Jason's Reefer 250: Fish added! Sump Mod, Clarisea, custom plumbing, aquascape w/E-Marco, IKEA cabinet mod. (Pic heavy!)

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eight this is a great build! I will be moving in the next couple months and will have to part ways with my customized refugium under my RSR 250. It will be replaced by my controllers and ATO reservoir as well. Could you post pictures of how you mounted the equipment inside the cabinet and wire management? Very curious how accessible everything is inside the cabinet.

Thank you!

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the red sea reef energy AB+ yet? I'm thinking about starting it.
I've heard and read a lot of good things about it. Planning to using it once I get my RSR 250 up and running.
@Markxc @Brent Behringer before it was the single bottle solution AB+, it was two bottles A and B. Both A and B had to be refrigerated and I don’t know if AB+ does. I know it’s full of vitamins, lipids, carbohydrates, amino acids, and proteins to name a few. With these “whole” foods for corals you don’t have to run the residual nutrients nitrate and phosphate in low concentrations. NO3 and PO4 are just junk food for corals anyway.

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The description says that the input for the Clarisea is 32mm, but a 1" pipe fits in there perfectly, i think the description is wrong. Unless the 5000 is different, i have a 3000 on mine and its dry fit with a 1" pvc pipe as well.

@Eight looking good man! I got my rocks in my tank Sunday and dumped a bottle of microbacter7 in there and dropped a raw shrimp in my sump. Rocks were taken out of my brute can at 11.5 weeks of cycling. Will allow another 4 weeks or so of cycling in my tank before i add the fish. Once this bacteria bloom goes away ill get some pictures in my thread updated.
Hello , so I have bought recently a Clarisea 3000 and the input on mine is 32mm

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was my first real 'tank maintenance day' and in many ways, was the first true run of my plumbing set up. I changed out the original carbon I had since I filled the tank, added GFO and finally fixed the leaking O-Ring on my Aquamaxx XS reactor. I also did a 10 gallon water change.

Here's a non-pretty/prepped 'beforehand' photo in the morning. Don't mind the diatoms and my messed up sand. I've found the single MP40 a bit strong for my aquarium and the Tunze 6105s from my older tank WAY too strong. I have a Tunze 6040 arriving tomorrow. I think that the MP40 turned down low with the Tunze 6040 blowing across the back will be a nice combination. Will update on that later. I went nuts on the frags on AquaSD's live sale, but everything looks amazing. (Photos of the corals later.)

20200308_093716.jpg

My Tunze Eco Chic refugium light runs counter cycle to my main lights, so you can see that they're on in the morning. I dropped a bunch of ceramic bio balls in the left portion of the sump and you can see a healthy amount of chaeto in the right side. Clarisea continues to clear the water and keep things hassle free and the Nyos 120 skimmer is pulling out a nice wet skimmate.

First step is to remove the skimmer cup and the right reactor return. I keep the reactor returns dry fit so that everything is more easily maintained. So far that's worked out great. I get a tiny amount of salt creep on the return pipe, but no big deal. You can see the right reactor return pipe resting on the Clarisea. Both reactors are easily removed after shutting off the gate valves, loosening the reactor screws and then twisting off.

20200308_102222.jpg

I've never enjoyed reactor maintenance... and in this case, carbon is the biggest pain. The sponge on the AquaMaxx is pretty large, so little particles and fines find their way into my sump. This time I decided to put the carbon into a long filter bag and then put that into the reactor which seems to be working much better. It might be a little less efficient, but I don't think it makes much of a difference. The GFO went straight into the left reactor. Since the flow rate through GFO is quite slow and it doesn't float as much as carbon it hasn't been a problem.

20200308_102741.jpg

20200308_104000.jpg

Here's a full tank and stand shot with everything put back together. It took me a couple hours to do everything, but that included a water change from scratch, O-Ring repair on the right reactor and fumbling my way through this for the first time. I think that a straight carbon and skimmer clean up should take around 20 mins once I get the hang of it. For the O-Ring repair, I did manage to repair it and I no longer have any leaks. It took me a couple tries playing around with different size rings and combinations... in the end, I went with a smaller one on the bottom and a thicker one on top. (I don't know the sizes I ended up using.) I think the key is to not over tighten the nut on the lid. Over tightening causes the O-rings to contort out of shape which was the problem I had before.

20200308_175117.jpg

I will share some nice coral/frag photos shortly! I have a few really nice pieces, especially the torch trio in the middle (Aussie gold, Electric green with blue tips and purple with green tips) and some really cool montis and chalices.
Hi, awesome build! How much sand did you end up using , all of it ( 60 lbs) ?

Infern0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a year of use I find it EXTREMELY VOLITILE! One day its set perfect and then the next it's either too high or low! Hard work! Should have installed a gate valve!

How's your tank getting on?
Hello,

I also want to run Algae reactor and Clarisea, are the pods doing well with the Clarisea ?

Thank´s !

Last edited:

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eight hey is your clarisea gen 1, or gen 2? My 1” white PVC and orange PVC don’t fit to the grey elbow that comes with the clarisea gen 2?!? The grey elbow says 1” on the end connected to clarisea and the other end to plumbing marked 32 (inside a circle) but my PVC don’t fit. Did I get wrong part or am I missing anything here??

Not sure if this was already answered but the Clarisea ships with a different elbow in Canada than the US. 1” PVC will not fit into the Canadian version, which I think is the same as the European version. I sanded down the PVC until it fit snugly inside the elbow.

Bradley Creek Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to use your instructions on installing the Clarisea into my 250 V3. Question about the Clarisea, when the fleece advances to fresh fleece, does the skimmer try to overflow?

aalhait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to use your instructions on installing the Clarisea into my 250 V3. Question about the Clarisea, when the fleece advances to fresh fleece, does the skimmer try to overflow?
It should not make it overflow. If it does it means your water level is not set properly in the filter. You need to raise your filter a bit like 3-4” above the water level. The fleece should advance a little at a time and water should not rise when it does advance that’s what could cause the skimmer overflow.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I also want to run Algae reactor and Clarisea, are the pods doing well with the Clarisea ?

Thank´s !
I added two bottles on pods into the tank and tefugium, but I have not seen any swim around lately. Hope the Clarisea is not too efficient and filter them out. But I see my melanarus wrasse picking all the time.

Not sure if this was already answered but the Clarisea ships with a different elbow in Canada than the US. 1” PVC will not fit into the Canadian version, which I think is the same as the European version. I sanded down the PVC until it fit snugly inside the elbow.
I contacted the store and they shipped the adapter for the Canadian version for free. Thanks to Ray at reef supplies.

I used his instruction too and I don’t see the issue. I think if I am not mistaken I used the 3rd or 4th slot from the bottom of the Clarisea to hang it.

Hope he is okay as he has not logged in since July.

aalhait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two bottles on pods into the tank and tefugium, but I have not seen any swim around lately. Hope the Clarisea is not too efficient and filter them out. But I see my melanarus wrasse picking all the time.

I contacted the store and they shipped the adapter for the Canadian version for free. Thanks to Ray at reef supplies.

I used his instruction too and I don’t see the issue. I think if I am not mistaken I used the 3rd or 4th slot from the bottom of the Clarisea to hang it.

Hope he is okay as he has not logged in since July.

First of all. He’s more than fine. He’s a dad now and little “one” is making big “eight” busy chasing around the other balls on the pool table.

Second I also have a similar setup but I have my ClariSea on a paver for height. If advancing the ClariSea makes your skimmer overflow then one of two things is possible. Most likely they Clrosea is not high enough. The other possibility is that your skimmer is dialed too high / tight. And I have pods in the sump also when I added the pods to the tank I added a bottle to the sump not only to the tank so they can populate there and right now they are really providing the tank with the regular pod supply.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all. He’s more than fine. He’s a dad now and little “one” is making big “eight” busy chasing around the other balls on the pool table.

Second I also have a similar setup but I have my ClariSea on a paver for height. If advancing the ClariSea makes your skimmer overflow then one of two things is possible. Most likely they Clrosea is not high enough. The other possibility is that your skimmer is dialed too high / tight. And I have pods in the sump also when I added the pods to the tank I added a bottle to the sump not only to the tank so they can populate there and right now they are really providing the tank with the regular pod supply.
First, I hope he is doing amazing. I remember it was timeless moment when mine was just a newborn. I rejoiced every moment of it. It is just odd that he has not even logged in at all. I mean if you have time to turn of TV, drink beer (if he does), check emails, and I am sure you will have time to log in r2r. I am not saying that he has too and by all mean he is not obligated too. I log in to R2R in bathroom, waiting for doctor appointment or any appointment, and etc. just to read and not necessary to post.

Second, I don't have issue with skimmer overflow. I was replying to the other member. I also add pods directly into main tank and sump.

Back