Japanese Swallowtail Spotbreast Angelfish switching sex? (Genicanthus melanospilos)

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family, calling all you Japanese angel fish experts or experienced! I think my one of my angelfish is changing to a male. July of 2020 i picked up two female Spotbreast Angels... I wanted a male but i find they are really hard to come by locally. Fast forward to Dec and my LFS had a male....and I picked up immediately. All was well until a month and half ago where my larger female turned super aggressive toward my male to the point where I had to put him in my fuge.

The last couple of days i noticed the larger "Female" is changing color...is it changing sex? If so how long does that normally takes? Pix and time stamps below.

July 2020 Females
1614820390062.png
1614820580725.png

Here is the male added 12/2020

1614820667634.png

Larger "Female" color change 03/01/2021

1614820730024.png

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the more dominant one will get the other to revert back to Female. How big are your angels and how long have you had your original female? How big’s the tank?

Hope they’re doing well for you would you say they’re hardy fish? xD sorry to bombard you with questions but I love em

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the more dominant one will get the other to revert back to Female. How big are your angels and how long have you had your original female? How big’s the tank?

Hope they’re doing well for you would you say they’re hardy fish? xD sorry to bombard you with questions but I love em
Hey if i had to guess maybe 4 inches for the larger female and 3 for the smaller one. The male was bigger than both at nearly 6 inches.

The tank is 305 gallon system. I wouldnt say the are hardy but not extremely difficult either. Just make sure they are feeding.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh ok which diseases have your angels dealt with? Lol sorry for all the questions I’m really interested in these fish.
No worries, ive dealt with ich. Its really the feeding thats a concern. If you can get them to eat...you are mostly out if the woods.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for clarifying. It’s hard getting them to feed? If so any tips?
Hey sorry for the delay... had a bit of a tank emergency. I've always fed my fish frozen foods...specifically Mysis. I don't worry if they don't eat the 1st couple days..but any thing beyond that i worry. Didn't have an issue with this group.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that’s good to know. so you don’t feed any pellets or flake?

What happened to the tank if you don’t mind? :( hope it’s all good now
No never been a fan of flake food or pellets... not knocking them but just not my thing. I would love to do live all the time, however that not realistic. Frozen is the next best thing. As far as the tank.... early Sunday morning (just after midnight)…. I logged into my apex to see the results of the trident midnight test, when I notices a red exclamation mark on one of my EB832's. Long story short my EB832 wasn't powering my dosing pumps or anything plugged into it. I had to jerry rig the system. My dosing pump also died so..... But all is good now, had to purchase another DOS :mad:.

Your favorite Angel Photo bombed the video...lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back