OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a friend of mine in the hobby hooked me up with a few tester corals. I had a few heads of neon green hammer and green / purple frogspawn but wanted to get a few SPS in the frag system to see how it worked out. After I put them in I used my Apogee MQ510 par meter and measured my frag tank. Ended up having to raise my light intensity up to 80% from 40% as I was only getting 135 par in the center. I’m running closer to 300 to 350 now and around 150 on the outer edge. Sorry for the bad pictures. Haven’t picked up a filter lense yet and I’m just using my iPhone.

5B967FBB-8191-4870-A553-06317A7F4A6E.jpeg

D691722B-F7AA-434C-B430-BD282AEF3183.jpeg

628410B2-C747-4457-8F32-6A6BF7E0C2AE.jpeg

The fish order came in from Ocean Devotion. Everything is fat and eating like a pig. I was worried because when the fedex guy pulled the box off the truck and was carrying it to the front door water was pouring out the corners. Only one bag was leaking but the fish were fine. The one butterfly has developed a bacterial infection in the last week. Bacterial tufts or viral noodles Humble Fish is calling it. You can read more about it here if you like.

I’ve been feeding food soaked in Selcon and Beta Glucan twice daily to help prevent others from coming down with it and help the fish fight it off.

Copperband and lyretail settled in nicely and are eating like pigs as well.

5863E85F-86CD-4791-BBD9-8D1A17D939BF.jpeg

Yesterday I received my order from Dr Reef and everything was drip acclimated and then placed into the display.

3 blue sapphire damsels (one going into the frag tank), 2 black ice clowns, 2 orchid dottybacks, 1 royal gramma, and 1 blue streak cleaner wrasse.

F368C288-2039-4955-BFBB-52728C64DC3F.jpeg

I am using 1dkh or more a day in the system at the moment. The Neptune Systems Trarrived this week so this weekend my plan is to hook it up to the system for monitoring along with my Geos Reef 618 calcium reactor. Im almost out of Bionic 2 part that I’ve been manually testing and dosing with. I have a stock of ARM media for the calcium reactor. I also have a package from Andre to start the Reef Moonshine.

with that being said I’m considering removing my bio blocks from my Refugium that are very low flow and replacing them with Sera Siporax Pond 25mm 50L for biological filtration directly in the sump. Just need to find a way to contain them in the space for proper water movement and cleaning periodically. I may end up attaching a large reactor to my manifold and run them through that back into the sump. Still deciding on what to do here.

my nitrates are still at zero (undetectable) and my last po4 test was at .05 but I need to test again. Trying to keep alk at 8.5 to 9.

I’m also investigating running an air line outside to pull in fresh air to my skimmer to help raise my PH levels which are still only hovering between 7.8 and 8.0. If I do this I’ll need to divert my ATO fill like to the Venturi intake on my skimmer and flush it a few times a day to prevent salt creep from clogging it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second chamber arrived today… but it was shattered by UPS… I was so looking forward to hooking this up.

92581A2E-58F8-4AD3-92EB-231FFBAA6D78.jpeg

Been watching the calcium reactor and So far so good with a few concerns. But waiting for it to reach an alk reading of 9.0 when it will cut off the gas. Right now my PH in the reactor is running at 6.13 and alk is slowly rising each day by like .2 to .5. I’ll be interested to see what PH the reactor maintains once it hits the 9.0 threshold I have it set to maintain.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some modifications to my apex programming for both my AWC and my calcium reactor.

I found yesterday when I got home the my AWC pumps were running and I had not yet added salt to my mixing barrels so they were not shut off like they were supposed too. Taking out salt water and replacing it with fresh water and lowering my salinity. I caught it in time so no catastrophe but I had to go back and review my programming and fix a few things. I believe I sorted it out and the pumps should stay off until I press the button to mix the barrels for 16 hours at which time I add salt. Have to keep an eye on it.

After reviewing my code for the calcium reactor I believe I fixed the low ph issues inside the reactor and they’re hovering around a more manageable level. I’m shooting to maintain my alkalinity level around 9dkh. So far today it’s working with the changes.

2A387604-4D9D-46D9-8281-654F666D891B.jpeg

3B4DA321-6755-4EF0-9D99-26155159C048.jpeg

Picked up a few new coral frags this evening as well. Two hammers, a two headed yellow highlighter, and a 3 headed Aussie Orange. Also an orange Octo Spawn. I’ll post pictures once they open up and are liking better since dipping.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on my kitchen remodel. New cabinets get installed the 27th - 30th of this month. Added a FMM with dual leak detectors to my apex inside my display cabinet that I ran behind the tank and through the wall to the kitchen on the other side. With installing a new hardwood floor in my kitchen I wanted leak detectors behind and under my new refrigerator to detect a leak from the ice maker line if it ever leaks. The apex leak detectors are perfect since they are powered and don’t require me to swap batteries. I’ll pick up two more leak detectors to put on the floor behind the tank to fill the FMM. Ran the water line from the RO system to the 10g holding tank to the location of the fridge and kitchen sink. I’ll be connecting a pressure switch and a motorized ball valve to a break out box on my apex to automate the filing of the RO holding tank when it gets low.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading the whole thing. Nice build. Question though. Why is your home water pressure 100 psi? Maybe that’s a thing with older homes but most everything I’ve seen run with cpvc is at 60 psi after the pressure regulator. Had a friend with a failed regulator and his was running at close to 100psi. He always had failed/failing fittings and leaks.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading the whole thing. Nice build. Question though. Why is your home water pressure 100 psi? Maybe that’s a thing with older homes but most everything I’ve seen run with cpvc is at 60 psi after the pressure regulator. Had a friend with a failed regulator and his was running at close to 100psi. He always had failed/failing fittings and leaks.
Honestly I’m not really sure. I moved into the house in 2003 and my pressure has always been this high. I’ve never had any issues with leaking fittings or pipes.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update… I’m still waiting on my tangs from Dr Reef. I haven’t had an opportunity to call him to find out but I could really use them. I reached out to @tsmaquatics to see if they could source a sm/med Achilles and white tail bristletooth for me but I have a feeling I’ll be waiting until next year with the cold weather coming. I’m really bummed because ulva has spread to my display and now I’m having to manually harvest it once every two weeks as it grows out. My lawnmower blenny won’t touch it unfortunately.

Picked up a few sticks from Greg’s Corals at my local swap over the weekend.

CCF95681-CBF7-493A-963C-8A13697A911C.jpeg

C2AF2AD4-4F14-489E-B503-F1BD58EE4145.jpeg

B00A59CC-B663-4923-A00E-7B4E95AE7E6D.jpeg
E87C7FC4-B01C-4980-90F1-6B6248226758.jpeg
845E4C65-CBEA-4DDC-A544-FADCFD28641F.jpeg
729E08D1-3BA6-4B02-8F7A-5B0C66A59BDB.jpeg
89FB88C5-3A38-4CBD-A50A-AE34ED5A3BF0.jpeg
DE933A51-DB65-4D1E-9BEE-8A637A331984.jpeg

C53A3050-E2EF-41C1-92B5-7405A1CCCF8B.jpeg
6B9F2DFD-059A-468C-A63B-B4181AF20E97.jpeg
B40CDF2C-6EEE-479C-B732-1A4E8B6B9B62.jpeg

Changing my skimmer to pull from outside, moving my CaRx outlet to the beginning of my sump where the water is more turbulent and removing the top of my canopy to allow better air exchange has def helped with raising my PH which wasn’t getting any higher then 7.8 initially.

4F25F21D-9F5A-4DDD-AD05-9EB4BFDBB2DC.jpeg

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked with Mike aka Dr Reef. My white tail and Achilles were postponed due to a bacterial infection and he’s currently treating with antibiotics. If everything goes smoothly and they recover successfully I’ll have them shipped to me for Dec 2nd. I’m the mean time my yellow tang has been in my Refugium that I’ve had for 5 years now. He’s patiently waiting the others so I can add them all at the same time to the display.

I made it to my local fish store tonight and picked up 25 cats eye turbo snails for the display tank but ended up putting 7 of them in the frag tank as well as a bunch of LRS Reef Frenzy and Hikari frozen PE Mysis and Brine along with some frozen calanus.

came home and spent the evening doing around an 80 gallon water change to help bring nitrates down that were hovering around 40+. Testing today showed around 20 since I’ve done a few water changes and vacuumed out the sump of ditritus. I was not using socks and the buildup was pretty bad. Ideally I want the at between 10 to 20 so hoping this water change gets me there. I’ve since gone back to using socks to keep the sump clean but have cups and just ordered floss to use in the cups instead of using socks.

Once the yellow is out of the refugium I want to take it offline temporarily to remove the bricks I placed in there to make it easier to clean but also because I received my box of Siporax and will have this instead in a higher flow area of the sump.

80DBBD47-1E5A-44AE-B6F3-138B5D18B0D8.jpeg

ECCC9628-9799-4C9D-8836-4796F04B8783.jpeg

Alk has been slowly dropping in the tank from 9.7 to around 8.5. I’ve been turning the bubble count up every other day on the CaRx to account for it. Coralline has really taken off fast in the display as well as frag tank. Zoas have been growing fairly quickly and I’m seeing decent growth on my monitpora and acropora in the frag system. I need to send an ICP test off here soon to see how my numbers are. Hopefully before this weekend I’ll send that off so I can get the results and stop doing water changes and start the reef moonshine method.

Additional testing I did today was Hanna Phosphorus ULR which came out to 32 and Milwaukee Po4 resulted in .06

Trident reading Alk at 8.43, Ca 456, and Mg 1257 as of midnight tonight.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fish orders in… one from Ocean Devotion LA for 2 yellow triangle butterflies, one copperband butterfly, and 3 female lyretail Anthias. The only fish that made it in QT so far is the lawnmower blenny. He’s doing well. I also have a fish order from Dr Reef. 3 blue Saffire damsels (2 for the main display and one for the frag tank. Flatworm exit didn’t solve my issue so hoping these guys will). One royal gramma, 2 orchid dottybacks, 1 blue streak cleaner wrasse and two tomato clowns.

I also hooked up an energy monitor in my houses power panel to monitor power usage for my appliances and the tank.

8B92BAB1-8C69-47AF-8BFF-3A268E70B9F5.jpeg

With it hooked up we can see how many amps each of my 20a circuits is pulling

6D5699E9-6E42-41FD-B2C2-EF8F60D007E1.jpeg

I inject this data into my local Hubitat Elevation hub which injects it into Node Red which injects the data into my local install of InfluxDB and I use Grafana to see historical graphs over time of power usage which will show me trends.

90C921A6-BE9E-49CF-9AE4-26CD61EB48FA.jpeg

I intially bought this to monitor my Refrigerator and Outside Air Conditioning unit to know when it needed cleaned to maintain operational efficiency but found it useful to ensure I don’t exceed the 16a on each 20a circuit and alert me if I do.
I run a Hubitat Elevation as well. I use a Kasa smart strip and Hubgraphs to achieve a similar outcome. The cool thing about Hubigraphs is it run on the HE. I love what you are doing!

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Hubitat Elevation as well. I use a Kasa smart strip and Hubgraphs to achieve a similar outcome. The cool thing about Hubigraphs is it run on the HE. I love what you are doing!
I’m actually getting worried that I’ll need a 2nd hub because of the amount of devices I have on it.

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually getting worried that I’ll need a 2nd hub because of the amount of devices I have on it.
Interesting. FYI, I just got a Zooz ZEN17 700 Universal Relay to use as part of a float switch routine to monitor my outboard collection jug for my protein skimmer. I also use an Aqara contact sensor to detect overflows in my stands (my sump is too small plus I tend to overflow my ATO reservoir when I refill it. I had an incident yesterday where I got the announcement of the overflow over my Sonos and ran back to the tank.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. FYI, I just got a Zooz ZEN17 700 Universal Relay to use as part of a float switch routine to monitor my outboard collection jug for my protein skimmer. I also use an Aqara contact sensor to detect overflows in my stands (my sump is too small plus I tend to overflow my ATO reservoir when I refill it. I had an incident yesterday where I got the announcement of the overflow over my Sonos and ran back to the tank.
I thought about using leak sensors in hubitat for things you mentioned but I used the Neptune systems LDK sensors since they’re always powered and I never have to change batteries on them. I have sensors in very tight and not so easy to get to spaces and I did t want to have to worry about getting behind something to swap out batteries. Combined with the use created Neptune Systems app over at hubitat I can still create rules and notifications based on those sensors.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on my tangs from Dr Reef. Been waiting until after the holidays to reach out to him. I’m frustrated a bit that I’ve been waiting this long. When he finally did reach out before Xmas he had an Achilles but over 5” and I told him originally I wanted a small / medium sized fish and it was too large for my yellow. He agreed and said he’d ship by end of Dec ones he had in QT but then saw he shut everything down for Xmas. So I have to call him to find out what’s going on.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tail and Achilles arrived two weeks ago and have settled in nicely. Moved my 5yr old yellow from my Refugium in the basement up to the main display at the same time. No aggression and everyone getting along.

Tank is currently running very low nitrates and phosphates (undetectable nitrates on a red sea pro test) and phosphates running around .03 to .06. Been dosing nitrates for now daily to just keep corals from losing color. So far so good.

Tangs haven’t been helping with the sea lettuce unfortunately and I’ve been having to manually remove it once a week. Started dosing vibrant weekly to help remove the sea lettuce from my system. Once it’s gone I’ll get some fresh clean chaeto for the refugium.

Overall corals are healthy and growing successfully. Some faster then others but no STN or RTN on any of my SPS and colors are good but could be improved. Started dosing with reef moonshine to help with coral health.

OP
OP
I

inetjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s obviously been awhile since I posted… I stopped dosing vibrant right around the same time as the bomb hit the reefing community around its contents. With that being said I can say that between manual removal of the sea lettuce, the tangs hitting it daily, and the addition of 3 pincushion urchins and the vibrant, it’s 95% eradicated from the display and has begun growing in the refugium where I’m now able to harvest it as it grows out. The the tangs have settled in and everyone is getting along without issue. I’ve been feeding once a day frozen mix of LRS reef frenzy, hikari brine and Mysis and reef plankton. I found out through Larry DuPont aka The Shrimp Pimp, that Like everything else LRS foods are going up in price here in April by as much as 25% as his styraphoam supplier has raised their prices. So I have snagged up as much as I could afford at the price now before it goes up from my LFS. On my 3rd ATI ICP test and waiting on my 4th in the mail. I had stopped water changes as they’re not necessary while on the Reef Moonshine however after recently purchasing a Hanna Nitrate HR checker, my nitrates are hovering around 38 currently. I have added GFO to a media reactor that I started up when I started dosing vibrant as my phosphates went from almost zero to .18 almost overnight. Currently they’re hovering around .12 and are coming down slowly. Ideally I’d like to have my nitrates between 10 to 20 and my phosphates between .06 and .1 so will continue to monitor and adjust as time goes on.

Ive managed to snag up quite a few frags in the last few weeks… here’s my current list:

POTO Flamethrower
POTO Kingdom Hearts
POTO Hellblade
POTO Iceberg
POTO Poison Ivey
PC Rainbow
TSA Princess Peach
TSA Fruity Pebbles
TSA Bill Murray
TGC Creamcicle
Paletta Pink Tip
CRT Kick butt Rainbow
TGC Cherry Bomb
BigR Walt Disney
RR Rainbow Loom
RR Vinh
Bubblegum Digitata
Pearlberry
FHC Candy Coat
Grafted Setosa
Green Slimer
JF Robins Egg
JF Enchanted Forest Birdsnest
JF Fox Flame
UC Dippin Dots
Oregon Tort
Cali Tort
ORA Green Psammacora
Blue Staghorn (unknown name)
CC Voodoo Majick
CB Maleficent
WWC All Star
WWC Night Rider
TCK Pikachu
GB Incredible
GB Bali Sunset
RT66 Merlin’s Staff
ARC Fireworks
ARC Master Yoda
Tyree Red Dragon
RMF Candyland
BC Backdraft
BKChem Crème de La crème (not sure if it’s alive)

WWC Jellybean Chalice
GB Sunrise Watermelon Chalice
JF Raja Rampage

RR Tropic Thunder Monti
Sunset Monti
Seasons Greetings Monti

Holy Grail Micromusa

JF Jack O Lantern Lepto

Frogspawn
Orange octospawn
Green Splatter Hammer
Aussie Neon Yellow Hammer

Ultra Rainbow Australophyllia Wilsoni

I’ve also added two Neptune Systems DOS for dosing my reef moonshine dailies. Another automation tool. I will however be bringing my AWC back online to help with reducing my nitrates and phosphates but will be monitoring closely.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back