john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the app is called "Aquarium Note". Go to color and be prepared to take a pic of your test kit up against the color chart. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

I definitely was trying to avoid negativity in that thread, thanks for noticing. I'm still using the same wood stone for the past 3 months. I changed it out after mu first 3 weeks of bubbling because I wasn't seeing as many bubbles in my display. In actuality it did not need to be changed. The bubbles were less visible because the water was much cleaner.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the app is called "Aquarium Note". Go to color and be prepared to take a pic of your test kit up against the color chart. Let me know if you have any difficulties.

I definitely was trying to avoid negativity in that thread, thanks for noticing. I'm still using the same wood stone for the past 3 months. I changed it out after mu first 3 weeks of bubbling because I wasn't seeing as many bubbles in my display. In actuality it did not need to be changed. The bubbles were less visible because the water was much cleaner.

Thanks once again. I'll try and find that today. That's good news, I contacted Cruz and he recommended I use the Sander wood block in the uk. ( amazing really cause I had one lying around ) [emoji1360][emoji1360] will be bubbling tonight on a manual timer switch I think. [emoji108]

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks once again. I'll try and find that today. That's good news, I contacted Cruz and he recommended I use the Sander wood block in the uk. ( amazing really cause I had one lying around ) [emoji1360][emoji1360] will be bubbling tonight on a manual timer switch I think. [emoji108]
cruz is very helphul and a great guy not to mention and endless source of reefing knowledge

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooo found an amazing gold torch coral at ultra aquatics near Wrexham ( uk ). Couldn't resist. Picture really doesn't do it justice but here it is anyway.

IMG_6957.JPG

Water tests have been regular and I'm using ally if alkalinity and a bit of calcium so time to set up the dosing pump tomorrow hopefully.

Will be posting all about it hopefully help if anyone else has one the same.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHANGES !!!

First of all my nitrates have gone from 5 to 3 without anything being dosed. Not sure if this is the bacteria starting to colonise the marine pure media or other surface area in the tank ( rock, sand, etc ).

Biggest change is in the shape of some added work space ... my old reefer 170 cabinet was almost a perfect fit into the gap next to my 525xl. Quick little adjustment from the on site joiner and it's perfect.

IMG_7099.JPG

Second big change is the addition of the dosing pump. [emoji1360] not the easiest thing to set up in the world I'll be honest. Build quality is amazing and it looks great but took a good hour and half to sort out the software on my mac. ( presume it's easier if using windows )

IMG_7081.JPG

Still not worked out exactly how much of each element I'm using per day so not actually set up the " dosing " function on the unit.
However I have utilised the temp sensor and also the included ATO system. Previously my 13 litre Red Sea top off reservoir was only lasting 2 and a bit days. Now I have the kore 5th ATO connected to a 25l jerry can which keeps the Red Sea reservoir constantly full. So all in I have a RO reservoir of 38 litres which I'm happy with for now.

IMG_7083.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

The way the optical sensor is connected is not a permanent fix however it will do for tonight. The pipe is also not perfect but it works and isn't causing any syphon / back syphon issues so thumbs up !

My only criticism of the included ATO os that the tube is not very long and the cable connecting the optical sensor to the dosing unit is not really long enough either. Slightly frustrating but happy to make do :).

All in all this is a brill unit and I think I have my money's worth without even using the main feature of this unit. Please ask if you have any questions on the unit and I'll be happy to help how I can.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really all coming together for you nicely! I saw a drop in nitrates around the 6 month mark for my marinepure brick. I don't think it should've taken that long, but it's great now. I tossed the brick in the sump and never touched it. One day I decided to dunk it in a bucket of saltwater rather vigorously 20 times or so to clear out the pore networks. Since then, I have doubled my feeding to keep nitrates above 2.5. I plan on dunking it in a bucket every month or so.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really all coming together for you nicely! I saw a drop in nitrates around the 6 month mark for my marinepure brick. I don't think it should've taken that long, but it's great now. I tossed the brick in the sump and never touched it. One day I decided to dunk it in a bucket of saltwater rather vigorously 20 times or so to clear out the pore networks. Since then, I have doubled my feeding to keep nitrates above 2.5. I plan on dunking it in a bucket every month or so.

Yeah starting to get there :) got a big project planned with plumbing to hopefully fully automate water changes and RO top off through 2 walls and into the garage [emoji85] why do I do this to myself [emoji23]

I was wondering how people clean them. I have some in the drain section of the sump behind the filter socks and was thinking they might be trapping detritus in the future. Might not need the reefer top up soon so will wait till I pull that out and kick it across my driveway. How's your tank going ?

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is ok. I just hooked up a doser and haven't really changed anything else/ It's still newish, hitting it's 9 month mark on Friday. I'm also a relatively new reefer, so this tank has taught me so much more than my first one. Isn't it fun when you have a light bulb moment and learn something new? That's what's so intiguing about this hobby, is that every day brings a new challenge and a celebration when said challenge is overcome. I'm starting up a separate frag system right now, so there is never a dull moment or a penny to spare! :eek::p:D:)

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing speaks louder than a picture. this was taken last weekend.
15965162_10155713286200031_2028081661437601228_n.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good mate. Yeah defo never a penny to spare haha. Water mixing station is next on my list. Lots of plumbing which I'm not very good at so extra cost of tradesman. Btw. Struggling to get the optical sensor to stay put at the to of the tank with double sided sticky foam pad ( see picture in previous post ) anyone got a suggestion how else to mount it ?

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help !
I made up the Red Sea reef foundation powders last night using 30 degrees RO water. ( advice from Red Sea ) I had been told to filter the reef foundation b through kitchen roll to get rid of the slight precipitate in the solution.
This worked great and the solution is clear ...
IMG_7103.JPG

First question is will this effect the strength of the solution ? I was told not by Kevin from Red Sea but I'm struggling to see how it doesn't effect it.

Secondly reef foundation a and c have also separated slightly in the containers over night. Do I need to filter these solutions as well. If anyone knows anyone on here that works for Red Sea please send this on to them.

IMG_7104.JPG

Thanks in advance

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. My experience is with aquaforest and Kent products. Soon to be reefgrow... sorry my friend

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea. My experience is with aquaforest and Kent products. Soon to be reefgrow... sorry my friend

No worries, I did consider aqua forest but there customer service is awful. Seen so many posts and questions go unanswered on facebook and reef forums. Also based on a lot of reading it seems they have some inconsistencies within their products, especially the salt.

Will wait to here from Red Sea but won't be using these solutions if they have to be stirred constantly or the concentration is effected be filtering.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries, I did consider aqua forest but there customer service is awful. Seen so many posts and questions go unanswered on facebook and reef forums. Also based on a lot of reading it seems they have some inconsistencies within their products, especially the salt.

Will wait to here from Red Sea but won't be using these solutions if they have to be stirred constantly or the concentration is effected be filtering.
Can you get ESV B-ionic over there? It has a good track record. My only connection over there is Aaron from aaron's aquarium. He's in the UK and very knowledgeable. Do you do facebook? We communicate over there.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get ESV B-ionic over there? It has a good track record. My only connection over there is Aaron from aaron's aquarium. He's in the UK and very knowledgeable. Do you do facebook? We communicate over there.

I will try and find him on facebook. Do you think he is the best person to ask about the best balling solutions in the U.K. Haven't heard of that so presume not.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow his youtube channel and we communicate on facebook sometimes. I agree with how he runs his reef with lots of ceramic media, alk in the 7s, and a minimalist scape. I think he could help you because I have seen him tour the LFS in the UK. Hopefully this will help!

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow his youtube channel and we communicate on facebook sometimes. I agree with how he runs his reef with lots of ceramic media, alk in the 7s, and a minimalist scape. I think he could help you because I have seen him tour the LFS in the UK. Hopefully this will help!

Thanks again. Have dropped him a message.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Params are getting there now. Been slowly raising the levels to the Red Sea recommended levels over the last few days. For some reason the magnesium took off last night even though I only dosed the amount needed to take it up to 1360. Strange !

Today's results :

Kh - 10.4
Cal - 410
Mag - 1400
Nh4 - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 3-5
Po4 - 0
Ph - 8.1

Corals are loving life so can't complain.

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG

IMG_7109.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back