prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in Doubt......Water changes, Water changes
Yes I did one (26g) before I left and set another up for tonight just before I left. I'm just waiting for lights out in 30 minutes.

***Since the outage I had gone through a 200g box of salt plus 1 50g bag...

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My all my corals were growing fantastic until the outage... I know it unbalanced the alk ... but the whole tank looks awful. But if I frag these pieces they don't stn yet the main Colony does... makes no sense to me
Jackie, so sorry for the losses and hope you are on the mend. When SPS coral colonies RTN like you are experiencing, your best hope is to frag them. I know how devastating it can be to lose corals that have taken months and years to grow out, but those frags you save can be hardier and with time and care can grow back into thriving colonies.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jackie, so sorry for the losses and hope you are on the mend. When SPS coral colonies RTN like you are experiencing, your best hope is to frag them. I know how devastating it can be to lose corals that have taken months and years to grow out, but those frags you save can be hardier and with time and care can grow back into thriving colonies.
Thank you. Most of the lps have bounced back (lost a wellsi and favia) and only a couple of acros show no sign of damage so far. Most are damaged and some of the frags from the damaged ones didn't make it either. My frag tank is not big enough to hold as many corals that I have. I am manually dosing and need another dosing unit since I can't keep up with the daily uptake... I'm trying but the tank is too small for so many SPS. It is only a 20L.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays Parameters :

Time> 12:30 pm
Temp> 77.5 = Apex
PH> 8.21 = Apex (PH topped at 8.33 today and a low of 8.09 - this
was its old normal :p and has been like this for a week now)
Alk
> 7.7 = Salifert
CA> 440 = RS
MG> 1240 =RS
NO3> 5 = Salifert
PO4> .02 =Hannah LR
SG> 1.026 = Refractometer

Other than MG being a little low I am happy with the numbers, more importantly my tank seems happy for the 1st time in a month with exception of some cyano. I have seen a few acros turning around and a favia coming back, though I lost a few and am ultimately going to lose a couple more as I believe they are too far gone at this point. Most of the losses have been acros. Pics coming up....

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recovering;
Nearly dead favia is coming back. Green slimer that had stn at the base is encrusing over it.
Some corals stopped the stn, didn't get better but not any worse either. Such as the red planet and a few other acros.
I am afraid my lemonade, bonsai and blueberry fields may not survive. The stn is throughout their branches or have totally lost their bases. Some that lost color I see color returning. It seems the pinks and greens are what was mostly lost color wise. Now I see those colors returning on several of the SPS.
071f2b7d40e30f6cdf3d6244c5d34ed0.jpg
0cf694a1e92111d5c15737258aeb8607.jpg
eef2d4bb7c993f3209f9a2a963304f2e.jpg
00feb0647bfeac28fbd2d0c69ba2b540.jpg
8b9f494715b0b0ceeefa823eb7412644.jpg
914d0dd9e19aecfa451678b98af3f2ab.jpg
231bf4eb8af02b3173eb8e1aae263ed2.jpg

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

I always hate to see coral like this. But keep those parameters in check and they will start recovering in no time! Funny how both of us went thru issues recently bit it seems we are both on the up and up.

The lesson from this? Keep better track of our parameters haha

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

I always hate to see coral like this. But keep those parameters in check and they will start recovering in no time! Funny how both of us went thru issues recently bit it seems we are both on the up and up.

The lesson from this? Keep better track of our parameters haha
Lol or don't freak out and do massive water changes just because you smell dying coral after a power outage!

Yeah, it is a relief to see improvements... I'm very glad yours is doing better too. It's hard to sit there and watch them die slowly and there's not much you can do about it but try to stabilize the tank and hope they make it through it.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see things are turning around!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent this morning filling up ATO'S, feeding fish, checking parameters, cleaning glass and changing filter socks. So I'm done for the next couple of days. I have other non reef for lated stuff to do. I got a couple of new toys yesterday that I can't wait to use! I got a drill press and a scroll saw. I'm going to put the drill press to work today on a project I've been wanting to do for a long time. I just hate using jigs LOL. I'm cleaning out my office / sewing / craft room and reorganizing it. I've been in this house 13 years and boy does it need it [emoji12] My project is a 2 foot by 4 foot thread and ribbon rack to hang on the wall. The drill press is going to drill over 500 holes to put dowels in for thread holders. This way I don't have to dig through drawers anymore and can use those drawers for other things :)

Of course I'll have my phone on me so I'm still going to be around the Forum [emoji6]

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a new round of acro death the past couple of days. [emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24] I cut out all the dead that I could get off the rock and am back to doing back to back 26g wc's. I think* the acros are actually killing each other off.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really heartbreaking and depressing... the kind that makes you want to tear it down....[emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24]
I'm sorry to hear this

I hope it turns out to be a blessing in disguise

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear this

I hope it turns out to be a blessing in disguise
Thank you Justin. Me too but ATM I don't see it. I see all my acro colonies dead and what few are left are dying. The milli's and pocilloporas are all dead, 90% of the stags, all the torts all gone or might as well be. Pretty much all I have are 2 birdsnest and most of the montiporas. Some of which are very damaged. Lps still seem to be bouncing back. In 1 week po4, no3, alk, ca jumped - most I am thinking due to a combination of little uptake from the living and leaching from the dying/dead. Water changes don't seem to be helping a whole bunch. I have shut the doser down temporarily until I'm done with water changes to keep the numbers from skyrocketing anymore. I'm going to be testing daily now.
b64b4724f6955bea3cdce9ef9585bd00.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear Jackie.
Was the doser still on in the week of these test results? If yes than it explains the parameters.

Some events are not in our hands but reefers don't tear down... we build.
Hope the tank finds it balance soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... the tank was recovering or so it seemed before this last week and the Dozer appeared to be keeping up with it other than the magnesium which I had corrected after the first test that you see there. So I assumed everything was okay. Obviously it wasn't

Back