Jakarta live rock in the US

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fabulous rock compared to the man made stuff but it's "moist" rock. Comes in in batches and sits in the box until someone picks it up. I'm sure it still has bacteria on it. But the main attraction is having natural looking real porous rock that can function like the actual live rock of yore. Doesn't have anything on it to die off so can stick it right in.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking rock, but shipping Pacific rock air freight is a must. I don't want anything that's been in a sitting in a box for weeks. I miss the Fiji of the Nineties.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out my LFS can get it but they are closed today so I’ll have to call tomorrow for price and to hopefully order a few lbs. getting some Australian rock soon as well so my tank will be a bit of both.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out my LFS can get it but they are closed today so I’ll have to call tomorrow for price and to hopefully order a few lbs. getting some Australian rock soon as well so my tank will be a bit of both.
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you getting Australian live rock from?

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m ordering mine Monday and picking up wednesday. Can’t wait to see your pics.

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80F60BF4-CEA3-482A-A5B6-6ABE989F15CB.jpeg
3F5E26B6-B1A0-4A81-80B0-FAE145880CF0.jpeg

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order this from?!
My LFS here in NC went and picked it up at Carolina Aquatics. According to him their stock is very low and the next shipment will have much higher freight charges attached to it from Jakarta. My guy here said he was going to call and claim the rest that Carolina Aquatics has and pick it up next week. He’s going to call me when he picks it up and I’m going to get 50 more pounds myself. I don’t know how much he’s going to get in total. I bought all but 4 or 5 pieces he had in stock today.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is picking up some this week and I told him I wanted 50 pounds for a new 146 gal build. He was advising to go all live, and that the dry rock and it’s composition was a contributing factor in nuisance algae etc.
He’s probably right but all live rock would set me back $2100. I can swing $700 for 50 lbs but even that will give me nightmares for a few days.
He is also the one trying to make a buck, put the live rock on top and the base/dry/whatever rock on the bottom, it will be enough to seed the dry rock.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back