Jackson's SPS 25 Waterbox Peninsula

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two of the Gen 5 XR-15s on my 120 when it was a mixed reef and felt they were plenty of light. The redesign of the LEDs is great honestly. I’m a little surprised at your PAR numbers, especially with the reef brite add-one.

How do you like the All For Reef for dosing? I bought some for the new tank as well…. It looks promising and I like the simplicity of it for smaller tanks.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two of the Gen 5 XR-15s on my 120 when it was a mixed reef and felt they were plenty of light. The redesign of the LEDs is great honestly. I’m a little surprised at your PAR numbers, especially with the reef brite add-one.

How do you like the All For Reef for dosing? I bought some for the new tank as well…. It looks promising and I like the simplicity of it for smaller tanks.

On my last tank I ran G4’s. If I ran them this high I would have burned all of the corals. It seems that the g6 put out less intensity but spread it better than previous generations. I’m not too worried. I will work my way up to 100% ab+. If that’s still not enough I could always bring the white channels up a bit.
So, the All for Reef, I love it. It was easy to dial in the dosing amount. Cal and mag levels hold well when you only test for alk regularly. It great having only one dosing container. I am using a single Wi-Fi kamoer head so the whole thing is real low profile. Time will tell how well this works when demand goes up. Right now I’m dosing 18ml daily, but the tank is obviously frags (growing fast though )

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg! Welcome back!

your old thread is very inspirational, I keep going back to it and tried to replicate it a while back.

looking forward to see what you will do with this one!

I have the same tank same light (without the reefbrite). Pretty similar!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg! Welcome back!

your old thread is very inspirational, I keep going back to it and tried to replicate it a while back.

looking forward to see what you will do with this one!

I have the same tank same light (without the reefbrite). Pretty similar!
Thanks for the welcome back Kevin. I’m glad you like the old tank thread. I look back at that tank from time to time. I let life get in the way and that one suffered. I was drooling looking back at my only purple monster. Impossible to get that one these days. Had to post the pearlberry because it was the next pic . I have some nice ones in this little water box to start to grow out. The plan is to setup a much larger peninsula system once I move into a new home. I really like the waterbox 7225.. we’ll see

btw do you have a tank thread for your 25 waterbox? I like get some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_2222.png
    IMG_2222.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 113

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome back Kevin. I’m glad you like the old tank thread. I look back at that tank from time to time. I let life get in the way and that one suffered. I was drooling looking back at my only purple monster. Impossible to get that one these days. Had to post the pearlberry because it was the next pic . I have some nice ones in this little water box to start to grow out. The plan is to setup a much larger peninsula system once I move into a new home. I really like the waterbox 7225.. we’ll see

btw do you have a tank thread for your 25 waterbox? I like get some ideas.

nothing to show, really.

I moved recently, and had to downgrade to the Waterbox 25 with the same plan of a bigger peninsula down the road too. Very low budget with The red devil skimmer (good, fits in the compartment, but loud) and a DIY co2 media along with 24/7 kalk dripping thru a versa.

86BC9A98-A31D-4DC5-8F30-0B6F5768C748.jpeg

this is my first take on the Radion and a small tank. To be honest I really like how easy it is to keep it (though still being neglected haha). I regret not adding sand :(

really feel like I need a canopy for this tank tho. The whole room is blue!

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing to show, really.

I moved recently, and had to downgrade to the Waterbox 25 with the same plan of a bigger peninsula down the road too. Very low budget with The red devil skimmer (good, fits in the compartment, but loud) and a DIY co2 media along with 24/7 kalk dripping thru a versa.

86BC9A98-A31D-4DC5-8F30-0B6F5768C748.jpeg

this is my first take on the Radion and a small tank. To be honest I really like how easy it is to keep it (though still being neglected haha). I regret not adding sand :(

really feel like I need a canopy for this tank tho. The whole room is blue!
The sps look great in there! Whatever you’re doing keep it up! Try one of those 3d printed light shades for the radion. They work well to limit the light spill.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a xr15 g5 blue at 100% ab+ and getting similar values as you. Think they are in my build thread. I'm looking at adding either AI Blades or an aquatic life hybrid light. Only issue is the tank is only 19" long I believe and I don't really want light growing stuff in the overflow. I may just swap for a xr30, I don't know. Trying to figure that out and flow since i went mp10 route and can't stick them on back wall.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a xr15 g5 blue at 100% ab+ and getting similar values as you. Think they are in my build thread. I'm looking at adding either AI Blades or an aquatic life hybrid light. Only issue is the tank is only 19" long I believe and I don't really want light growing stuff in the overflow. I may just swap for a xr30, I don't know. Trying to figure that out and flow since i went mp10 route and can't stick them on back wall.
It's tough in this little tank. I ramped up the intensity but I immediately saw an adverse reaction with some SPS. Less polyp extension, lighter color, less calcification etc. Of course some SPS responded very well. Either way, I backed off. Running 80% with the white up a few more percentage. The reefbrites add an additional 60 par to the radion. They run most of the photoperiod.

Flow is tough. I went with 2 Nero 3's. It provides good flow through the whole tank but I get a sand storm. I have siphoned out most of the sand. I may keep it BB or might add crushed coral to stay put with high flow. not sure what I'm doing yet. I have to check out your build thread for ideas :)

Looks fantastic.

holy **** GIF
Thanks!

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. You've given me some good ideas. I have a PM25 too with quite a few of your same working components, but wanted something a little larger for the cabinet it sits on (and i made the rock work piece too big initially). Had Waterbox stretch one out to 34" long for a custom tank. Also made the filter area 1" longer so i could get my hands in there. Just arrived last week and need to find time to make a transference.

Always had problems with algae. It started about 6 months in and lasted till about 18 months. Think it was mostly the rockwork leaching. Tried a few methods to make it go away. Still some exists every now and then. Think the bigger tank (only 10+ gallons additional) should help some.

I have the radion g5 with reefbrites. Think i run them around 70% AB. I attached it to the backside of the tank instead of the filter area. Havent had much luck with SPS yet, but will keep trying. LPS seem to do okay. No luck with clams.

Thanks for your posting. Looking forward to seeing the growth.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. You've given me some good ideas. I have a PM25 too with quite a few of your same working components, but wanted something a little larger for the cabinet it sits on (and i made the rock work piece too big initially). Had Waterbox stretch one out to 34" long for a custom tank. Also made the filter area 1" longer so i could get my hands in there. Just arrived last week and need to find time to make a transference.

Always had problems with algae. It started about 6 months in and lasted till about 18 months. Think it was mostly the rockwork leaching. Tried a few methods to make it go away. Still some exists every now and then. Think the bigger tank (only 10+ gallons additional) should help some.

I have the radion g5 with reefbrites. Think i run them around 70% AB. I attached it to the backside of the tank instead of the filter area. Havent had much luck with SPS yet, but will keep trying. LPS seem to do okay. No luck with clams.

Thanks for your posting. Looking forward to seeing the growth.

Glad you could pick up some ideas. I think having a skimmer as powerful as this aquamax bullet 3 is the reason why I get away with having very little algae and a heavy bio-load in a young tank. Not sure if you're skimming, if not, it helps immensely.

That was quick!
Looks great though
Thanks! This whole tank was done quick. I'm always in a big freakin rush! I cringe when I see guys with dead rocks just trying their first SPS after 6-12 months :D

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you running all your channels at 100 percent and just adjusted the overall intensity to 80 percent.

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you could pick up some ideas. I think having a skimmer as powerful as this aquamax bullet 3 is the reason why I get away with having very little algae and a heavy bio-load in a young tank. Not sure if you're skimming, if not, it helps immensely.

Thanks! This whole tank was done quick. I'm always in a big freakin rush! I cringe when I see guys with dead rocks just trying their first SPS after 6-12 months :D
I bought the Aquamaxx Bullet 1 for my tank and have been happy with it so far. The build quality is excellent. Still adjusting the cup height.

And I might have to take your advice and get some SPS for the tank … need to get the sky high phosphates down first.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you running all your channels at 100 percent and just adjusted the overall intensity to 80 percent.

No, AB+ template at 80% with the added reefbrites which add 60 more par. Looking at the graph, that's about 60% overall intensity for the radion.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Aquamaxx Bullet 1 for my tank and have been happy with it so far. The build quality is excellent. Still adjusting the cup height.

And I might have to take your advice and get some SPS for the tank … need to get the sky high phosphates down first.

you would be surprised what sps can handle as far as high phosphates. You can get some amazing colors but you have to blast them with higher par than a clean tank. What kind of nitrate and phosphate numbers are you running?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back