OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on vibrant use... I'm not seeing any loss of hair algae or bryopsis ( if that's what it is) so far. The cyano has gotten carried away due to my air pump quitting and I didn't notice because it runs overnight. So I broke out the chemiclean and dosed the tank tonight. I had the skimmer running with the cup off and set as low as it will go to add oxygen. We'll see how this goes. It should do fine as I've done this before.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good luck!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Vibrant keeps the glass and water column sparkling clean however it has not done damage to the bryopsis (I know what it is for sure now). I am still going to use Vibrant but not at the level I was. Every 2 weeks only. That being said, I came across fluconazole for bryopsis treatment that looks very promising. I am bringing up no3 with stump remover to get some coloration back in my corals and when the meds arrive I'll be dosing a single treatment to the tank. It can take up to 14 days to kill it off and I'll be posting pics of progression every 4 days.

Cyano is completely gone from the system btw :D

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tank shots as of today. ALL dark areas is bryopsis. The last 2 I'll be using to do the comparison shots.
20170131_150116.jpg
20170131_150058.jpg
20170131_150052.jpg
20170131_150048.jpg
20170131_155252.jpg
20170131_155312.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U are getting there I'm still rooting for ya
Thank you Justin :D

Bryopsis is probably the worst invader ever.... I also found it in my grandson's tank as well as the 45g that just cycled. All the rock initially came from my 180 and was in the cooking process for about 8-10 months. If this treatment works for the 180g I'll be doing them as well.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the cyano outbreak is behind you! We have never suffered a bryopsis outbreak on the scale of yours - best of luck with the fluconazole treatment - we'll be following to see your results... And btw, bryopsis aside, the tank looks GREAT!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the cyano outbreak is behind you! We have never suffered a bryopsis outbreak on the scale of yours - best of luck with the fluconazole treatment - we'll be following to see your results... And btw, bryopsis aside, the tank looks GREAT!
Thank you [emoji2]
Me either.... I thought it was hair algae and was treating it as such. First I was doing Melv's HA removal treatment using phosphate RX and pulling it. Then when that did nothing i started Vibrant, still nothing. Then the idea popped into my head to test it with some h202 and it didn't turn white. It wasn't HA and pulling it caused it to spread by releasing spores that attached everywhere else. Lesson learned [emoji14] I sure hope the fluconazole works. Others are having huge success with it :D Thanks for following!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a big OOPS!
I was cutting away a section of monticap from my bonsai....
20170201_131406.jpg

And accidentally bumped into the green slimer and broke one big 8 inch branch off right at the base [emoji26]
20170201_131525.jpg

I haven't moved it and it is still up against its original location. Should I leave it there and maybe it'll mend back together or should I take it out and mount it somewhere else? What do you guys think?

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a big OOPS!
I haven't moved it and it is still up against its original location. Should I leave it there and maybe it'll mend back together or should I take it out and mount it somewhere else? What do you guys think?

Leave it or glue it back on, it will definitely re-encrust eventually and rejoin the colony.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it or glue it back on, it will definitely re-encrust eventually and rejoin the colony.
Thank you [emoji2] I will just tack some glue on and let it reattach. I had thought about mounting into a rock and selling it also but I don't like shipping coral especially acro's.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks late over here, but hey hey hey! It's a new tank! What is the plan for this one/will there be a thread for it? (I'm a suck for build threads :D)
Hey there, glad you stopped in! So your tank is running late?

I actually haven't thought about a thread for the 45g lol. Maybe... I really can't make up my mind what I want to do with it. I'm open to suggestions ;) A couple of ideas I had are;
1) angels & gorgonian (small inexpensive ones)
2) clowns, softies, lps and nems.
3) I also love fairy wrasses and anthias.

Now that this tank has great lighting, flow and a sump with skimmer I can pretty much do anything but tangs (too small). No acros though, don't want to be dosing this system, I'd like it to be pretty simple to run.

Right now I am so busy with the 180's issues and babysitting my 3mo old granddaughter 50-60 hrs a week I haven't had any time for much else.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, glad you stopped in! So your tank is running late?

I actually haven't thought about a thread for the 45g lol. Maybe... I really can't make up my mind what I want to do with it. I'm open to suggestions ;) A couple of ideas I had are;
1) angels & gorgonian (small inexpensive ones)
2) clowns, softies, lps and nems.
3) I also love fairy wrasses and anthias.

Now that this tank has great lighting, flow and a sump with skimmer I can pretty much do anything but tangs (too small). No acros though, don't want to be dosing this system, I'd like it to be pretty simple to run.

Right now I am so busy with the 180's issues and babysitting my 3mo old granddaughter 50-60 hrs a week I haven't had any time for much else.
All three of those sound like fun ideas! Sorry I should have clarified...I meant I was two weeks late replying to your announcement of the 45g. :) I actually have my tank, but it needs to be replaced. :rolleyes: Hopefully the replacement comes in soon though! If you did do the Angels, which ones were you thinking? I've never tried more than one per tank, but I've heard it being done before! :) Were you thinking of a pair?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's terrible about your tank I'm sorry to hear that! How soon before you get the replacement? I already have a coral beauty that I want to get out of my 180, I would like a flame angel and a bicolor angel also. I don't think I could put more than three of them together in that little tank. I had to do more research on them though....

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want some fairy and flasher wrasses also and would like them to be in the tank with the angels however I'm not sure they're compatible and haven't had time to see if they are not yet. But believe me I'll be doing all of the research before I order anything LOL

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots and lots of pods on the 45g glass today :) I'm sure they hitch hiked in with the sand that I added to it from my DT...

180g. Got nitrates at a decent level and the fluconazole meds came today. Will dose the 1 time treatment about 11pm and then it's a waiting and watching game. It can take up to 14 days but most begin seeing the bryopsis begin to die day 4-8.

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots and lots of pods on the 45g glass today :) I'm sure they hitch hiked in with the sand that I added to it from my DT...

180g. Got nitrates at a decent level and the fluconazole meds came today. Will dose the 1 time treatment about 11pm and then it's a waiting and watching game. It can take up to 14 days but most begin seeing the bryopsis begin to die day 4-8.

I too dosed Vibrant and it wiped out all algae within a few weeks, except bryopsis. I then dosed flucozanole and the bryopsis was gone in 12 days. No corals or fish were affected by the fluco. You will soon have an ear to ear grin that hurts as you watch the bryopsis die. [emoji3]

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back