560 Gallon Peninsula Build

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm more of a lurker than poster most of the time but I thought I'd do a build thread for my newest tank. I've kept reef tanks since 2000 and this one will be a mixed reef as well. The main tank will be 96" x 48" 32" and hold approximately 560 gallons. Underneath the tank will be a custom 81" x 24" sump and a 120 gallon refugium. Total water volume should be around 750 gallons. I'm building all of this myself so some parts may take longer than others but I started building the tank last weekend and the wood framing for the stand is being jointed and thickness planed by a friend. The tank will be entirely made out of 1" acrylic with the exception of the 2 overflows which will be made from 3/4".

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've been planning this for a year. I've had the acrylic since February but I hadn't figured out how to do my overflows. The tank will be viewable from all four panes and I really didn't want to have any wires visible in the display. So what I came up with was 2 overflows in the center of the tank that are reminiscent of a castle turret. I built both overflows out of 3/4" black acrylic with 8"x 8" inside dimensions. At the top on the inside is a box just big enough to house two 1" schedule 80 bulkheads and eventually two dursos. From the bulkheads I'll run two 1" drains down two of the corners leaving all of the center dry and open to mount An MP60 on each wall. At the top on the outside the "turret" comes out from the main body 1 1/2" and 4" high with drain slots coming out to over 50" of surface drain for each overflow. And of course the main body has been cut out to connect the turret and the inside drain box.

I got a chance tonight to work on it again so I put the last of the 4 sides on.

Last edited:

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, following this for sure!

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it’s been a bit but I got the wood for the frame of the stand back and an opportunity to cut it all to length. I mortised and tenoned all of the joints together. The four outside corners will bolt together keeping the stand modular and easy to move.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all goes well I will get the top on today with the help of my friend Eric and then the bottom some time next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the top on and the bottom prepped to be put on tomorrow. I also got some more goodies. The plan is for dual L1 return pumps, a Vertex Ca reactor or possibly two if needed. An M1 pump to supply all the peripheral equipment, reactor, uv etc. And at least one Nyos 300 Quantum skimmer, the sump will be big enough to add a second if needed. I have a 2016 apex though the plan is to run it side by side against a Profilux 4. Whichever is better will stay and the other well maybe I’ll save it to turn my Christmas lights off and on. For the apex side I will be using a DOS, FMM for flow monitoring, leak detection and an ATK. Still torn over lighting, I know I’ll be doing Radion g4s just not sure if I want to run them in conjunction with the new Aquatic Life Hybrid fixtures.

Last edited:

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, going all out on the equipment for your build. Impressed for sure, interested as well in the new aquatic life hybrid fixtures!

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top is on, bottom will be tomorrow or Friday depending on time constraints. Did get a qt set up at home for all new fish. Moving all of the fish from my 300 and 180 into it this weekend. I had a clean system no ich or anything and then I got some algae from a fellow reefer that contaminated my 300 so everyone is going through qt again.

42328444-89D6-403A-927B-4BC174CC2708.jpeg

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a nice qt system. Plenty of room

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that kid a dive mask! He's gonna be the only one able to reach the bottom!

Looks awesome!

I know lol really not looking forward to cleaning this thing. I’ve tried several different magnets lately and haven’t found one I really like yet.
Thank you!

very cool

Thanks!

Oh man, going all out on the equipment for your build. Impressed for sure, interested as well in the new aquatic life hybrid fixtures!

I e had pretty good luck with most of this equipment in the past. I get to play with almost everything out there at some point or another. My biggest concern are the two L1 pumps. When mounted externally they’ve had a 100% failure rate. THese will be mounted internally so I’m not to worried but there’s definitely an issue there and I don’t recommend anyone mount them externally. The Aquatic life fixtures are sleek for sure and I really like the colors t5 bulbs bring out.

That’s a nice qt system. Plenty of room

Originally intended for breeding but I haven’t had time to get that going so it’s going to be nice as a qt for a bit. I’ve got a couple of large Tangs but they’ll be okay for awhile in here.

Thanks!

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the bottom on! Now I need to route it and polish it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I’ll try to get some pics up today. Been super busy with the holidays coming up. Learned a valuable lesson on where not to put hands and fingers that’s slowed me down a bit. Got the bottom routed off, sanded and polished out. Still need to sand and polish the top.

Hazmat312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I’ll try to get some pics up today. Been super busy with the holidays coming up. Learned a valuable lesson on where not to put hands and fingers that’s slowed me down a bit. Got the bottom routed off, sanded and polished out. Still need to sand and polish the top.
Hope you did not lose any fingers!

OP
OP
J

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now for updates. I’ve semi settled on a revised overflow from my original design. Space is a little tight but I think it will work out pretty well. There will be two of these towers, each with two 1” drains and two 1” returns split right at the top I believe into 4. I’m thinking of using the new rfg’s but not 100% on that yet. In any case I’ll be able to get the flow I want out of the return pumps and I’ll be able to use the Vortech pumps in each of the towers.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back