Jackson's SPS 25 Waterbox Peninsula

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested on Saturday and will test again tomorrow. I expect the phosphate to come down some.

My alk was 7.7.
Calcium 425
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.62 ppm !!

I use the Hanna ULR phosphorous test. I am 99% sure it’s the rock leaching as I have 2 tiny clown fish and one blue green chromis and haven’t feed much at all. The LPS corals look fine so far

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested on Saturday and will test again tomorrow. I expect the phosphate to come down some.

My alk was 7.7.
Calcium 425
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.62 ppm !!

I use the Hanna ULR phosphorous test. I am 99% sure it’s the rock leaching as I have 2 tiny clown fish and one blue green chromis and haven’t feed much at all. The LPS corals look fine so far
Yea .6 is disproportionately high. Rock or something definitely actively adding po4. .2 or less would be something more manageable. What kind of rock did you use?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 xr15 gen 5 blue on my 80g.
I run full ab+ at 90% scheduled.
I have not ran a par test. Rack system puts the rack to surface at 12.5". Growth and color are excellent.

I like the skimmer. On my old 20 I ran skimmerless with good results.
The 20g reboot runs a 2" air driven skimmer so nothing is hanging off the tank.

I did the same with my 20. Live rock from my other systems for a no cycle start. Acros in within a week.

Looking forward to see how this grows in.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few blue led/orange gel filter pics. Nitrates have been getting up to 25ppm easily so I increased amount of carbon dosing a bit, reduced feedings a little. Growth not as fast as I would like at the moment. Is what it is at about 11 weeks old. Needs some time.

Attachments

• IMG_7625.jpeg
    IMG_7625.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7619.jpeg
    IMG_7619.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7615.jpeg
    IMG_7615.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7616.jpeg
    IMG_7616.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7628.jpeg
    IMG_7628.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7621.jpeg
    IMG_7621.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7626.jpeg
    IMG_7626.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 62

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank second hand from a facebook group at a good price. Looking to upgrade the return pump. How do you like the Jebao DCS1200? Did you have to cut or shave off anything to make it fit? Is it loud? Thinking of getting that pump or just the Sicce Silent 1.0

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank second hand from a facebook group at a good price. Looking to upgrade the return pump. How do you like the Jebao DCS1200? Did you have to cut or shave off anything to make it fit? Is it loud? Thinking of getting that pump or just the Sicce Silent 1.0

So many guys were complaining of the sicce, eheim, and stock pumps being very noisy. I also wanted a controllable pump. So far the jeabo dcs 1200 has been totally silent. I haven't cleaned it yet and the tank has serious Coraline growth already. I think it is the best choice. Yes, you have to shave off the intake a little to fit it in. I used a cutoff wheel to slice it.

IMG_5745.jpeg

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My alk was 7.7.
Calcium 425
Nitrate 10
Phosphate 0.62 ppm !!

isnt the hanna phosphoroue checker in PPB? so not as bad as you would think

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few blue led/orange gel filter pics. Nitrates have been getting up to 25ppm easily so I increased amount of carbon dosing a bit, reduced feedings a little. Growth not as fast as I would like at the moment. Is what it is at about 11 weeks old. Needs some time.
Beautiful! What filter are you using?

Those Zoas are incredible.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! What filter are you using?

Those Zoas are incredible.
Thanks. I’m not really a zoa guy but I liked those. The shop called them grand master kraks . For a gel filter I’m using one of the shades from this pack (not sure which one)

I cut a circle and stuck it in one of those rebranded clip on phone lens that many companies use.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking great! My corals ended up stalling under just xr15’s I added some halides and they exploded with growth lol.. I’m still using the xr15’s as supplements

Thanks. I sure do miss halides. I would love to run a 250w aqua space light pendant over a tank this size but can’t find them anymore. After I finish a move and start a large system I’ll have halides over my frag tanks at least. I kept my old lumatek select a watt ballasts. No suprise to me that halides gave you a growth explosion.

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading forums on the planted aquarium side and they recommend adding tons of plants at the beginning- the more the better. Their rationale is that the plants will absorb the nutrients which will lead to stability and less of an algae bloom from the start.

Earlier in this thread you mentioned adding corals earlier than most would recommend. I wonder if the same applies to reefing - provided the tank can maintain stable parameters of course - adding lots of corals to absorb some of the nutrients.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading forums on the planted aquarium side and they recommend adding tons of plants at the beginning- the more the better. Their rationale is that the plants will absorb the nutrients which will lead to stability and less of an algae bloom from the start.

Earlier in this thread you mentioned adding corals earlier than most would recommend. I wonder if the same applies to reefing - provided the tank can maintain stable parameters of course - adding lots of corals to absorb some of the nutrients.

The same can be said for live rock with Coraline algae. This will also consume nutrient. IMO/IME stability of the availability for nutrients is just as important as keeping alk stable. Most guys just have the nutrient stability with age, which is why you read that a tank must be X age to keep acros. It's certainly easier with age, but can be done other was as my last several tanks were. The smaller and newer, the more of a b!t$h it is. I test my po4 more than most guys test their alk in this little tank.

OP
OP
jackson6745

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That didn’t take long! What bulb are you using?
How will you mitigate heat?
One popped up on eBay so I grabbed it. I order a 150w radium, waiting on the bulb. It has some kind 10k in there now, super bright. The coverage is night and day over a radion. I’m looking forward to the coral response over the next several week. Heat from a 150w is no big deal. I keep the room at 71. I had 400's on my old 120 and didn't need a chiller. I keep the house cool for my dogs anyway. A fan hooked up to the controller keep the temperature consistent when the halide is on. For guys that keep their room 77-78 degrees, halide is not for them.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back