View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!!!
I thought he'd never start that video. :D
I was like... Can you get on with it. o_O
Lol, yes.

I also don't agree with everything he said. Particularly about higher nutrients causing outbreaks. My tank always got it when nutrients bottomed out or with the change of seasons with opening and closing the house. Plus I have always struggled with keeping "some" nutrients. Even twilliard says no one is exactly sure what causes it, only that there are some commonalities but not nessisarily causes. For example: every year it seems that Florida's gulf side gets red tide. This is cyanobacteria on a giant scale that causes fish death. One thing observed is that when the cyano reaches close to the surface it dies. Why? Probably due to the oxygen levels at the surface. Micro bubbling kills cyano also without meds. It can't live in darkness either. This has been proven as well. I could go on and on but I won't ;) But it's a VERY interesting subject.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I dislike about Jebao products - the controllers have a habit of shorting out! It doesn't matter whether it's being plugged in and out through the controller itself or plugged in once and never touching it . After about a year and a they tend to short out I have found. I've been through many of them and now my powerhead dual controller shorted out once again.... grrr. I do have the apex module for the jebao powerheads but I've not hooked it up because I like being able to control it on a whim with all the different adjustments that come with the controller. With Apex first of all it's a pain in the butt to set up. Especially if you want to be able to control each of two pumps individually. Secondly you don't have as many options. Then you have to hard-code it into Apex Fusion. Well that doesn't allow you to change things on a whim. So for that reason I never set it up. However it looks like I might get stuck doing that today... ugh

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes.

I also don't agree with everything he said. Particularly about higher nutrients causing outbreaks. My tank always got it when nutrients bottomed out or with the change of seasons with opening and closing the house. Plus I have always struggled with keeping "some" nutrients. Even twilliard says no one is exactly sure what causes it, only that there are some commonalities but not nessisarily causes. For example: every year it seems that Florida's gulf side gets red tide. This is cyanobacteria on a giant scale that causes fish death. One thing observed is that when the cyano reaches close to the surface it dies. Why? Probably due to the oxygen levels at the surface. Micro bubbling kills cyano also without meds. It can't live in darkness either. This has been proven as well. I could go on and on but I won't ;) But it's a VERY interesting subject.
+1
To all of the above. :)

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes.

After almost 3 years, my husband and I finally figured out why we have big issues with our tank twice a year. Once in the spring when we open the windows after turning off the heat and again in the fall when we open the windows after turning off the air. Needless to say, the windows closest to the tank will not be opened in the fall this year or anymore for that fact.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost 3 years, my husband and I finally figured out why we have big issues with our tank twice a year. Once in the spring when we open the windows after turning off the heat and again in the fall when we open the windows after turning off the air. Needless to say, the windows closest to the tank will not be opened in the fall this year or anymore for that fact.
Lol. I found that micro bubbling when I go to open everything up helps ease the issue though. And I only did it at night when everyone was sleeping and set it on a timer. It's something you might think about if you really really like your windows open like I do [emoji2]

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol!!!
I thought he'd never start that video. :D
I was like... Can you get on with it. o_O

I find his videos a bit trying, but to be fair it was a recorded Q&A session.

The way he uses Chemiclean & PhosphateRX makes me a little uncomfortable but it works for him. I should have linked to just the 60 second bit I found interesting, which was the way he ran his skimmer and just emptied it a dozen times that first day replacing with new saltwater. That was new to me.

I skimmed another thread this weekend where someone lost their tank overnight. While people were leaning towards some type of containment in the air, it could have been his palys as well. Potentially he will also never know.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it. For awhile there, you were understandably debating whether to move forward.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find his videos a bit trying, but to be fair it was a recorded Q&A session.

The way he uses Chemiclean & PhosphateRX makes me a little uncomfortable but it works for him. I should have linked to just the 60 second bit I found interesting, which was the way he ran his skimmer and just emptied it a dozen times that first day replacing with new saltwater. That was new to me.

I skimmed another thread this weekend where someone lost their tank overnight. While people were leaning towards some type of containment in the air, it could have been his palys as well. Potentially he will also never know.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it. For awhile there, you were understandably debating whether to move forward.
Haha yes he can be :D

Yeah I really don't care for the use of chemiclean but especially the phosphate rx. I tried the phosphate rx a while back and every thing in the tank either lost color or shriveled up. And I under dosed. I have used chemiclean about 2-3 times per year only because it worked best and was the fastest solution. I also never had an issue with it so I don't believe it was the root cause this time.

That's sad.... I will be getting rid of most of my palys, particularly the fast growing ones. I have TONS of AOGs and am not taking a chance with them.

For now yes I am sticking with it. But treading lightly on acros once the tank is ready. At least for a while ;)

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes he can be :D

Yeah I really don't care for the use of chemiclean but especially the phosphate rx. I tried the phosphate rx a while back and every thing in the tank either lost color or shriveled up. And I under dosed. I have used chemiclean about 2-3 times per year only because it worked best and was the fastest solution. I also never had an issue with it so I don't believe it was the root cause this time.

That's sad.... I will be getting rid of most of my palys, particularly the fast growing ones. I have TONS of AOGs and am not taking a chance with them.

For now yes I am sticking with it. But treading lightly on acros once the tank is ready. At least for a while ;)
I have one rock covered in palys. I am seriously considering taking it out of the tank as a just in case measure. I didn't realize the toxin they release could wipe out a tank. Might have to sit it on the deck for a few days or more to kill them off cause I would like to be able to reuse that rock.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one rock covered in palys. I am seriously considering taking it out of the tank as a just in case measure. I didn't realize the toxin they release could wipe out a tank. Might have to sit it on the deck for a few days or more to kill them off cause I would like to be able to reuse that rock.
Some play strains are so toxic that pharmaceutical company's study them for future medications.
If you take the rock out, I'd just find another rock to replace it with.
A few days on the deck won't do it. I've seen reefer's leave their play rock outside for months, only to see it come back, once the rock was placed back into the reef.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which palys are they. I wouldn't worry about them too much if they're very slow growing. The fast growers are the ones of concern

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some play strains are so toxic that pharmaceutical company's study them for future medications.
If you take the rock out, I'd just find another rock to replace it with.
A few days on the deck won't do it. I've seen reefer's leave their play rock outside for months, only to see it come back, once the rock was placed back into the reef.
Yes and some YEARS later.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which palys are they. I wouldn't worry about them too much if they're very slow growing. The fast growers are the ones of concern
I've been contemplating taking them out since first reading how toxic they could be. They were getting closer to spreading onto another rock and I didn't want them all over the place. I took the rock out yesterday and it is sitting in the sun to dry it up. Once sufficiently dry, I will clean it in a bucket with muriatic acid.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been contemplating taking them out since first reading how toxic they could be. They were getting closer to spreading onto another rock and I didn't want them all over the place. I took the rock out yesterday and it is sitting in the sun to dry it up. Once sufficiently dry, I will clean it in a bucket with muriatic acid.
They aren't all like that, only some. I'm still keeping some of my paolis that are slow Growers. But the ones that grow very quickly and spread very quickly are all going. Most of them are gone except for the armor of God switch I have tons of. I won't kill them I'll just turn them into my lfs.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell when my husband's home?

[emoji23] [emoji30] [emoji23]
0767e9d2f376383ee40937591c9e7002.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back