Japan is Sourcing Some Big Juicy Yellow Tangs from Ogasawara

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve been wondering where all the big, vivid yellow tangs have gone the answer is that they’re still in the wild, most of us simply can’t get them since Hawaii shut down collection and exports from their waters. But despite popular belief Zebrasoma flavescens is not endemic to Hawaii and the yellow tang has a…
Source

Continue reading...

Nick Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve been wondering where all the big, vivid yellow tangs have gone the answer is that they’re still in the wild, most of us simply can’t get them since Hawaii shut down collection and exports from their waters. But despite popular belief Zebrasoma flavescens is not endemic to Hawaii and the yellow tang has a…
Source

Continue reading...
No
Source

Continue reading..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Juicy huh? They sound delicious. I will take mine blackened. Make it spicy!
Yum

1664759139451.png

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source

Continue reading...
I've got a big juicy flawless Biota model in my farm. Are people still believing the hype that the "wild" ones are better? Or is that what people want us to think to get the premium price for the guys who've been kidnapped off the reef? lol, At this point, I'd be willing to bet that half of the "wild" ones are farm raised anyway. These boys grow fast! I've had wild ones and the two farm-raised ones I have are indistinguishable since I feed them a reasonable diet.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a big juicy flawless Biota model in my farm. Are people still believing the hype that the "wild" ones are better? Or is that what people want us to think to get the premium price for the guys who've been kidnapped off the reef? lol, At this point, I'd be willing to bet that half of the "wild" ones are farm raised anyway. These boys grow fast! I've had wild ones and the two farm-raised ones I have are indistinguishable since I feed them a reasonable diet.

To be honest hobbyist are ignorant of how a fish matures over time. It goes without saying that we receive fish very young and small so their color usually isn't there. Seems like common sense to me. The bigger issue though is that people want their $14 Yellow Tang and not pay for captive breeding or raising.

For whatever reason they feel that the captive breeder or raisers are jacking the prices up due to them being the only source but that couldn't be further from the truth. Hobbyist have no idea of the herculean effort that goes into bring a captive bred or raised marine fish to market. Healthy one at that. Collecting to rearing to the right food to creating the food, culling, when to ship, and more.

It is something I don't understand about this hobby and we need more education in this area so people understand. This isn't about captive breeders living high on the hog with CEO or wall street pay. It is about setting a reasonable price for both parties to sustain business and bring new IP to the hobbyist.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back