James’s 29g Nano Build

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly feel like my tank is too small for a fully extended torch they have long sweepers
Your build badge is gone!!WHY?

Hmm torches do have nasty long sweepers, except I think aussie and malaysia torches? BUT I wonder if aussie torches are more bulky than indo, and indo just have super long tentacles?

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your build badge is gone!!WHY?

Hmm torches do have nasty long sweepers, except I think aussie and malaysia torches? BUT I wonder if aussie torches are more bulky than indo, and indo just have super long tentacles?
That was weird ! I never took that off.

yes Aussie torches look like Pompoms to me small compacted and indo torches look like a mop lol

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was weird ! I never took that off.

yes Aussie torches look like Pompoms to me small compacted and indo torches look like a mop lol
If you place it strategically, you can direct the sweepers with your flow so that they don’t sting anything. Your tank is plenty big for a torch!

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you place it strategically, you can direct the sweepers with your flow so that they don’t sting anything. Your tank is plenty big for a torch!
I recently just purchased a gold hammer , candy cane, Duncan corals there pretty much gonna be separated!

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the PSAT. I think I did pretty good, but I won’t know until my score comes in. Going to go run now, as I have a 5K on Friday.

Here are some coral pics to tide you over :D
4A1B530B-851B-49DB-AE24-F6DF19B61F13.jpeg
12DDC019-BCEC-44EF-A524-0DED84C0746E.jpeg
62859740-3F10-4249-9C52-0E47C05E901B.jpeg

Attachments

• 312FD8B1-3F5F-41BD-BB43-F0BAED7BAD04.jpeg
    312FD8B1-3F5F-41BD-BB43-F0BAED7BAD04.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think james gets to test his lights today either.

I am debating on raising mine a couple more inches.
Actually opposite for me - I need to lower mine, which means completely taking the bracket/light off the rim. :rolleyes: ;Facepalm

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Soren shared a LFS an hour drive from me. The guy looks like he actually "cares" about the hobby. He has some nice torches in. I wonder when i will get to go visit there.
The good ones are usually a good drive away

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Soren shared a LFS an hour drive from me. The guy looks like he actually "cares" about the hobby. He has some nice torches in. I wonder when i will get to go visit there.
It's not a huge shop, and Charlie will talk as much as you let him (likely more than you want, and recently a lot about a failed partnership where he got the short end...), but he seems very knowledgeable and helpful with information as well. Just ask questions to keep the conversation directed. Prices are not cheap but reasonable compared to online stores.

If you wanted to visit the shop this Saturday, maybe we could meet there... no obligations, just suggestions! ;) I'll catch up in our PM.

The good ones are usually a good drive away
I may be fortunate to have two good ones within 50 miles, though I have not had the chance to visit my LFS to the west yet (about 1.2 hours drive from home), only heard really good things from a friend.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not a huge shop, and Charlie will talk as much as you let him (likely more than you want, and recently a lot about a failed partnership where he got the short end...), but he seems very knowledgeable and helpful with information as well. Just ask questions to keep the conversation directed. Prices are not cheap but reasonable compared to online stores.

If you wanted to visit the shop this Saturday, maybe we could meet there... no obligations, just suggestions! ;) I'll catch up in our PM.
I am very curious on his price tags for sure. I am a bit sick of high end vendor pricing for common corals.
And above that your looking at more light spilling out the tank
Lights are such a headache :(
I was thinking of getting a diffuser to reduce hot spots. BUT, it also reduces par levels by 10-30% unless I misunderstood brs.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very curious on his price tags for sure. I am a bit sick of high end vendor pricing for common corals.
I am not very familiar yet with coral prices and do not remember coral prices at Aquarium Obsessions since I was not shopping for corals yet, but I think most compare to reasonable online prices. I think the torches were around $100-$150 for those at 8-10", but I don't remember for sure.
I could call (or you could, of course) to verify prices and availability if you wanted to know for sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back