives otr semi) so this is all up to me to do. Just thought of something... my dad may have all this, he's been a tool collector for 60 years lol.

How far from another hole can you drill a 2nd hole?

Thank you for the video also :) Wish a 180g was that easy to handle! Lol.

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend a little extra and buy a Bosch glass hole saw. The arbor has a starter to help keep things centered and there glass hole saws are second to none. Plus as you need other sizes you just order it. The arbor is universal.

Great build so fare. Really digging your diy rockwork!

Thanks for the info and rock compliment :) I'm having fun with it. Just wish cure time wasn't so long, getting impatient lol!

Jackie

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I'm most concerned with is cracking the glass. One of the holes I'll be drilling will be only a few inches away from one I'm capping. I'm also concerend with too many holes making the glass weak on that end of the tank. I intend on drilling 3 1" holes on one end. I may have to only do 2. But how much flow can 2 - 1" holes take on I wonder? If it will take on 1800-2400 gph with just 2 1" holes that will be fine.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn cutting 6" pvc pipe to make into overflow skim boxes that will look like columns in the end. They'll have 27.5" total surface skim area.
uploadfromtaptalk1401050581578.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1401050581578.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, we are taking the plunge and drilling them ourselves tomorrow. It's raining today. Just finished these and it down poured lol.

These will go on one end of the tank and look like weathered columns. The returns will be in between them and will somehow get disguised also. Maybe an aged block wall... only one of the existing hole is being considered as a column return on the opposite end. Which is more likely to be done. Because if we don't need the extra flow now, we may later. All we'd have to do is turn it on ;)

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the progress..and good luck on the glass drilling. I was pretty nervous when drilling for the first time...but I started on a 20g long that has very thin glass...once I drilled that without breaking it...everything else has seemed like pie!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a very old 40 breeder with a slate bottom and atleast 3/8" glass that we will practice on for the 1st hole then on to the big tank. This really is nerve racking!

Also, if all goes well after drilling I plan to reseal the bottom. There is 1 spot that I just don't trust. I'd rather deal with it now than later. Unlike my TALL, long armed husband, I am 5'2"and not blessed with long arms. Resealing the bottom of a 150 was not the easiest, this will be the same so I'm not looking forward to it. Glenn is only home pretty much every other weekend due to his job so it's up to me to do.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back