James’s 29g Nano Build

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been since I moved it around after the clean. Maybe it’s in a bad location? (Too much flow?)

Don’t have anywhere to put them. I don’t want to glue them to rocks yet because I don’t know if I will need to do another rip clean soon.

I would, but here again, I don’t know how permanent the rock work setup is right now.

(this is why I think I would benefit from a frag rack. Having a rack would keep them all in place and it would also be super easy to remove it if I needed to do another rip clean)

I have no idea what my PAR is unfortunately. I had heard they don’t appreciate super bright lights, so that’s why I moved it down there.

The rock work is just sort of a big mess because of the rip clean.

I would EVENTUALLY like for all the rock work to connected, so 1) they won’t fall down when I touch the stack, and 2) so I can easily remove the whole structure.
Right on man. James your a braver man than me already. Live and learn is the only way bud. My personal opinion if it was me I may have waited knowing what I know now. Trust me ive made my share of mistakes and lost plenty of money on high dollar shrooms not knowing.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results:

Phos: ehhh hard to say. I would guess between 0.25-0.50? Take your guess:
6B5CED3E-6A13-40AE-858D-9920A3FFAE7A.jpeg

Nitrate: looks like 0ppm.

(I don’t actually have the reef chart, I’m using pics online)
But it’s a solid yellow:
image.jpg

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results:

Phos: ehhh hard to say. I would guess between 0.25-0.50? Take your guess:
6B5CED3E-6A13-40AE-858D-9920A3FFAE7A.jpeg

Nitrate: looks like 0ppm.

(I don’t actually have the reef chart, I’m using pics online)
But it’s a solid yellow:
image.jpg
If it is truly 0 you gotta put a little nitrates in the system. I have sky high nitrates and no phosphates and no m dealing with dinos

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a close up of the Kenya:
8685C07A-FA98-4AC9-9677-CEA425233A14.jpeg

Definetly droopy.

If it is truly 0 you gotta put a little nitrates in the system. I have sky high nitrates and no phosphates and no m dealing with dinos
How do I add nitrates?

Low flow, medium low light.
Hmm, ok, I may try to put it on the rocks off to the right side?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant help you with colors but I'd make sure you followed directions to the T with api nitrate kit. My wife can get it to match my red sea kit but there's a ton of shaking. Adding and shaking while your waiting to add and then 5 minutes of waiting lol
Unfortunately your not going to get a true reading for nitrates or really know your actual level until the gha stops using it up. The fact that gha is still growing tells us that your system is def not devoid of nitrates.
Id stay on regular feeding of livestock only.. Weekly clean up with water changes. Test day after water changes and clean up. And continue to do that and you will get true proper param levels. I would NOT dose nitrates. Gha wouldn't be growing if you didn't have too much already.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s a close up of the Kenya:
8685C07A-FA98-4AC9-9677-CEA425233A14.jpeg

Definetly droopy.

How do I add nitrates?

Hmm, ok, I may try to put it on the rocks off to the right side?
Polyp extension is nice. I am thinking more of light being too bright.

Would you say it's improved with in the last few days?
If so, I would leave it and let it finish acclimating to the light.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant help you with colors but I'd make sure you followed directions to the T with api nitrate kit. My wife can get it to match my red sea kit but there's a ton of shaking. Adding and shaking while your waiting to add and then 5 minutes of waiting lol
Unfortunately your not going to get a true reading for nitrates or really know your actual level until the gha stops using it up. The fact that gha is still growing tells us that your system is def not devoid of nitrates.
Id stay on regular feeding of livestock only.. Weekly clean up with water changes. Test day after water changes and clean up. And continue to do that and you will get true proper param levels. I would NOT dose nitrates. Gha wouldn't be growing if you didn't have too much already.
Indeed ^ I totally forgot you were battling GHA I’m following so many threads I can’t keep up.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, any suggestions on where to move the Kenya?
Like mibu said let it finish acclimating. I have a classic kenya tree before the tank crash I had mine in moderate flow and under 150-200 par it seemed to like the flow it kept it standing l. But that’s my experience yours may be different

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need good test kits. :rolleyes:

—-

My pay check just came in from work. I might be able to afford 1 test kit. If I can manage to get 1, what should I get? (Nitrate? Pho’s?)

—-

At this point I don’t want to upgrade my light (mostly because of the NP K7 light giveaway) and I don’t want to get a skimmer. And that is because I’m looking to upgrade to something bigger. (Hopefully an already established system)

This might be a while, but I don’t want to spend all that money when I probably won’t ever use it after I upgrade tanks.

confused disney animation GIF

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mibu said let it finish acclimating. I have a classic kenya tree before the tank crash I had mine in moderate flow and under 150-200 par it seemed to like the flow it kept it standing l. But that’s my experience yours may be different
Ok, I’ll just leave it be for now.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need good test kits. :rolleyes:

—-

My pay check just came in from work. I might be able to afford 1 test kit. If I can manage to get 1, what should I get? (Nitrate? Pho’s?)

—-

At this point I don’t want to upgrade my light (mostly because of the NP K7 light giveaway) and I don’t want to get a skimmer. And that is because I’m looking to upgrade to something bigger. (Hopefully an already established system)

This might be a while, but I don’t want to spend all that money when I probably won’t ever use it after I upgrade tanks.

confused disney animation GIF
Honestly I wouldn't do anything.
I'd have lfs confirm your test results next chance you get.
Re check nitrates in meantime a few times and make sure your getting same results and consistency.
Wouldn't freak out as said your system is getting plenty of nutrients by the growth im seeing in algae.
Get rid of all the algae so your corals don't have to compete for nutrients.
Stay on track.
Finish the clean you started.
Stay up on maintenance it will fall together.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly though. Save up for a nice system. You'll thank yourself later. I had a terrible system back from 2006 - 2018. It held up grew large corals. It was just ugly and unsightly. I had 1 gallon jug of water with a drip line for my top off water.

55g aquarium tied to a 30g aquarium fuge from a hob overflow. An Aqua C Remora pro skimmer. I bought it because Bob fenner knew the guy who made them and highly recommended them. He passed away last year. Wetweb media was my go to place for information. Anyhow
If I had waited just a couple of more months I could have gotten a reef octopus. New designs pop up all the time.
I never took pics of the 30g sump/fuge. It didn't look right at all. Plants all over the place, random corals. It was a mess.

What a rambling mess....

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back