It's that sunlight broski.

Sun in your reef can change a lot.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm, never heard of a sunlight broski Duncan! Can’t find anything online about them.

So this specific Duncan are known for fluctuation?
Haha no I'm sorry.

In the photo you took, it looks like there's sunlight getting into your tank hitting your duncan at that exact moment you're taking the photo.

If that's the case, that's why the duncan in shriveling.

Is it next to a window?

(Broski is just some Los Angeles Slang for "Bro" - "Brother" etc.)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be to big for what I need. But once I get more frags, I don’t want to run out of room if I get the smaller version…
Why not just start mounting some of them to your rockwork? If you use super glue, it’s incredibly easy to move them if you need to (unless they’ve encrusted on to the rocks, but even then it’s not that difficult). IMO, a frag rack in a nano is an eye sore, I get the need to have one to acclimate corals to your lighting or if you frag your corals and intend to sell or trade them, but if you’re planning on keeping and/or growing these out, you might as well mount them. Again, and this is just my opinion, but the trend these days of display tanks looking more like frag tanks instead of a reef is just not aesthetically pleasing.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no I'm sorry.

In the photo you took, it looks like there's sunlight getting into your tank hitting your duncan at that exact moment you're taking the photo.

If that's the case, that's why the duncan in shriveling.

Is it next to a window?

(Broski is just some Los Angeles Slang for "Bro" - "Brother" etc.)
Lol, man am I stupid. ;Hilarious

It’s actually right next to a freshwater tank. Should I block out that side of the saltwater tank, so the light from the fw doesn’t affect it?

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just start mounting some of them to your rockwork? If you use super glue, it’s incredibly easy to move them if you need to (unless they’ve encrusted on to the rocks, but even then it’s not that difficult). IMO, a frag rack in a nano is an eye sore, I get the need to have one to acclimate corals to your lighting or if you frag your corals and intend to sell or trade them, but if you’re planning on keeping and/or growing these out, you might as well mount them. Again, and this is just my opinion, but the trend these days of display tanks looking more like frag tanks instead of a reef is just not aesthetically pleasing.
Wouldn’t I have to take the rocks out in order to glue the coral to them?

Also, I still haven’t worked out the flow exactly in my tank, so I don’t know if the coral will like it on the rock work. I’m also still battling GHA, so this is something to consider as well. :/

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my rocks are just balancing on each other. I know they should be concreted together, but they aren’t.

So if I take a rock out to try to attach a coral to it, I may not be able to get it balanced again.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my rocks are just balancing on each other. I know they should be concreted together, but they aren’t.

So if I take a rock out to try to attach a coral to it, I may not be able to get it balanced again.
You mount them in the tank. You take the coral out, put a dab of super glue gel on it and then stick it where you want it. It’s also good that your rocks are cemented together, makes it easier to change things or clean under them. Unless you’re trying to support a bunch of weight or you have urchins or something that can move rocks, it’s not necessary. To glue/mount the frags, either remove them from the frag plug or use bone shears to cut the peg off. Then put a generous dollop of glue on the bottom of the frag, use the tip of the applicator or a toothpick to move the glue around a little to make sure it’s touching as much surface as possible, then stick to the rock where you want it and move it back and forth and up and down a couple times, you basically want to get the glue in all the pores of the rock and also have the water cure a few layers of glue, you want the glue to look sort of stringy between the frag and the rock, and then you sort of twist it down on to the rock (like 45°) and hold it there for 20-30 seconds. It should be stuck, then you want to fan it with some water with your hand to make sure it’s not wobbling , and that’s it. They’ll stay stuck, but if you want to move it later you just barely have to bump it and it’ll come off.

As far as the algae, you can take a new toothbrush and scrub clean the spot where you’re going to mount it, but even that’s not really necessary. But otherwise it’s not a concern. Your flow is likely better in the middle of the water column, look at how the algae is moving to get an idea of direction and intensity. You can always move the coral or the powerhead if the flow isn’t quit right. If there’s a coral you know you want in a certain place, especially in a nano, I would move the powerhead to suit my aquascape/coral placement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mount them in the tank. You take the coral out, put a dab of super glue gel on it and then stick it where you want it. It’s also good that your rocks are cemented together, makes it easier to change things or clean under them. Unless you’re trying to support a bunch of weight or you have urchins or something that can move rocks, it’s not necessary. To glue/mount the frags, either remove them from the frag plug or use bone shears to cut the peg off. Then put a generous dollop of glue on the bottom of the frag, use the tip of the applicator or a toothpick to move the glue around a little to make sure it’s touching as much surface as possible, then stick to the rock where you want it and move it back and forth and up and down a couple times, you basically want to get the glue in all the pores of the rock and also have the water cure a few layers of glue, you want the glue to look sort of stringy between the frag and the rock, and then you sort of twist it down on to the rock (like 45°) and hold it there for 20-30 seconds. It should be stuck, then you want to fan it with some water with your hand to make sure it’s not wobbling , and that’s it. They’ll stay stuck, but if you want to move it later you just barely have to bump it and it’ll come off.

As far as the algae, you can take a new toothbrush and scrub clean the spot where you’re going to mount it, but even that’s not really necessary. But otherwise it’s not a concern. Your flow is likely better in the middle of the water column, look at how the algae is moving to get an idea of direction and intensity. You can always move the coral or the powerhead if the flow isn’t quit right. If there’s a coral you know you want in a certain place, especially in a nano, I would move the powerhead to suit my aquascape/coral placement.
Thanks! Tons of great advice!

I was afraid the super glue wouldn’t harden properly under water, but I’m so glad that it will!

—-

I’ve heard of some issues with putting 2 different species of palys next to each other. Is this true? Will they fight or something?

I’m considering putting the gold & pink palys next to my big colony, on the same rock.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Tons of great advice!

I was afraid the super glue wouldn’t harden properly under water, but I’m so glad that it will!

—-

I’ve heard of some issues with putting 2 different species of palys next to each other. Is this true? Will they fight or something?

I’m considering putting the gold & pink palys next to my big colony, on the same rock.
I’ve never had any issues putting different Palys or zoas (or Palys and zoas) next to each other. I would give them a little bit of space though just so the have some room to grow.

Edit: and the water actually makes the super glue set faster. Make sure to use gel though, the regular kind is just too thin to get it to stick to such uneven surfaces.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, man am I stupid. ;Hilarious

It’s actually right next to a freshwater tank. Should I block out that side of the saltwater tank, so the light from the fw doesn’t affect it?

Ohh okay, that's what the light is lol. Hmm. not sure depends on how strong your freshwater tank lights are. Putting a piece of cardboard between them is never a bad idea though. I know duncans prefer very low lighting though.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had any issues putting different Palys or zoas (or Palys and zoas) next to each other. I would give them a little bit of space though just so the have some room to grow.

Edit: and the water actually makes the super glue set faster. Make sure to use gel though, the regular kind is just too thin to get it to stick to such uneven surfaces.
Ok, will do, thanks!

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just scares me last night, because I could clearly see the skeleton all the way around each head, and the tentacles were super small and all shrunken in.

I think I got like 4 hours of sleep last night because I was so worried. ;Facepalm

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More pics!

The Duncan perked back up!
C0055B8F-D08B-496E-A302-C20C19B79DFC.jpeg
75FDD0E9-6025-4C7A-905E-2B8710744263.jpeg

It’s also growing ANOTHER small head!
27BA7658-0D54-47B5-947B-050A9174A97B.jpeg

(hard to see, but it’s growing right next to the small head on the side)

Big colony:
A19497D3-118D-4BA6-8C18-5626F0E92640.jpeg

Neon green Kenya tree:
8F0889D4-350B-4E23-BD49-CB4715B90C45.jpeg
Your Duncans and zoas look like they’re reaching for the light, might try either turning the light up a little bit or moving them higher on the rockwork. Also, Euphyllias (and really all LPS) will retract at night and sometimes almost look dead, but it’s completely normal, so long as you can see some tissue over the skeleton, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It just scares me last night, because I could clearly see the skeleton all the way around each head, and the tentacles were super small and all shrunken in.
Just as Max said, as long as there is tissue covering the skeleton plates, I wouldn't worry, yet. If the flow on the torch is linear, you may need to add another power head to change it up. Unless you're using a Wave maker.
Believe it or not, a lot of those corals don't need a lot of flow

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Duncans and zoas look like they’re reaching for the light, might try either turning the light up a little bit or moving them higher on the rockwork. Also, Euphyllias (and really all LPS) will retract at night and sometimes almost look dead, but it’s completely normal, so long as you can see some tissue over the skeleton, I wouldn’t worry about it.
Ok, I’ll try it! I have my light on at max eight now, so I might need another one?

Also, once I get the light hung, they will be able to get light much easier.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as Max said, as long as there is tissue covering the skeleton plates, I wouldn't worry, yet. If the flow on the torch is linear, you may need to add another power head to change it up. Unless you're using a Wave maker.
Believe it or not, a lot of those corals don't need a lot of flow
Ok, gotcha.

Is the small head always being swept to one side?
No, just the tentacles on that side are sort of shrunk up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back