Jason's 300 gallons of frustration and fun

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy days the last couple of days. I didn't like how low the fuge was in the garage. It wasn't going to be able to serve as overflow capacity for the sump, and frankly wasn't needed, plus I wasn't able to get much flow into the fuge because the drains through the garage wall to the sump were so high. So, I built a much taller stand, drained the fuge almost all the way down, and enlisted the help of a visiting cousin and my daughter to lift the current stand and tank up, slide the new stand under, and place the old stand right on top of the new one. The old stand had 3" stubby legs that worked perfectly as guides and to help secure the old stand on top of the new. This also served as a water change for the DT.

Since BRS was having bonus rewards and 10x rewards on the Tunze Stream 3, I ordered two of those as well this morning. The 5 year warranty really wins me over as well as their reportedly great customer service and reputation for quality. I just can't see spending over twice the money on MP60's for a shorter warranty. I really love the Ecotech MP's but it's getting more and more difficult to justify the cost, especially when the default answer after a year now is to buy a new wet side. So, excited that I'll finally have some real flow! If I'm not careful I won't have anything left to buy on Black Friday...
Haha, put the family to work!

Sounds like an improvement.

More pictures?

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, put the family to work!

Sounds like an improvement.

More pictures?

You bet!

6f84951c97464598b210106798d2395a.jpg

c20590b255d22e09f2efbae56b080c6f.jpg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse is steadily improving. Still feeding a mix of LRS, pellets, selcon, focus, kanaplex, and a little garlic. Fins are growing back great with still a little redness on his left side close to the tail.

My wife is amazingly supportive of this hobby and how much I spend on it. Maybe until this past weekend. Not only did I bid(and win!) on some of LRO's eBay auctions, I also got sucked into my first live sale on this site lol! I had budgeted about $150 to get a few corals to QT in my 60 cube before I break it down, clean everything, move it, and set it back up. I think I'm closer to $300 right now with some WWC auctions to go! All good though, as we've all missed having some coral to look at. Putting them in the cube for 76 days since I'm only about 2 weeks into the fallow period for it anyway. I'll post pics when I get everything in!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mcarroll Tagging you for Stream 3 feedback!

So, UPS brought me some good stuff today. 2 Stream 3's, a 3155 ATO, and a Kessil H380 for the fuge.

On the Stream 3. It is significantly smaller than I expected. I guess reading the dimensions online and breaking out the measuring tape would have helped lol! To me, it's rather small. It feels substantial though and not cheap, which it isn't.

Instructions are good. Make sure you really push the impeller assembly into the body. It took more force than I thought it would.

It's extremely quiet. If it wasn't for the debris storm it kicked up I wouldn't have thought that it was running and that was at full power. I can see the gyre patter it creates with just a single pump. I am unsure of placement. It was recommended to put both center of the back wall and point them in opposite directions. I'll probably put the second roughly opposite of where I have the first as eventually I'll probably move my MP40 in between them.

No corals yet so it'll be a while before I can speak to the effectiveness of the flow. Eventually they also be controlled by my Apex so that should help me. The hope is 2 Stream 3's and one MP40 will provide adequate flow for SPS. I'm impressed with its ability to wrap flow all the way around a 72x24 tank though!

58aad199634e66031b2addf65389a8d4.jpg

50cb1e36fee896b1cb9362590c2029c6.jpg

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the second Stream 3 installed. I now have no sand in my back corners lol! I think I need to move them more towards the center, lower, and then angle them up a little bit. I had been hoping to "hide" the cords by lining up the cord with the side of the overflow, but let's be honest, only fellow reefers notice or even care about the cords.

The Streams have also let me know how entirely inadequate my sand rinsing was. I probably needed at least another 3-4 hours of rinsing sand to avoid the cloud. Should be fixed by a quick change of the filter socks.

Fish seem to enjoy the increased flow. Yay. I'll have plenty of time to continue to play with them.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only fellow reefers notice or even care about the cords.

What???

Real reefers watch animals and pay no attention to anything else. (Are cord-watchers even human??!!) :p

Caring about cords is for manufacturers....and Tunze has worried about theirs sufficiently....even has an Urchin-guard on it!!

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What???

Real reefers watch animals and pay no attention to anything else. (Are cord-watchers even human??!!) :p

Caring about cords is for manufacturers....and Tunze has worried about theirs sufficiently....even has an Urchin-guard on it!!

Yeah, I stopped caring when I realized that when I viewed other people's tanks, I didn't notice the cords. The animals certainly don't.

I think I'll move rubble from the fuge to the back corners as that should help knock down the sand excavation as well.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, went into the garage this morning and saw an amber light on my chiller. First thought was, crap, it's broken. Only a clue bag like me would buy a chiller and not realize it has a heater built into it too. Especially when the front has the word "Heater" on it. So, the heater is apparently running lol!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in particular – I’d like to hear your thoughts on anything you try as you experiment different placements. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe whether the mp seems any more or less necessary in different setups?

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the temp been? Running your chiller that you got online or is it regulating enough on its own in the Florida heat?

Temp has been a non issue. Even when the power went out, temp only started climbing on day 4 or 5. Nothing was in the display at that point so pumps only ran when the generator ran. I have a marine battery to provide the backup power though. Max temp was 85 I believe. The chiller would have been able to help if I had plugged it in.

Maybe whether the mp seems any more or less necessary in different setups?

I think the Stream's are at least as effective as MP's on the ends, though I've never owned an MP60 to compare it to. It's definitely more useful than a MP40 on each end. With a single stream 3 water would circulate around the entire tank. With both you can that flow meets roughly in the middle of the tank front and circulates through the middle. Without corals it's difficult to tell how much flow the rock work is getting compared to flow right up next to the glass. My initial impression is that 2 Stream 3's will not be enough flow long term as corals are placed and start to fill in. That shouldn't be much of a surprise as their price is more equivalent to MP40's, two of which wouldn't be near enough flow either. I do feel two Stream 3's are adequate to start, something I wouldn't say for MP40's. I may augment with other, more directional pumps pointing from the upper back corners toward the angled opposite corner. a 6105 for instance in each corner pointing diagonally across would probably be all the additional flow required.

We'll see as I start adding corals. Unless there is a crazy sale on power heads Black Friday I don't plan on adding additional pumps until I see how these perform with corals in the tank.

OP
OP
Radman73

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Been a tough time. Went away for a week and had to come home a day early due to my father in law succumbing to lymphoma. He was a great man who will be sorely missed.

My daughter had told me some algae was starting to grow and she was right. Ironically it's only growing in the cone of where the single light had been hung. I guess a small amount had established itself there. I was feeding heavily when treating my wrasse for a bacteria infection so that's the likely culprit. The GHA has been slowly fading to white over the last several days. At some point I'll need to reach in and start the manual removal process and I'll have to remind myself that I actually like the 30" depth lol. Probably go at it this weekend. For the most part, it appears it'll be dying out on its own. This is a fairly common stage of a new tank anyway. I'm actually encouraged that it's not continuing to spread and flourish.

The wrasse is doing great.

Lesson's learned from my week away? My 220 will consume about 10 gallons of top off in roughly 6 days. I need to mount the ATO controller where it's easier for a tank sitter to se it as my daughter had no idea it was out. I will move forward with my plan to run the ATO wiring through the wall to the garage and utilize a 32gal brute as the reservoir pumping up into the fuge. The I can run the ATO the reservoir and utilize a float to keep it filled. If the ATO reservoir overflows, it'll be noticed pretty quick in the garage and cause no real harm.

On the bright side, in the slight film algae on the glass it appears that I have a bazillion pods in the system. Yay. Or a bunch of fine particulate trapped in the hair of the algae. Boo. On the outside of the glass I'm finding it gets dirty very quick due to a young niece and nephew looking at the tank every time they come over. That's a definite yay.

Black Friday will be a tough decision day for me. Plan had been to splurge on a new Apex and/or package if they have any kind of sale/bundle. But the astronomy bug has bit me again and I can get a nice to great 8" scope from 1k to 1.6k. A new return is still a must and it will likely be a Fluval SP6. Decisions, decisions.

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My condolences.

I'm waiting for Black Friday to pick up a controller and a different return pump. My current return only does 6x turnover and I need to bump up to 10x if I'm going to implement the Triton method. Also considering purchasing a store bought sump. I don't like the one I have (homemade).

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks pretty good!

I've got a SP6 on my 220, purchased last Black Friday, and am well pleased with it. It's pushing plenty of flow through two 3/4" returns, augmented by a brace of mid-sized Gyres - one at each end. When I feed my fish, I don't feed the tank - I feed the return pump, which then blasts food into every part of the display within a second or two - and the chase is on!

I also modified the pump's intake by creating a PVC elbow that pulls water from the bottom of the return section. I felt that the pump's intake was mounted a bit high for my taste, given the water level in my sump.

~Bruce

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back