James’s 29g Nano Build

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the color on the fins! Beautiful fish :)
She's really something else.
bling 00.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the thing about science and why it’s so flawed. Today’s scientific fact is tomorrow’s joke of the day.
ive got mine on 12 hours with 1 1/2 hour ramp on each end and just 4 hours of peak light at midday. I dunno.
Science isn’t flawed. Things change as we learn new things, but science, or the scientific method is not flawed.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Science isn’t flawed. Things change as we learn new things, but science, or the scientific method is not flawed.
It's full of flaws. That's why it changes. No flaw, no change. They make a guess, research that guess. It's a lot of work. But still full of flaws. As we all are.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too big of a discussion topic for James' build thread, but I understand your viewpoint. I'll stick with mine too though :).

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, besides the whole hermit crab fiasco, everything is good.

Fed the coral Reef Candy this morning, and they loved it. Also tried feeding it to the Duncan (smaller heads as well) and it sucked it right up!
E5FAF9FE-5BA2-44CC-9478-63A1BC968735.jpeg
ACC7CAC5-FEB8-42F7-8FC4-14F27168582E.jpeg
Are you sure it wasn’t just a hermit’s molt? Did you see them pull the hermit out of its shell? Is there an empty shell? Also, holy smokes that’s a lot of Valonia, never noticed that in any of your pics, you might want to consider getting an emerald crab.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it wasn’t just a hermit’s molt? Did you see them pull the hermit out of its shell? Is there an empty shell? Also, holy smokes that’s a lot of Valonia, never noticed that in any of your pics, you might want to consider getting an emerald crab.
Yes, I saw them yank it out of the shell and then start trying to eat it. The dottyback was also helping when I came back to check on it. (Not a molt)

It is a lot of GBA… I hate it. That was the only rock I didn’t remove from the tank when I did the strip clean, because it had the big colony on it. That’s the only area in the whole tank that has GBA.

I’ve heard that getting emerald crabs is sort of a hit and miss when dealing with GBA? Also, is it true that if you “pop” or try to remove one of the bubbles, it will release spores and just grow more?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I saw them yank it out of the shell and then start trying to eat it. The dottyback was also helping when I came back to check on it. (Not a molt)

It is a lot of GBA… I hate it. That was the only rock I didn’t remove from the tank when I did the strip clean, because it had the big colony on it. That’s the only area in the whole tank that has GBA.

I’ve heard that getting emerald crabs is sort of a hit and miss when dealing with GBA? Also, is it true that if you “pop” or try to remove one of the bubbles, it will release spores and just grow more?
The spore thing is nonsense, people always mention that and then recommend to get an emerald crab, completely glossing over the fact that emerald crabs have to pop the bubbles to eat them. The real problem is that if you pop it, if any little piece of it gets loose, it will grow into a new bubble wherever it lands.

I forgot you had a dottyback, that makes much more sense in terms of killing the hermit.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spore thing is nonsense, people always mention that and then recommend to get an emerald crab, completely glossing over the fact that emerald crabs have to pop the bubbles to eat them. The real problem is that if you pop it, if any little piece of it gets loose, it will grow into a new bubble wherever it lands.

I forgot you had a dottyback, that makes much more sense in terms of killing the hermit.
Would it be better to (after a water change) remove the rock and submerge it in the bucket, and then scrub all of it off? That way it would in the bucket of tank water, so the pieces don’t grow new ones in the DT. The palys would be mad, but at least it would get rid of the bubbles.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bubble algae is plucked off rather easy
If you have a lfs nearby that has emerald crabs. Grab a female. if they will let you check the gender.

The female claws keep small. They are less likely to eat anything other than algae. Male emeralds get a very large claw as they grow. They eat everything.

Very easy to spot.
Female
female.jpg
Male
male.jpg

you know who would eat them. So I can't have.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is plucked off rather easy
If you have a lfs nearby that has emerald crabs. Grab a female. if they will let you check the gender.

The female claws keep small. They are less likely to eat anything other than algae. Male emeralds get a very large claw as they grow. They eat everything.

Very easy to spot.
Female
female.jpg
Male
male.jpg

you know who would eat them. So I can't have.
Sounds good. Does manually removing also work?

FD136CDF-8A1E-441D-81B3-DD8562F85A43.jpeg
D4C5A501-5FCE-4C4E-A98E-D19B0B68C592.jpeg

Back