James’s 29g Nano Build

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Phosphates look to be between 0ppm-0.25ppm, which is pretty much where they were like a week ago? Nitrate says it’s at 0ppm, but I’m guessing it’s more around 0.10.

Calcium is at 410.
I bet nitrate is actually higher, but skewed due to the uptake by the algae.

For the bubble algae, I had great success on a buddies tank (32 biocube) by taking the rocks out one by one, popping all of the algae off when in a bucket of old SW from a water change. We scrubbed the rocks (avoiding the corals) with a stiff toothbrush and then misted some straight hydrogen peroxide on the rocks (again, avoiding the corals). From there we rinsed (swished the rocks) in more old SW and placed back in the tank. Been a year and he does not have anymore bubble algae. Also no cycle, as doing that does not hurt the majority of the bacteria.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For the bubble algae, I had great success on a buddies tank (32 biocube) by taking the rocks out one by one, popping all of the algae off when in a bucket of old SW from a water change. We scrubbed the rocks (avoiding the corals) with a stiff toothbrush and then misted some straight hydrogen peroxide on the rocks (again, avoiding the corals). From there we rinsed (swished the rocks) in more old SW and placed back in the tank. Been a year and he does not have anymore bubble algae. Also no cycle, as doing that does not hurt the majority of the bacteria.
Sounds good! I’ll try that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! I’ll try that.
If you are short on water, just do a few rocks every few days. I would start with the ones with a ton on it. Even doing this would work and more than likely be a little more water friendly.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are short on water, just do a few rocks every few days. I would start with the ones with a ton on it. Even doing this would work and more than likely be a little more water friendly.
That is actually the only rock that has GBA on it - easier for me!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is actually the only rock that has GBA on it - easier for me!
Awesome. Should be a piece of cake then. Just do not skip the peroxide step. A little goes a long way. Once scrubbed, you will see the rock bubble a little for a few minutes. Typically 5 minutes of it sitting out is fine and will not hurt the corals. If you have palys/zoas on the rock, be sure to wear some eye protection. They may squirt a little when they retract out of water. Better to be safe.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how's the Digi looking today?
It’s only Tuesday… ;Smug;Troll;Hilarious;)

Just kidding, I’ll get a picture of it tomorrow morning, when the whites come on. I have practice tonight, so I can’t get any pics right now.

Polyp extension is lacking to say the least. Not “fluffy” if you will, just sort of half out. Maybe too much flow?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just kidding, I’ll get a picture of it tomorrow morning, when the whites come on. I have practice tonight, so I can’t get any pics right now.

Polyp extension is lacking to say the least. Not “fluffy” if you will, just sort of half out. Maybe too much flow?
I think once you get that light the digi will appreciate you. I didn’t get any of these notifications !

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tuesday yes :) Was just wondering if there had been an improvement. I’ve been thinking though. I forgot you were getting a new light. Perhaps it would be better to leave it where it is on the rack until you get that light set up and dialed in.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday yes :) Was just wondering if there had been an improvement. I’ve been thinking though. I forgot you were getting a new light. Perhaps it would be better to leave it where it is on the rack until you get that light set up and dialed in.
Will do. I’ve estimated I should get it sometime next week? If they did manage to get it out to port in the past couple of days.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splaaaaaaaam ! The blasto opened up nicely and the corals are adjusting nicely to the new par !
39B494D7-18EA-4AD7-8BFE-BCB19B2424BF.jpeg
E7283893-174B-45E2-8CF0-47CE9A99B22F.jpeg
8509E53C-BA3C-4BBA-BB75-8B3C6BDD855D.jpeg
982AB0F3-64E7-43B1-AB58-F18B38A8B8B7.jpeg
BC61843D-26DD-4CBD-939B-62636ADD55B1.jpeg
FEA8704C-0BC1-47F6-9824-A616FFB7D98F.jpeg
Gorgeous! What camera are you using?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been messing with the flash light too much. My bta has been on the move lately. He is circling his rock.
‘Opening up nicely’, this lobo says ‘hold my drink!’

(blasto looks great!)

Beautiful dragonsoul back there.

fltohi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew about these guys:

Were they the ones that hosted it?
Yes!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is, in my opinion, the best way to deal with bubble algae and how I (mostly) got rid of it in my current system. I still see a big bubble pop up now and then between some zoa polyps, but a single big bubble detaches pretty easy. Of the "nuisance" algae, It think it's one of the easiest to manage.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get to cleaning off that paly rock today, but I might not have time.

The torch is still in the process of splitting. *heavily sighs* It looked so pretty when its tentacles were outstretched. I get that it's completely normal, but it still kinda sucks.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get to cleaning off that paly rock today, but I might not have time.

The torch is still in the process of splitting. *heavily sighs* It looked so pretty when its tentacles were outstretched. I get that it's completely normal, but it still kinda sucks.
IME, torches and really all LPS that are branching and split to form new heads don’t really retract their tentacles for extended periods of time. Duncans for example will retract for a few days when they pop out a new head sometimes, but Euphyllia and things like candycanes can take sometimes months to fully split (they have to grow new skeleton) and in general have normal polyp extension during the split. The torch I have now is splitting and the polyp extension is normal. I think you might have a water quality issue you’re overlooking, and its probably your Alk. I can’t remember if you got a test kit for it, but if you’re just doing water changes you’re alk likely isn’t stable. Most LPS will do just fine with slight alkalinity fluctuations, but torches are finicky and can be pouty, and I’m just venturing a guess that that’s the issue. But it’s an easy fix. But again, IME, torches don’t retract their polyps as they split.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back