I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7E811044-9404-48C7-8D11-982ADD920BC3.jpeg

1665DE25-5A97-4FFE-BAB5-F0F89CA8F759.jpeg

The scape is a work in progress. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Need to think on it for an hour or so. Need to take a look at what other successful SPS dominant tanks have done for inspiration. Also trying to keep the fish habitat and sleeping/hiding areas in mind. Build for where I’m going, not for right now.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. Why do you say you would go with the glass overflow?
I think because of the space I'm using I have to go with the ghost overflow :/

I like the left side of the aquascape a lot. Interlocked U's creating a winding ravine

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. Why do you say you would go with the glass overflow?
I think because of the space I'm using I have to go with the ghost overflow :/

I like the left side of the aquascape a lot. Interlocked U's creating a winding ravine
More room in the external box, uses bulkheads which are easy to source and replace if one were to go bad, and no box inside the tank itself. One thing I’m hearing is the water level will drain to the bottom lip of the internal box, not the bottom of the teeth. Because the piece that the teeth is cut into is removable to access to the box. So it’s crucial that there’s enough water room in the sump for the water to drain out of the display when the pump is stopped. Right now I’m a little nervous. Trying to do everything I can at the moment to keep the sump as low as possible in water height to account for that much water to leave the display. I should know in a few days how that’s going to go. I did not plumb any check valves into my drains but I do have them if I need them. I just dont want the maintenance headache associated with them.

On a positive not I finalized my aquascape tonight. I’ll be going heavy on the SPS with minimal LPS.

0D6CA478-3F8E-4DD5-9C3E-D2D1FF5A23B6.jpeg

BACFF8CA-97FB-445A-8F74-24EA38E2B516.jpeg

ADA8D1F5-284C-4855-86AD-DD4471CD7A94.jpeg

24B0F84A-79F6-4A7F-AFFA-6B63F9332494.jpeg

I’d like to utilize the island in the front for a clam if possible. Water is going to start going in later tonight yet.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water was pumped into the display until full and then the Iwaki MD-100RLT was turned on. The gate valve at the sump on the primary siphon was wide open. I found out quickly that the 100 is way too powerful. Not only did it trip my battery backup, but my primary drain went into full siphon and then my secondary also went into full siphon with the edrain then acting as a secondary. I powered it off and powered on the Iwaki MD-70RLT and this time the primary went to full siphon, the secondary went to a trickle, and no water went down the edrain. The 70 also didn’t trip my battery backup and uses about 80 watts less power. Eventually I’ll replace the 100 with another 70 and sell the 100. Had a small leak in the back box at the threads but drained the water a bit and gave the nut on the bulkheads 1/4 turn and leak stopped. Going to let it ride overnight to ensure no further leaks. All the piping checked and also has no leaks.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added new baskets to my intakes for the external pumps…

thanks goes to @melev for the tip on where to get these.

E01E70C5-91A9-47C0-B3DC-7EA611180434.jpeg

If anyone else is interested they can be picked up here.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little side tracked tonight and finally got the quick connects from Jeff over at Lifereef to place a DIY CO2 scrubber on my skimmer to see if it makes any difference with my PH levels. Been running around 7.68 to 7.9 daily. Interested to see if this works and how long the media lasts. Not a fan of ever changing media and I don’t like to chase numbers but the curiosity is killing me to know if it’ll make a difference.

13D94176-AD87-4306-B79D-E2F787C6BBC6.jpeg

C2DDD741-CE24-4F6B-8D4A-742DE65B8C62.jpeg

On another note, I need to procure flatworm exit tomorrow. Apparently they hitch hiked in on a snail purchase. From here on out, all fish, inverts, and coral will be spending time in QT. Inverts and coral will find my old biocube 32 home for a few weeks for observation and pest control.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little side tracked tonight and finally got the quick connects from Jeff over at Lifereef to place a DIY CO2 scrubber on my skimmer to see if it makes any difference with my PH levels. Been running around 7.68 to 7.9 daily. Interested to see if this works and how long the media lasts. Not a fan of ever changing media and I don’t like to chase numbers but the curiosity is killing me to know if it’ll make a difference.

13D94176-AD87-4306-B79D-E2F787C6BBC6.jpeg

C2DDD741-CE24-4F6B-8D4A-742DE65B8C62.jpeg

On another note, I need to procure flatworm exit tomorrow. Apparently they hitch hiked in on a snail purchase. From here on out, all fish, inverts, and coral will be spending time in QT. Inverts and coral will find my old biocube 32 home for a few weeks for observation and pest control.
Ack. Not fun.
So you will QT all your inverts now and preemptively treat for flatworms? Or just observe?

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m treating with flatworm exit tonight. The tank has been fallow of fish for over 6 weeks at 80.6 and above temp, so any presence of Ich or velvet should no longer be present in the tank. I had a small yellow and a small sailfin in the frag tank prior to the fallow period and either the sailfin got Ich and gave it to the yellow or it came in on the banded trocus snails I added to deal with the ugly algae stage (added 40 of them), either way the yellow came down with Ich or velvet (I suspect velvet) and died in literally 24 hours. So I pulled the sailfin out and put him in a 55g with copper power and treated at 2.50 copper power for 30 days. I just started cuprisorb last night to bring the copper levels down so I can transfer it back into the frag tank and noticed the infestation of flatworms last night. So I’ll run flatworm exit and carbon and wait until the weekend to move the sailfin back. In the future everything will be QT from now on.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll fire the question now back to you :) What are you doing for fish ?
I really don’t know yet. I have two clowns going in a basket in the frag tank with several bubble tips. I’d like to offload all but one of those bubble tips at some point. I have a yellow that will be holding up in my refugium for a little until I have all my tangs that I want available to put in the tank all at the same time. Right now I’m leaning towards a powder blue and Achilles along with the yellow and a white tail kole. I will also be adding two yellow triangle butterflies. At least two different species of Anthias in groups of three but not sure which species yet, and a green chromis that I already have. I’m looking at a black cap basselet and a flame hawk. Wrasse are pretty much out of the question for me except a cleaner because I am going bare bottom. It’s a work in progress. All I know is I am starting demo on my kitchen remodel next week and my biocube32 is in my kitchen right now so I have to break that down this weekend and move everything over to the new system. The frag tank is also going to house the sailfin I have in QT right now. Thinking of picking up a melanarius wrasse for the frag tank and putting a container of sand there for it to use. Will see if I can find one tonight at my LfS while I’m picking up flatworm exit.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s with great sadness that I report I have broken down my biocube 32 that I’ve been running for 5 years now. A single green chromis went into the new display. My yellow tang is in the refugium for holding until the rest of the tang gang gets here for them all to go in at the same time. Plenty of algae in there for him to graze on. I found 4 bubble tip anemone among the rock work and was able to easily remove their foot with a credit card from the rock. Both the clowns and anemone were moved to a basket that is residing in the frag tank for now. Biocube has to be broken down for my upcoming kitchen remodel that starts demo next week. Tomorrow I’ll drain the tank and remove all the sand and give everything a citric acid bath. Moved 50% of the rocks to a 5g bucket with tank water and a heater and power head to cook for a little. I’d like to keep them for when I set the biocube back up as my invert and coral QT tank but I have a lot of bubble algae so I may end up forgoing and just put in new rock snd restart a new cycle with dr Tim’s. Time will tell.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to order a single apex dimming module for the 3rd Reefbrite XHO blue bar and it finally arrived yesterday. Wired it all up and managed to get it all programmed for now until I can find some time to do some PAR testing and adjust the intensity of the lights. Right now the lights are sitting around 10” off the surface of the water. I still have to mount the Ecotech MP60s… just have a single one running at 80% to give water movement in the tank for now.

242AC263-7292-4CE7-A8BF-57CA74BA208C.jpeg

B4DDB3AA-43E9-4004-8662-EBA5854D20C3.jpeg

Using the left side of the stand to house power supplies and all my apex gear. I added a 1000w UPS to handle any power blips until the whole home generator can kick in so the electronics dont get that jolt. It’s still a work in progress until I get a PM1 module I’m waiting on yet and getting the MP60s hooked up.

0995E31B-93E6-4D3E-A599-BFE63A92C883.jpeg

Attachments

• 53739207-2923-4307-9F58-4F1A3F3BE85C.jpeg
    53739207-2923-4307-9F58-4F1A3F3BE85C.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 38

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to order a single apex dimming module for the 3rd Reefbrite XHO blue bar and it finally arrived yesterday. Wired it all up and managed to get it all programmed for now until I can find some time to do some PAR testing and adjust the intensity of the lights. Right now the lights are sitting around 10” off the surface of the water. I still have to mount the Ecotech MP60s… just have a single one running at 80% to give water movement in the tank for now.

242AC263-7292-4CE7-A8BF-57CA74BA208C.jpeg

B4DDB3AA-43E9-4004-8662-EBA5854D20C3.jpeg

Using the left side of the stand to house power supplies and all my apex gear. I added a 1000w UPS to handle any power blips until the whole home generator can kick in so the electronics dont get that jolt. It’s still a work in progress until I get a PM1 module I’m waiting on yet and getting the MP60s hooked up.

0995E31B-93E6-4D3E-A599-BFE63A92C883.jpeg
Interesting. So u r running a UPS to bridge the gap to when the generator kicks in. So what do you have on the UPS? Just the lights ? Or do you have a UPS on each generator powered circuit?

what kick on delay are you using on your Generac? 15 seconds?

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So u r running a UPS to bridge the gap to when the generator kicks in. So what do you have on the UPS? Just the lights ? Or do you have a UPS on each generator powered circuit?

what kick on delay are you using on your Generac? 15 seconds you

My generator is a whole home generator, so every outlet in the house is covered. I have a UPS on each Energy bar to cover all the electronics to cover the 45 second gap between when the power goes out and the generator kicks on. In my area in the spring and fall when we have thunderstorms roll through it’s not uncommon to have power flicker off and on several times during a storm and that can be rough on the electronics. I have UPS on my TVs, media equipment, computers, etc…

Downfall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing build. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only tinkered with the tank over the last few weeks. My dad flew up from Florida to help me with demoing out my kitchen for my upcoming remodel. I’ve been busy working on redoing the copper piping for the cold and hot water since it was mostly corroded from the original install in the 70s. New shut off valves and new fittings with fresh solder. I knew my training in the Navy would come back to help me over time. I worked in the Pipe shop and did silver brazing and welding on ships and subs piping systems out of Pearl Harbor, HI. It’s also where my love for the ocean began and my introduction into SCUBA first started. Amazing experiences during that time of my life.

6118C9F9-D15E-4497-BDD2-117A44CE4A34.jpeg

AD9D92B2-DE9F-4609-B09F-C3B95717A0D5.jpeg

in the main display I started to get a diatom bloom on the rock work. Traveled 1.5hr to my local fish store and picked up 100 red banded trocus snails. I repurposed my biocube 32 and built a quick stand for it and wet it up for the snails. Added my old Apex classic with an EB8 which I’m dedicating to both the QT tanks. Have the biocube running temp between 80.6 and 81 for 6 weeks to rid of any Ich tormonts from that system. Had I known that Dr Reef sells them for the same price already QT I’d have bought from him to be honest and saved myself the trouble but it’s a learning experience. Used some of the live rock from the tank break down I had soaking in a 5g bucket with a power head for a few weeks in the biocube for the bacteria colony. I’m also adding several pieces of nori to two clips I have in the biocube to feed the snails as there is literally no algae in the tank for them to eat.

My fish room is running out of room! Once I have all my fish in the system I’ll end up breaking the QT down and putting it all in storage.

E098AD80-BCAF-469F-921F-C053E7D3DA28.jpeg

It’s not ideal as QT tanks should be 10+ feet from any tank that’s attached to the main system as to not have any “droplets” transfer from QT to the main display, but I just don’t have that luxury so I’m taking my chances here.

Ive been eyeballing two yellow triangle pyramids and a copperband butterfly for the display. Almost ready to pull the trigger.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back