OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been no major changes, but I have been replacing bleached corals, adjusting the layout, cleaning the sump and thinning out the refgium seaweed for daily maintenance. I've also added some fish, which I'll show you again.
F3F1368E-CBC5-4D57-9E35-4A449227E65F.jpeg

B25BBAF5-6301-456D-B3A9-A71EDBA9D05A.jpeg

D6BA136E-6A19-425E-92D2-2187C9340EDC.jpeg

92BB1110-259A-454B-819A-8CB8C523D4D2.jpeg

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One year of the Reef Tank
8EEC9C96-02FF-4351-9672-64540A0555D0.jpeg

E6D3C422-CBF5-4618-884F-6811667EB589.jpeg

1 month: I was troubled by moss. I started with Star polyps. My first SPS was a pink Smooth Cauliflower Coral. I made her head bald, but she is still doing well in the right side of the tank somehow.
96AA99BD-2E0E-4517-BA74-8FDC5ACDADDA.jpeg

3 months: At this time, I put Star polyps on the top of the layout and did some weird things. The moss had settled in and I was studying hard every day looking at the tank and the web.
ED2CE3E0-EB07-4590-A963-41F08E118B26.jpeg

6 months: I found myself adding corals like crazy. The tank was almost full. Looking back, it was a bit of a waste of money as coral was scarce and expensive due to the spread of corona.
90F46171-2D9C-4A36-A788-BFE09B41AC52.jpeg

9 months: I was impressed by the depth of coral breeding, experiencing colour loss and fading. In terms of density, this is probably the best time to get a good balance. At around 10 months I had a bad case of RTN and had to replace a lot of corals.
1354DBBD-1FC9-4359-BB2D-CE01AB2A39CB.jpeg

12 months: now. It's a bit of a crammed tank as beginner's theory goes, but it's been a really great year thanks to my coral tank while I was under house arrest in Corona. I don't have an area available for new additions, so I'll be enjoying growth trimming this year with the goal of reducing bleaching rates.
B3917259-FC89-4E4A-8FB5-0C1336AEF45C.jpeg

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nice write up Mr. Takaki. Thank you! I believe I can see that you did grow up in japan due to your HIGHLY SKILLED aesthetic color combination and your ability to get the most out of a little space. It's really amazing!!! Respect!

And its cool to see how the tank did evolve over one year on a few pics.

Take care.
Greetings from Denmark

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved seeing the journey you just documented. Looking through your progress pictures, it seems like a lot of your LPS, softies and montiporas have done well in your tank, but acropora continue to be tricky.

Out of curiosity, which acros have stuck with you through your reefing journey, and how many colonies would you estimate that you've needed to replace over the past few month? Any thoughts about why they are bleaching or have there been any patterns to the loss?

reeferZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! What a piece of art. Its incredible what you were able to do with the amount of space under the tank. Now inspired to fix the rats nest ,of wiring under my tank :)

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
colours of corals in your tank are just so beautifully harmonious, nothing too showy, crude or clamorous ...

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful tanks.
beautiful home.
beautiful family.

I too am in the design field. (automotive tool design) I think it helps to see 3 dimensionally. I see a lot of aquascapes that are set up only using left to right and up and down ignoring front to back dimensionally. very well thought out on your part.

here's a challenge for your next build. hide all the mechanical things. pumps, overflow/return. :)

thanks for sharing and adding to my watch list.

flaviomakishi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Brasil, and I've been dreaming with a reef tank, and even a proper freshwater aquarium, since 2006. When I moved to Japan, in 2008, I was planning to work, save money and buy some equipment from aquamedic and giesemann, to build my reef tank when it was time to back home, but then came the economic crysis at the time. Since then this dream is on hold, mitigate the desire by watching youtube videos on this subject, but this whole post was very inspiring. Thank you for sharing, congratulations on the achivment, keep going with the good work. Now I think I need to work 5x harder to get what I needed to turn into reallity my imaginary tanks ;Playful (sorry for the english)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nice write up Mr. Takaki. Thank you! I believe I can see that you did grow up in japan due to your HIGHLY SKILLED aesthetic color combination and your ability to get the most out of a little space. It's really amazing!!! Respect!

And its cool to see how the tank did evolve over one year on a few pics.

Take care.
Greetings from Denmark
Thanks bro.
I'd really like to have a bigger space to lay out the tank, but since I have the tank in the loft, a monster tank would be too heavy. The corals are a little down right now, but I'll be patient and wait for them to get back on track.

I love the look of the tanks, the room, the cat, your Daughter and everything else about it. :)
In fact, I have a nine-year-old son and a very beautiful wife who hasn't made an appearance yet! Stay tuned!

I loved seeing the journey you just documented. Looking through your progress pictures, it seems like a lot of your LPS, softies and montiporas have done well in your tank, but acropora continue to be tricky.

Out of curiosity, which acros have stuck with you through your reefing journey, and how many colonies would you estimate that you've needed to replace over the past few month? Any thoughts about why they are bleaching or have there been any patterns to the loss?
Thanks for reading.
You make a good point. It is true that LPS, softies and montiporas are well kept, but acropora is tricky. In my environment, there are some species of acropora that I can keep well and some that are difficult to keep. microclados, humilis and Staghorn I can keep without dying, but tenuis and millepora I often cannot keep for more than 6 months. I also love Cauliflower and birdsnest, they are easy, beautiful in color and grow fast.
I'm not sure why I can't grow Tennis or millepora well, though. If you start with a colony, the back side of the colony often bleaches from the area that doesn't get enough light. It may be a problem with the water quality or light in my tank, but if I grow them from the flag, they may do well.

Wow! What a piece of art. Its incredible what you were able to do with the amount of space under the tank. Now inspired to fix the rats nest ,of wiring under my tank :)
It's so much fun to get creative with the limited space in Japan. It is quite difficult to maintain, but I will try to improve our house more.

colours of corals in your tank are just so beautifully harmonious, nothing too showy, crude or clamorous ...
Actually, something happened in the tank at the beginning of the year (I don't know what) and now the color of the coral is fading. It is slowly recovering, so I'll try to be patient.

beautiful tanks.
beautiful home.
beautiful family.

I too am in the design field. (automotive tool design) I think it helps to see 3 dimensionally. I see a lot of aquascapes that are set up only using left to right and up and down ignoring front to back dimensionally. very well thought out on your part.

here's a challenge for your next build. hide all the mechanical things. pumps, overflow/return. :)

thanks for sharing and adding to my watch list.
Thanks for the three beautiful words!
I used to work in consumer electronics design, but now I'm trying my hand at business design, which is a little bigger framework. Being a designer is a great job that you can be proud to show your kids!
The tricky part is that I also love mechanical design. LOL! Most of the pumps, pipes, controllers, etc. are in cabinets, but I'm also interested in setups that dare to show these things.

I'm from Brasil, and I've been dreaming with a reef tank, and even a proper freshwater aquarium, since 2006. When I moved to Japan, in 2008, I was planning to work, save money and buy some equipment from aquamedic and giesemann, to build my reef tank when it was time to back home, but then came the economic crysis at the time. Since then this dream is on hold, mitigate the desire by watching youtube videos on this subject, but this whole post was very inspiring. Thank you for sharing, congratulations on the achivment, keep going with the good work. Now I think I need to work 5x harder to get what I needed to turn into reallity my imaginary tanks ;Playful (sorry for the english)
Hello! I see that you have been in Japan. I sure hope your dream tank comes true! I also spent a year preparing to start it up. If you get everything in place little by little, the financial blow will be less.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color loss.

Since Acropora went bad, it's been hard to get the color back.
There are bumps on the growing point of the Monti Cap. I think something must have happened to the tank at this point. What happened is a mystery.

The color of acropora is lost due to symptoms such as intense light damage. It's not good. The color loss started in the high spots, so I moved them to the lower spots, but it didn't stop. The polyps don't seem to be coming out well either.
I was wondering if I didn't rinse the pump and flow pipe enough when I cleaned them with citric acid about two weeks ago, or if I cleaned the low floor at the end of the year and it made them sick, or if I added nitrates to try to improve the low nutrient levels. At any rate, I did a water change for two days in a row.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your colonies are wild right? I’ve found that wild caught and maricultured Acropora colonies can be very difficult to keep long term. One day they’re happy, and the next they’re losing color and tissue. That being said, you guys are a lot closer to the harvesting sites than I am in the US, which probably affects mortality rates too. I wonder if you would have better success aquacultured frags. Downside is they take a while to grow into sizeable colonies.

-XENOMORPH-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't ever apologize for being able. to speak 2 languages. It's a great skill. I wish I could.

Abunadeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a reef tank in my loft at home.The preparations started in the summer of 2019 and the seawater was added on January 18, 2020. I'm going to show you the record to date. There is already an aquatic plant tank on the right side.I decided to make a tank full of coral on the left side of this one.

6C49E780-2712-4C0D-BD7D-83CB6902C828.jpeg

FE8FD70C-7EAA-4B9D-AE01-2873B95608C8.jpeg

And it was recently filled with coral.
3A82AB3A-84BF-4EEA-80FB-4EB6D2550BBB.jpeg

E86E0DF4-D4B3-4302-A02D-A1DC9BCFDC01.jpeg

4D9AFDA7-15FD-4D51-B1E0-73068616C03B.jpeg

This is my tank build thread.

where did you get the dead coral skeletons form?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back