Jackie and Glenns 180g Reef Build

Discussion in 'Large Aquariums 180g+' started by prsnlty, Mar 24, 2014.

1. prsnlty

prsnlty Jackie R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad

No, mine never bothered anything except decorating itself with my zoas lol

redsea01 likes this.
  2. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Partner Member Article Contributor

It might be me, but looks like it starting to turn brown on you?

prsnlty likes this.
  3. prsnlty

Yes it is, it's dieing :D Yay!

143MPCo likes this.
  4. prsnlty

I noticed that when it starts dieing that is about when the cyano covers it. I'm sure the cyano isn't doing anything other than covering it except possibly soaking up the decay in order for itself to grow. And that's why I'm doing the microbubbles to keep it so that it doesn't get carried away even if I can't ratify it completely. When all is said and done I can always chemi-clean later if necessary or just keep doing the microbubbles and lights out for a couple days. More than likely I'll do the latter

5. prsnlty

My drawer is getting too full... might need to build another lol
    20170110_152528.jpg
    And these are packed full also
    1484080833213.jpeg

143MPCo likes this.
  6. prsnlty

So, I'm procrastinating on the 45g... when things aren't exactly they way I'd like, I do that... I should have this wet by now. Really, it's a simple system! I just don't like some minor things about it like the controllers aren't working the way I had hoped inside the stand door. Now I will be moving 2 to the outside of the stand. Plus, I have a 10g under the tank stand for an ato. It has a screen top. I want to use the top but I also want to cover the screen (basically to use the frame and keep it closed from dust and what-not). My dilemma is cover it with what? I was thinking of shrink wrap heated with a hair dryer. But can't find any near me. Ugh... Don't want to paint it for fear of paint chips. Any ideas?

7. prsnlty

Woohoo! Just figured a solution to my screen problem. Contact paper lol I knew there was a reason I held onto this roll for 13 years! Haha, and Glenn said to throw it out cuz I've never used it :D

8. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member NJRC Member Partner Member

Serious question u think u have had all these problems cause of the man slash women made rocks? I mean I really want u to have a beautiful but it always seems like ur battling something and that's the only thing I can think of is the rocks . I really like ur tank and I hope one day all ur updates will be look how much this has grown

prsnlty likes this.
  9. prsnlty

No, I know where it came from. At first I didn't. If it was the diy rock it would have happened sooner. The tank was 2 years old when it began. At first I thought my 2 tlf phosban150 reactors weren't keeping up (about 7 months ago) and I even have a video that I mention that and that had begun. But what I didn't realize at the time of that video when the hair algae began was that I had changed my salt 2 Aqua Forest probiotics Reef salt. What I didn't know until I went to Reef a palooza in Orlando a month later and ran into the distributor was that I should have been using their no po4 in conjunction with it. Too late :( it also turns out that I'm not the only person having issues like that due to the aqua Forest probiotics Reef salt. I went back to my previous salt on the next water change.

10. prsnlty

Also I think we always seem to battle something... whether it came in on a frag or you accidentally used RO water when your di was spent or some crazy thing happens. It's a part of the hobby. Some people have less trouble than others. My thread is almost 3 years old LOL

I will say this if you're going to make DIY Rock. Use RO/DI water when making and curing it. Otherwise Let the Rain do the rest. That's why do mine outside the rain will add all the minerals in but keep it in the shade.

11. justingraham

justingraham Well-Known Member NJRC Member Partner Member

Yea I rember u saying that
    Don't worry u will appreciate the tank much more when ur thru this delima as will i

prsnlty likes this.
  12. prsnlty

Lol, thank you :D I'm sure I will. I'm happy with my tank with exception to the hair algae LOL I'll battle it and it'll be gone and I won't worry about it anymore, just takes time ;)

13. prsnlty

My newest video on microbubbles and cyano 4 days in...

14. prsnlty

It is time to make sw for the 45g! Yay! But it's after 3am and I am sooooo tired. I'm going to take the 30g of Rodi I have made already and fill up all 3 ato's in the house cuz all are empty or about empty. Then start the Rodi running overnight. That'll give me one can to start with. As the second is filling up I can start the rock work. Crossing fingers there'll be no leaks in any of the plumbing.

15. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member Article Contributor

How is it going?

prsnlty likes this.
  16. prsnlty

It works terrific! This is something I intend to keep doing. The microbubbles make all the LPS and softies nice and full and doesn't bother anything else. Since it does a great job on a cyanobacteria outbreak I'm willing to bet it will also keep them away permanently. :D

17. prsnlty

So the 45g overflow is 1/4"-3/8" higher than I'd like. If I wanted to float a fish bag the water would be too high.... ugh. For now I'm just going to run it until the sand dust clear so I can see what I'm doing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  18. prsnlty

The 45g is up and running... still needs paint but I can do that while it cycles.
    20170112_121513.jpg
    20170112_121716.jpg

redsea01, Frop, G8trBait16 and 2 others like this.
  19. prsnlty

Baby sitting tonight lol
    20170121_190908.jpg

20. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Partner Member Article Contributor

I think the reef is doing the sitting:rolleyes:.

Chrisfish and prsnlty like this.