OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished reading your thread. Looking forward to see more.
Thanks, slow going compared to many, I know. Trying pretty hard this time to take it slow, add stock slowly, make changes slowly. I might finally having the dosing down as I'm getting fairly stable results week to week.

I'll probably wait until Black Friday sales to pick up some additional livestock. They'll live in the 60 cube for observation and go through TTM on their way to the DT or into a hospital tank if anything is observed. I was too aggressive with my QT to start I think. Not giving enough time to settle in and watch for issues before treating for something that may not have even been there.

Immediate concern is getting the overflow quieter lol! I have a couple of power cables draped across the top and I think that's allowing some water to drip straight down into the overflow vs "roll" into it. Definitely a 1st world problem though.

Thanks again for taking a look!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from lunch and the marble wrasse was nowhere to be seen in the acclimation box. Was trying to figure out why he'd go into the sand when he swam by in the DT. Took about 30 minutes, but the gyre flow occasionally pushes the lid of the acclimation box open by about an inch. Good to know for the future.

The wrasses are currently busy establishing their hierarchy. As near as I can tell the marble wrasse, despite being small, is winning. And so far he's not being a jerk about it, just not backing down. I put up a mirror I had on hand specifically for this time and am hoping this starts to distract them for a while and they can all calm down.

No nipping, just displaying so far.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my alk has supposedly been rock steady at 10.42 since the middle of August. In all fairness, I've only tested 4 times. Very suspicious today with the same reading. Broke out my NIB hanna reagent, same lot number. Joy. It read 1ppm lower so essentially still the same. Perhaps I truly did find that sweet spot for my alk. Adjusted my DOS downward just a bit in the hopes of getting alk into the 8-9 range.

Calcium was at 450. Yay!

Magnesium was at 1400. Little high, but I had not dosed Mag since July maybe? It was due despite reading 1300 repeatedly so I dosed it up over a couple of days earlier this week. Calc went up from 420-450 so i do believe mag was needed.

I've ordered Salifert Mag and Alk kits. I currently use Red Sea for Mag and Hanna for Alk. Not entirely trusting the results. As steady as these readings have been, I would think I would be seeing greater growth. Perhaps my light just isn't enough as I've been running the Kessil AP700's at only 25% intensity.

Nitrate has repeatedly read 0 on an API kit.

PO4 has been between .04 and .02. .02 is the latest and I've upped feedings in an attempt to get nitrates up a bit and hopefully PO4 not too much.

Pretty sure my tardiness in raising the light intensity is my issue. Most people with 24" deep tanks tend to be running their's at 75% and up and here I sit at 25% on a 30" deep tank. So, with param's mostly stable, time to start bumping mine up.

Just trying to be patient!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a fun few days. Started on Monday with my wife, daughter and I in Michigan visiting a university my daughter would like to attend. My son calls me and says there are bubbles in the tank and it's making a funny noise. Send him to the garage and, sure enough, there's water on the floor. Apparently the ATO back siphoned from the fuge, filled the ATO brute, and then spilled over. This ATO has been in place for the better part of 6 months without issue. Yay. Like a trooper he grabbed a gallon pitcher and moved the water from the brute and into the fuge and then takes water from the salt barrel and moves it over to top everything off. All is well and I get back Tuesday to look it over.

On Tuesday everything looks great. On to Wednesday. I hear vibration coming from the sump. The return has scooted over to touch the glass. No big deal, I slide it back towards the center of the return section. 2 hours later I hear a pop and water starts gushing out of the cabinet. I open the doors and it looks like it's coming from the underside of the tank so I'm thinking the glass just broke. As I'm scrambling trying to get onto the apex to turn everything off, versus simply unplugging the apex from the wall(brilliant me), the water spray hits a power strip I had mounted behind the tank to power the Stream 3's, tripping a breaker, and killing my computer. For some reason, the return powered off a few seconds later. No idea why, perhaps divine intervention as maybe God was finished laughing at me. Look back in the cabinet and the silicone tubing I used as sound isolation from the return to the rest of the return piping had popped off of the return pump.

So, crisis temporarily averted, I found every pool/beach towel in the house to try and isolate the water to my office. Thankfully that was fairly easy. Since the gyre was still running I finished laying towels down to soak up the water and went back to work(I work from home). Last night, I cut about two inches of the tubing to make it shorter as the length was causing the tubing to bend and push the pump toward the sump wall. I think me moving the pump inward must have loosened the tubing just a little bit, enough for the pressure to eventually win out over the tie wrap. So now, it's got two tie wraps holding it on and /I'm considering some quality stainless adjustable hose clamps.

Thank goodness for tile floors! Everything in the tank looks/seems fine. I melted some acans as I turned up the LED's. The things were on the sand bed and I'm only at 39% on the AP700's. One frag melted completely in a day, another held out longer and I was able to move it into shade where it's slowly recovering, at least I hope it is!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty good day. I had removed the marble wrasse due to aggression in the middle of October. Of course I had to remove a ton of rock to get it out. Once caught, and put in timeout, I placed all the rocks back in. I didn't see the fire fish or one of the zebra gobies the next day, or the next, and so on. About two weeks later the fire fish appeared. Yay! Just today, nearly a full month later, the other zebra goby suddenly appeared! Almost like getting a new fish for free lol!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early Christmas present from my wife is on the way from Diver's Den/LA. Potter's Angel, Royal Gramma, McCosker Flasher all from DD, and a ORA Yellow Watchman Goby. Pretty excited, scheduled to be here Saturday. Potter's Angel and Potter's Wrasse are two of the top fish on my stocking list so when I saw the angel on the preview email I got ready. I'll get the 20L QT tank ready to go tomorrow. Plan is largely to observe and treat only if necessary, then move to the 60 cube for longer observation before making it to the DT.

Side note, the zebra goby disappeared, again. I found it in the sump and it took a good 45 minutes to catch the bugger. A makeshift egg-crate screen is over my toothless internal overflow now :).

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out for delivery! First order from DD or ORA, so pretty excited. I have a QT ready to go for the DD fish and a 5gal bucket with an air pump and heater for the ORA goby. Plan is to drip from the QT to the bucket until equalized and then transfer the goby in with the DD fish.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And arrived. 2 are wrapped up in black plastic so I can't see them. The YWG was darting around his bag, which is not surprising and IMO a good sign. Better than being super lethargic. The Potter's Angel is also visible and is swimming around its bag, again not lethargic so a good sign. Will give 15 min's to temp acclimate and then check salinity before transferring each fish to the QT tank.

Also, if the water from ORA is as low as expected, I'll raise salinity in the bucket over at least 24 hours via a very slow drip from the QT tank.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, the best laid plans. The goby was at 1.022, much higher than expected. The angel was also at 1.022, much lower than expected coming from DD. The wrasse was at 1.024, and the Royal Gramma at 1.025. I set QT salinity to 1.022 since the angel was the most expensive and there were 2 fish right at that level, plus fish supposedly handle drops better than increases. Fingers crossed for the RG and wrasse.

Angel is acting the most "normal" as it is out and about swimming around. The YWG was in full freak mode, but otherwise fine. The wrasse hid immediately, not generally a surprise for them. The Royal Gramma hung out in a corner, bot not on the bottom, then followed the angel around a bit before finding its hiding place. Will feed soon to see if I can draw them all out.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are doing well. Potter's has consistently been swimming around tentatively but actively if that makes sense. RG came out early this afternoon and seemed normal. The wrasse also started getting a little brave and swimming around. The YWG has been visible but hasn't ventured far from its current location. All 4 seemed to eat, the Potter's the most, followed by the RG, then the wrasse, and then the YWG. Lights out for now so hoping everything looks good in the am.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for some pics!

9ec34a386a7cd312539f15954fc14505.jpg

1427f35f964a3e156e293acbed13655b.jpg

8f0060da751f25b6abb69ffa1da2ad6d.jpg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, the joys of siphoning left over food and fish poo in QT several times a day lol!

Fish seem to be doing well. The wrasse is getting more bold, not even hiding when I siphon stuff out anymore. Goby is hard to read as he largely just hangs out and occasionally moves from spot to spot. RG ventures out on occasion as well. Angel is always swimming around and explores the entire tank.

Only the angel seems to be a reluctant eater. He gets very excited when I feed but seems to spit out anything he nibbles at. I've tried OVA, calanus, LRS, frozen mysis, frozen brine, flake, and NLS pellets. I also put in a piece of LR with some nori attached. The angel picks at the LR, which is good to see, but ignores the nori. I'm leaving the nori on for now in the hopes he tries and likes it at some point. It's as pretty as I had hoped for though.

Other fish are eating fine as far as I can tell. The wrasse is the most active but I've seen the RG and goby eat as well. Goby is tiny, tiny, tiny though. Apparently the RG has decided a fake cave structure is "his" and the goby was getting too close. RG picked him and moved him. Seemingly without harm.

No signs of spots or any flashing. Angel swan into powerhead flow a couple of times and scared me, but he doesn't do it consistently, not even daily. None have sensitivity to light. No heavy breathing. No head twitching. All are swimming normally.

Plan is to trade in the marble wrasse Friday and likely move this crew into the 60 cube that afternoon. I'm sure the goby would appreciate some sand and the angel would have significantly more rock to graze on.

If I pick up anything else Friday, it/they would replace this group in the 20L. QT has filter floss that has sat in the sump of my DT for at least 9 months now so it should be well seeded. I also dosed a couple different bacteria in a bottle supplements as well.

All in all, pretty happy camper right now. Was just able to introduce my niece(7yo) and nephew(3yo) to the new fish. Always fun to do that.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fab Four have moved over to the 60 cube to make way for a new addition. They seem to be enjoying the extra room and have settled in nicely.

d0bdbb7f1482af5ab9c340b3a48868e9.jpg

New fish is in QT. Yellow eye kole tang. Always liked these. This guy was very active at the LFS pecking for food. The only other one they had was recluse and shy. He’ll be in observation for a couple of weeks before I start copper. He’s already eating mysis and even flake.

d9b59775a56e87ed90a747b228ccbc3c.jpg

The LFS has pin tail wrasses in stock which are very high on my list but just didn’t feel comfortable bringing one home. Maybe in the future.

Also picked up a cleaner shrimp and a couple conchs. A fairly subdued BF for me but I’m happy with it.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT's still seem to be doing well. I added a cleaner shrimp in with the Fab Four in the 60 cube. Loving these guys. All out and active. Well, the YWG is active as YWG's go anyway lol! The other three are constantly out and about. Sure hope it makes it as it's already my favorite fish. Looking forward to when I can add it to the DT. Probably around Christmas.

The tang seems to be doing fine in the 20L. It hangs out on the left side of the tank and isn't a pig when eating, but it does eat. This is one I'm a little worried about, mainly because I don't have much experience with tangs having only a yellow in the past. It just seems like it isn't settling down but may just be my imagination.

Been battling what appears to be some yellow cyanobacteria in the DT ever since rearranging all the rocks to catch the marble wrasse. Blasted the rocks today with a MJ1200 as well as the sand bed and will change filter socks tomorrow. PO4 has been a consistent .02-.04 but NO3 has been 0 for a very, very long time. I can't seem to get NO3 to increase so may need to resort to dosing. Cheato growth in the fuge has also been anemic for quite a while. This is the part of reef keeping that I struggle with the most. Trying to get everything to where it needs to be and then get it stable. I can have periods of stability, but not necessarily at the right levels lol!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started General Cure for the tang. Round 2 in 5 days, then another 25% water change, then ramp up copper. 14 days at therapeutic level and then he'll get transferred to the 60 cube with the Fab Four, who are still doing excellent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC round 2 has been dosed for the tang. Fab Four are still doing, well, fabulous.

Dosed nitrates for the first time. I have been battling Dino's I think without realizing what they were. Just thought it was a brown, stringy, hair algae. My nitrates have been 0 all but once since I finished my cycle and I think that may be a cause for concern. So, I dosed enough to get to 3.6ppm and I'll test in the am to see if it even registers. If it doesn't, I'll dose to 5ppm and test several times. If THAT doesn't register, I'll buy a new test kit lol! I'll keep an eye on phosphate too as it's already only .04. Hoping the nitrates help eliminate the Dino's and maybe help the corals some too as growth has been very stagnant for the last few months.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back