Japanese style reef tank

McReeferNista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a reef tank in my loft at home.The preparations started in the summer of 2019 and the seawater was added on January 18, 2020. I'm going to show you the record to date. There is already an aquatic plant tank on the right side.I decided to make a tank full of coral on the left side of this one.

6C49E780-2712-4C0D-BD7D-83CB6902C828.jpeg

FE8FD70C-7EAA-4B9D-AE01-2873B95608C8.jpeg

And it was recently filled with coral.
3A82AB3A-84BF-4EEA-80FB-4EB6D2550BBB.jpeg

E86E0DF4-D4B3-4302-A02D-A1DC9BCFDC01.jpeg

4D9AFDA7-15FD-4D51-B1E0-73068616C03B.jpeg

This is my tank build thread.
STUNNING ALL THE WAY AROUND. f

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your colonies are wild right? I’ve found that wild caught and maricultured Acropora colonies can be very difficult to keep long term. One day they’re happy, and the next they’re losing color and tissue. That being said, you guys are a lot closer to the harvesting sites than I am in the US, which probably affects mortality rates too. I wonder if you would have better success aquacultured frags. Downside is they take a while to grow into sizeable colonies.
Yes, it is. It is quite difficult to maintain a wild colony for a long time. Unfortunately, flag culture is still not widespread in Japan. Most of the corals that are sold are either wild colonies or cultured colonies. Both of them are grown in the ocean, and I find it more difficult to keep them compared to frags grown in an aquarium. Recently, we have learned how to increase the survival rate of the colonies by breaking them down into pieces. I will continue to study so that I can farm them as vigorously as possible.

Very nice following along for the ride!
Thanks!

where did you get the dead coral skeletons form?

I have collected coral skeletons for home decoration at auctions and other places.

Amazing colors! Following along.
Thank you so much !

Thanks!

STUNNING ALL THE WAY AROUND. f
Thank you. I'll keep working on it.

Updates? Everything going well?
Thank you! Will update!

OP
OP
Takaki1980

Takaki1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't written an article for a little while, so I'll update it.

I cleaned out my tank at the end of last year, and it started to go bad around January. I predicted that when I cleaned the pipes, I didn't rinse them well enough and some of the chemicals got into the tank, which caused a drastic change in the bio-layer. At the worst time, cyanobacteria and dinos were spreading to the sand in the low bed even though I cleaned the tank every day. As a countermeasure, I implemented the following

- Coral Snow + ZEObak added daily
- Add ZEOzym+Cyano clean once every two days
- Added live rock and live sands
- Addition of zooplankton
- Add nutrient additive

The plan is to restore the balance of the broken bio-layer while expecting the effect of the KZ additive. Since the effect is slow, the acropora that lost its color gradually bred dinos and we lost many corals. However, after about three months, the cyanos and dinos were almost completely gone. I'm not sure which of the several measures I took at the same time worked, but my impression is that the introduction of zooplankton was the most visible factor in reducing the number of dinos.

Now that the cyanobacteria in the low beds and layout are gone, things are back to normal. The condition and color of the corals are gradually recovering.

No pictures is boring, so I'll upload some coral pictures.
CD103762-34BF-413B-98BC-54A98A949A8C.jpeg
A77A8F1E-2A2E-45DC-A087-3E59EA6A7498.jpeg

4EA141F9-298E-4EE0-B8C8-CEA678C35F3F.jpeg
12714243-770A-42D0-B486-4B5846C72F1F.jpeg

QTI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tanks and I really appreciate your sharing of successes and difficulties. Thank you! Would be eagerly waiting for your updates.

JUNICHI YAMASAKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cleaned out my tank at the end of last year, and it started to go bad around January. I predicted that when I cleaned the pipes, I didn't rinse them well enough and some of the chemicals got into the tank, which caused a drastic change in the bio-layer. At the worst time, cyanobacteria and dinos were spreading to the sand in the low bed even though I cleaned the tank every day. As a countermeasure, I implemented the following

- Add nutrient additive

The plan is to restore the balance of the broken bio-layer while expecting the effect of the KZ additive. Since the effect is slow, the acropora that lost its color gradually bred dinos and we lost many corals. However, after about three months, the cyanos and dinos were almost completely gone. I'm not sure which of the several measures I took at the same time worked, but my impression is that the introduction of zooplankton was the most visible factor in reducing the number of dinos.

Now that the cyanobacteria in the low beds and layout are gone, things are back to normal. The condition and color of the corals are gradually recovering.

綺麗ですね!日本人と初めてR2Rでお会いしました!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow hey everyone, this year for my holiday gift I received my build thread badge. Been trying to get that on for a year now n here it is, Awesome . Happy Holidays to all reefers and to all a great night. I know its daytime.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Add nutrient additive

Beautiful pictures! I'm very glad to know that your tanks recovered from the combined cyano-dinos attack.
I'm also suffering from that combination. You say that the most effective treatment was zooplankton. What kind of zoo and for how long?

Last edited:

armandoarturo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Add nutrient additive

Amazing aquarium and stuning corals. I would love to know what species or coral names are you keeping in there!!

armandoarturo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

- Add nutrient additive

Amazing aquarium and stuning corals. I would love to know what species or coral names are you keeping in there!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back