Jakarta live rock in the US

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently there are “box charge” on everhthing right now because charter flights for instance if you pay 500 for a box of rocks it’s another 500 for a charter flight to the states on top off thag since not much commercial flights are currently happening so the prices are really high right now

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s honestly not bad. KP was pushing around $11 or so a pound when I last ordered. Yes still more expensive than dry rock but not a bad price at all

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you don’t need all live rock. Just some pieces to help boost the bacterial strains will help a ton!
Exactly! $100 spent on live rock is always better than $100 spent on dry rock. I personally would never set up a tank with 100% dry rock, ever! I know people do it and are successful, but I’ll never be one of them.

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you don’t need all live rock. Just some pieces to help boost the bacterial strains will help a ton!
My LFS is picking up some this week and I told him I wanted 50 pounds for a new 146 gal build. He was advising to go all live, and that the dry rock and it’s composition was a contributing factor in nuisance algae etc.
He’s probably right but all live rock would set me back $2100. I can swing $700 for 50 lbs but even that will give me nightmares for a few days.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My LFS is picking up some this week and I told him I wanted 50 pounds for a new 146 gal build. He was advising to go all live, and that the dry rock and it’s composition was a contributing factor in nuisance algae etc.
He’s probably right but all live rock would set me back $2100. I can swing $700 for 50 lbs but even that will give me nightmares for a few days.
You can use dry rock, but it takes a long time to cure and go through the initial phosphate absorption/leaching phase. Also, I think you'll find that 50lbs of Jakarta rock is a pretty good amount of rock. This isn't dense heavy rock, it's very similar to old Marshall Island rock, which was pretty light weight with lots of openings.

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personal preference I love dry rock because the scapes, but I was talking to Kris at Carolina aquatics today, and I think I’m going to get some to supplement the dry rock and make it even stronger biologically, and I’ll have more rock to seed future tanks clients tanks etc..

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use dry rock, but it takes a long time to cure and go through the initial phosphate absorption/leaching phase. Also, I think you'll find that 50lbs of Jakarta rock is a pretty good amount of rock. This isn't dense heavy rock, it's very similar to old Marshall Island rock, which was pretty light weight with lots of openings.
Oh I get it, I really do. But between the tank, pumps, lights, etc., and I got some good deals too, especially on the lights and skimmer, it’s still added up to a ton of money. As much as I’d like to do all live rock, my wallet is just too light right now. 50 pounds will have to do…..

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 pounds will be more than enough. The bacteria strains on those rocks will grow, and spread to other rocks, and make it just as potent in time.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can this be bought? I called a couple reef stores in North Carolina and they are clueless. I’m in Georgia and I’m down to make the drive for some real stuff

Back