Jacob's Red Sea Reefer 350 Build

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have been a member of this site for years but not very active at all lately, mainly because I have not had a tank up and running since 2013. My dive into reef aquariums started in 2008 when I started up my first tank; a 55 gallon (48x12x24) tank with hang on skimmer and T5 lighting. After having that tank for a few years I got an Oceanic 75 gallon (36x18x24) system with a sump and metal halide lighting. Both tanks were really successful and healthy for a few years. Then life happened and my girlfriend at the time and I broke up and since she owned the condo we were living at, this meant I need to take the tanks down (the apartment I had rented after the breakup was on the 2nd floor and couldn't support the weight of the tanks). It was so hard selling all my fish and coral that I had been collecting over the years that I decided that I would not set up another tank until I owned a home of my own and would not have to go through that experience again.

Well, here we are 2019 and I have owned a home since August! I waited until now to start to set up a new Red Sea Reefer 350, mainly because I wanted to get settled into the house and make a plan on what type of tank I wanted. About 3 weeks ago I began cycling all my old rock in a brute trash can. Adding Dr Tim's One and Only and some pellet food to kick off the ammonia spike.

The Red Sea Reefer 350 arrived to my home two weeks ago and I figured it was a good time to formally introduce myself and start a build thread!

Equipment Owned:
Bulk Reef Supply 7 Stage RO/DI unit
Red Sea Reefer 350
Maxspect Gyre xf330 (2)
Kessil AP700 with Mounting Arms
Eheim Jager 250w Heater
Nyos Quantum 160 Protein Skimmer
Kessil H80 Refugium Light with Gooseneck
Neptune Apex
Neptune COR15 Return Pump
Neptune DOS/DDR
Neptune LDK
BRS Carbon/GFO Reactor

Biological Filtration:
50 lbs sand - CaribSea Fiji Pink
90 lbs rock - Rock is from my old tanks (mixture of Fiji and Pukani)
1 Marine Pure Plate

Other Items Used:
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Red Sea DIY Net Tank Cover
ESV B-Ionic 2 Part
Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmmino
Vibrant
CoralRx Dip
Hanna ULR Phosphate Checker
Hanna Alkalinity Checker
Aquaforest Magnesium Test Kit
Red Sea Calcium Test Kit
Nyos Nitrate Test Kit

Equipment Still Needed:
UV
ATO

Last edited:
OP
OP
jvalentine

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Pictures of the progress so far:

RODI.jpg

Rocks in Brute.jpg

RSR350box.jpg

On Stand.jpg

WaterSandRocksIN.jpg

OP
OP
jvalentine

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great after the rescape!
How’s your sump looking?

Very good! Will post a picture when I get home, but right now its just a return pump, a MarinePure Plate, and some Reef-Spec Carbon in a media cup.

Going to get the Red Sea 300 Skimmer, but all my local shops as well as PremiumAquatics and SaltwaterAquarium.com are sold out right now. BRS has not had them for sale either, but according to them they are coming in a few days/weeks

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back