OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i also loved to have the big pardarium in the corner of my living room. It was a big triangle with the long side out so it did fit in the corner. The water was 30 cm high and the big window was 100X100 cm, so it was rather big. I did have orchidaceae and other epifytte plants in there as well as a small waterfall and all. It was lots of fun!

I did put in a link in here, so you can see a movie (****** quality) of my tank in youtube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou25Bydyl1A&t=7s

How do you think they made the rocks "flow" on the pics you postet?

I just got an idea........ I think I will use the light in my decor as well..... Imaging that the tank in the left side, where it's gonna be almost empty there won't be so much light, and then in the right side, where I make a floating island, there will be a lot of light... In that way I can really use the length of the tank...? What do you think?

Btw I didn't praise you enough for your salt tanks!!! They looks fantastic. What do you do when the corals really starts to grow? Do you just crack them to make new frags?

Thank you Sir!
Thanks for the video link! I was able to watch the video.
I'm jealous of your really big tank. Some of the corals were unbelievable! My house corals are still all small, but when they get bigger I'm going to keep my favorites and prune them and sell them at auction (so I can get some nice new corals).
By the way, with such a large tank, the fish are happy to be able to swim around freely.
Chelmon rostratus in particular is a fish I want to try.(I've heard they are very difficult to feed, so I'm going to try them when I get a little more skilled. )

There are several ways to make a floating reef.The easiest way is to put transparent feet on the acrylic, but I don't recommend it because you can expect to get calcareous algae in my opinion very quickly. If you use this method, I think it's still better to use feet with rocks from the beginning.

There are two good methods.
The first is to extend the acrylic platform parallel to the glass in the back.This is the method of Swiss hobbyist Dave Notter of floating reef fame.There is a tutorial for this on the web.
It's on the web at https://www.zeewaternieuws.be/2020/06/how-to-make-a-floating-reef-a-tutorial/

The other method is similar, but uses magnets to attach the rock to the back glass.This has the advantage of allowing the rock to be removed from the tank for maintenance, but it also has the disadvantage that the magnet cannot hold a very large rock in place. https://reefbuilders.com/2020/08/04/aquatic-gadget-magnetic-rock-floating-reefscapes/

... Both of these methods would be ingenious for mounting large, heavy rocks, but I think you can create a dynamic layout by dividing it into multiple modules or providing feet in hard-to-see places.

If you're up for the challenge, please make a dedicated thread and share your affirmation For those who follow!

TeotheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment. That's an awesome 2.5 meter tank! This is a dream come true in Japan where housing is so small.

You want ideas, and if I can help you, I'll be happy to comment.However, I'm a newbie, so I'll comment as I see fit.

First of all, I'm just starting out with saltwater so I'm obsessed with corals right now.So I'll start with a coral tank idea.
My tank is more of an orthodox layout, but if I make the next one, I would like to make it more acrobatic.(I don't know how many years away that will be, lol.) For example, I've been seeing a lot of layouts recently that look like they are floating in the air.This seems to be made by using magnets or something to hold the layout to the glass in the back, and I think these are very exciting layouts.The water flow is smooth and looks cool.(The problem is that hermit crabs can't climb on them lol ) This is the layout for people, but this is what it looks like.
29BE5FD1-401A-439D-AEFB-F2B300DBDA97.jpeg

1B56824C-6418-496C-9F58-462857F1CAF1.jpeg

If you want to do seawater, I'd like to see a coral tank with this kind of acrobatic layout in a 2.5m monster tank.

Next, if you want to do fresh water.It is not a pure freshwater tank, but I have been interested in pardariums for years and have been doing a lot of research on them.
So how about a giant pardarium? With an aquaterrarium, you can keep fish by creating an underwater area, and you can also enjoy aquatic plants in this area. Also, I think the variety of plants in the rainforest and the diversity of grasses are very attractive.
My dream is to make a paludarium in the space between the coral tank and the aquatic plant tank.
This is not my tank, but it is a reference image.
0AEC7DF4-2F3B-48C5-B764-BB6C8ACE870A.jpeg

BDCCCDF5-B655-4E8B-AC5E-03A096B47A7B.jpeg

It may be a little out of the point, but I'm commenting as I think.
Is that you my Japanese Brutha?

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Takaki, much appreciated :). I'll go with the acrylic shelves. I have loads of that stuff. If you can feed up a multiband angel fish I wouldn't worry much about a pincet fish! You have to think about your clam(s) if you gonna have a pincet fish tho´They love clams..... :- /

ReeferRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another hobby of mine, the aquatic plant tank.It's called a Nature quarium.

I don't know if I can talk about the aquatic aquarium at Reef 2 Reef, but I've been enjoying the nature aquarium for about 15 years now.
The Nature Aquarium is a style of aquatic plants aquarium started by a Japanese man, Mr. Amano, the founder of ADA, a Japanese aquarium company.He changed the layout of the aquarium from the flower beds in Europe, especially in the Netherlands.It is a genre of freshwater aquarium that reproduces the natural landscape in the aquarium by introducing the concept of Japanese garden, bonsai and wabi-sabi.It's a style that aquarists around the world are now obsessed with.

I have a long career in nature aquariums compared to reef tanks.I was inspired by the style Mr. Amano started and I copied many of his layouts.I was very sad when he passed away.

And my reef tank may be strongly influenced by nature aquariums. Even now that I am crazy about reef tank, I continue to maintain my nature aquarium tank as well.

If the Nature Aquarium philosophy and style can help R2R members in any way, that would be great.If there is anything you would like to know, please feel free to ask me anything.I'm new to coral aquariums but I'm sure I can answer anything about nature aquariums.

194E77CA-0747-4AC3-8167-E294B15A890D.jpeg

A0E423CC-9FFF-4A13-AF1F-DE80EB1DEEA7.jpeg

0B8EFC6C-9779-4A20-B649-9AF34804B606.jpeg

952959EC-B0D2-49D7-97A1-6343BC7EE11C.jpeg

1F7C64AC-C48C-40BD-A6C4-06A59A8B5058.jpeg

Just read all 10 pages of your thread. Your tanks are amazing, everything from the saltwater to freshwater. Super jealous that colony's like that are available to you!

Along with saltwater I also have freshwater tanks. For your nature tank, I see co2 canisters but no filtration for the aquarium. What do you have for filtration? How do you supply your tank with co2? I am currently setting up a new nature tank and would love to know how you have done it!

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Takaki, much appreciated :). I'll go with the acrylic shelves. I have loads of that stuff. If you can feed up a multiband angel fish I wouldn't worry much about a pincet fish! You have to think about your clam(s) if you gonna have a pincet fish tho´They love clams..... :- /
Actually, I lost Purple mask angelfish and Barred Angelfish in succession, Purple for 2 weeks and Barred for only 1 month.
B5B6EBA0-3BD4-4522-8C20-A080403AAA1C.jpeg

I thought Purple was dangerous because she didn't eat any food.But Barred, who used to eat a lot of food, also died....As I said, a beginner can't get greedy.
In a closed environment tank, the death of a living organism is completely the responsibility of the keeper.They had been introduced for at least two weeks, so it doesn't look like they were sick from the beginning of the breeding process.
I wanted to take care of them, but I don't know what I should have done to help them....I'm sorry.

I tried to think about the cause of the problem for the future, but honestly, I don't know what it is because of my limited experience.

1.There are few fish in the smaller tank, so the reefer shrimp were breeding, but I ate them all up in this one month, and food shortage!
2.Purple, which was small and did not feed on artificial food, could not tolerate it and died.
3.Ammonia rises temporarily at the corpse of Purple due to the death lock layout
4.Delicate Barred is addicted to ammonia...I guess that's the way it is, isn't it?

I was shocked because Barred seemed to live a long time, especially with his good feeding.Since there seemed to be no problems with the water quality that can be measured, I don't really know what the truth is, but I'm really sorry for doing this.

The first little Regal is swimming fine, but I'm worried.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read all 10 pages of your thread. Your tanks are amazing, everything from the saltwater to freshwater. Super jealous that colony's like that are available to you!

Along with saltwater I also have freshwater tanks. For your nature tank, I see co2 canisters but no filtration for the aquarium. What do you have for filtration? How do you supply your tank with co2? I am currently setting up a new nature tank and would love to know how you have done it!
Thanks for the comment.
I don't know if I can talk about freshwater tanks in R2R.Here's a quick look at the cabinet for the aquatic tank. I'm a little embarrassed because I'm not as organized as the Leaf Tank.
Here's what the cabinets look like inside.
2C1FE9D7-4DCD-48F7-8664-EBF56CD96D8B.jpeg

Each one has an external filter.The big silver cylinder is the external filtration filter.Three branches from the green cylinder and two go through a solenoid valve timer to the aquatic plant tank.The other one goes to the co2 of the calcium reactor of the coral tank.The RO/DI filter for the coral tank is located at the back of the cabinet on the right side.

D62904B1-811D-4AD2-9A99-DE718CBE404C.jpeg
9744E37B-5DA8-4780-9BC4-474F4DE99174.jpeg

CO2 is added directly to the middle of the filter line.There are various products in the mixer of direct addition, but the effect is not so different in all.

Charlie Denmark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. So sorry to hear about your two little fishes. What do you mean by saying that the Barred is addicted to ammonia??? You, unfortunately, have to expect that you will lose some fishes from time to time, when you introduce them. In my (humble) experience the angles have the best chances if they are about 5 cm when you introduce them to a new system. I feed mine mostly flakes, frosen mysis, dryed norii seaweed and from time to time a clam. Some of the spices needs sea sponges as well. But the first and hardest step is to get them to eat in the tank. You can you brine shrimps, that you breed yourself for this. You have to expect a little nutrient peak when doing this, so mabey more or bigger water changes for a period of time...... Who said it is easy to have delicate fish´.....Lol.

I know it is SO HARD to lose a fish, my favorite died 3 months ago, it was a male emperor angle fish, just about to change for juvenile colors to adult colors..... SO SAD..

You have to try again! Do not lose your heart, but try again.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.. So sorry to hear about your two little fishes. What do you mean by saying that the Barred is addicted to ammonia??? You, unfortunately, have to expect that you will lose some fishes from time to time, when you introduce them. In my (humble) experience the angles have the best chances if they are about 5 cm when you introduce them to a new system. I feed mine mostly flakes, frosen mysis, dryed norii seaweed and from time to time a clam. Some of the spices needs sea sponges as well. But the first and hardest step is to get them to eat in the tank. You can you brine shrimps, that you breed yourself for this. You have to expect a little nutrient peak when doing this, so mabey more or bigger water changes for a period of time...... Who said it is easy to have delicate fish´.....Lol.

I know it is SO HARD to lose a fish, my favorite died 3 months ago, it was a male emperor angle fish, just about to change for juvenile colors to adult colors..... SO SAD..

You have to try again! Do not lose your heart, but try again.
Thank you for your concern.
When I said that the Barred is addicted to ammonia, I meant that the Barred also died because of the temporary deterioration of water quality due to the death of the purple.I don't know what the real cause was.

One of the other possible causes (if they were feeding well), a reefer I know also said that cyanide and other poisons during capture could be the cause.In Manila and Indonesia, cyanide and other poisons should have been banned, but he said there was still a possibility that they were still around.I do not know the truth.

I have heard that the size of new angelfish is about 5 cm and they are strong and likely to eat food.This time they are the same size fish, but it is a pity.

Letting a fish die is a very painful experience and depressing.I would like to try again when Regal, which I put in at the same time, gets used to the tank and settles down.

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a four-day weekend in Japan, so I did some fine tuning of the layout.
It's an adjustment that only I know how to make, lol.

I moved the cauliflower coral in the lower right corner that was cured by the strong light failure to peel its head off to one level up.
While doing so, I adjusted the detailed layout.

I took apart partially bleached corals and laid out corals that were similar in color apart.
I was able to move all the frags in the right side to the left side and secure a space next to the whisker coral.

If I work hard, l can put one or two more in the tank. When I wrote that, I felt like I could go three or four more. The great man said that if you believe, you can do anything you want. Course I believe.

A942AB5D-A502-4E89-9A13-5CDC95ECC249.jpeg

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks NICE Takaki!!! Wow, and i love your composition of the colors and hard vs soft corals. Looks vibrant and neat ;-) Thank you for sharing a video.
Thank you. I recently sent a water quality test to Germany for trace elements, so I'll post the results when I get them, so watch for them!

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned this in the Which room do you keep your tanks? thread, so I thought I'd show you a bit of the house here as well.I have the tanks in the loft next to the living room.

Now.
013C1531-7B79-4263-8C14-E1E1EEC91EFE.jpeg

42D73184-D751-43B5-957C-03A687A8B3F5.jpeg

A photo of the new construction two years ago.When I hadn't yet started up the tank.
A8746C92-363A-43CC-8236-E7E56FC7CD17.jpeg

2454DCFD-E0CC-4D35-8456-B129FFF33E1B.jpeg

96359B02-E740-4908-807D-76C3D8C90918.jpeg

02C60543-AFB6-4B9B-A3F9-6C8F9E602BA9.jpeg

And this is our bathroom.
09AA9DBB-4A1C-447B-B683-BAF88F2AA706.jpeg

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the minimalist vibes, I know where I’d be spending most my time! ;)

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a reef tank in my loft at home.The preparations started in the summer of 2019 and the seawater was added on January 18, 2020. I'm going to show you the record to date. There is already an aquatic plant tank on the right side.I decided to make a tank full of coral on the left side of this one.

6C49E780-2712-4C0D-BD7D-83CB6902C828.jpeg

FE8FD70C-7EAA-4B9D-AE01-2873B95608C8.jpeg

And it was recently filled with coral.
3A82AB3A-84BF-4EEA-80FB-4EB6D2550BBB.jpeg

E86E0DF4-D4B3-4302-A02D-A1DC9BCFDC01.jpeg

This is my tank build thread.
What have you that double tank idea for both sides? That’s kinda cool

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful tank, corals and your home is gorgeous!!! :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back