JawaReef's First Tank: The Life Story of My 135gal

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,...so much to do, for both of us, although you're way ahead of me. lol
Have to get the sprint car ready for loading and racing tonight. But, it looks like we're getting rained out according to the news.
It always gotta rain on the weekends !

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this build @JawaReef ! I am hoping to get permission to build a 125g once I get back home after deployment! Just pending wife’s approval, lol ! But I am totally following along ! Love what your doing with the build! What are the measurements of a 135g ?

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,...so much to do, for both of us, although you're way ahead of me. lol
Have to get the sprint car ready for loading and racing tonight. But, it looks like we're getting rained out according to the news.
It always gotta rain on the weekends !

The rain here has been keeping me indoors, which has been helping me work on the tank! hahaha

Nice man! I've been to some races, just as an observer, but those are fun!

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this build @JawaReef ! I am hoping to get permission to build a 125g once I get back home after deployment! Just pending wife’s approval, lol ! But I am totally following along ! Love what your doing with the build! What are the measurements of a 135g ?

I know what that's like, trust me, I had to go through the proper channels as well. Hahaha
So I was going to go with a 125, but then I found out the 135 just a bit bigger for not a whole lot more.
125 = 72 1/2"-18 1/2-"-23 3/8"
135 = 72 1/2"-18 1/2"-25 3/8"
If I wanted to go with a deeper tank, a 180gal, I could have, but it would have been pre drilled with a box on the inside and I didn't much care for that look. Also, the price jumped up considerably! So with the dimensions I was given to go with, I filled the space up with what I could! Hahaha

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what that's like, trust me, I had to go through the proper channels as well. Hahaha
So I was going to go with a 125, but then I found out the 135 just a bit bigger for not a whole lot more.
125 = 72 1/2"-18 1/2-"-23 3/8"
135 = 72 1/2"-18 1/2"-25 3/8"
If I wanted to go with a deeper tank, a 180gal, I could have, but it would have been pre drilled with a box on the inside and I didn't much care for that look. Also, the price jumped up considerably! So with the dimensions I was given to go with, I filled the space up with what I could! Hahaha

Thank you @JawaReef ! It is a little bigger , I am also looking at a Aqueon 150g which is 72.5" x 18.5" x 29.5" , or the standard 125g 6ft. I am just waiting to see what my wife says mostly. I still have a few months before I get back home from deployment. So she has time to think about it. Very nice build @JawaReef !

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @JawaReef ! It is a little bigger , I am also looking at a Aqueon 150g which is 72.5" x 18.5" x 29.5" , or the standard 125g 6ft. I am just waiting to see what my wife says mostly. I still have a few months before I get back home from deployment. So she has time to think about it. Very nice build @JawaReef !

Good luck Man! Post some pics when you get started!

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I got done today. I installed LED's in my stand and finished off the dry fittings for my plumbing. Here is what the finished product will look like (I'm pretty sure)! There will be one flow monitor on both return lines between the last ball valve and check valve. Then I'll have 45's with barbed fittings into soft tubing to hook up my pumps. I'm going to order a color pvc pipe for my final product. Not sure what color yet.
20190518_194948.jpg
20190518_205824.jpg
20190518_210953.jpg

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THEILING COMPACT ROLLERMAT on a ESHOPPS R-300 REFUGIUM

So here is a problem I came into when I decided to go with a compact rollermat on my Eshopps sump... It doesn't fit... Looking around, I could not find anyone else that had ran into this situation yet. Next to just cutting the filter sock hole bigger and sliding it in (I plan on filling the filter sock compartment with bio bricks), here is what I came up with.
I made a brace out of 18"-24"-3/16" sheet of Plexiglas I bought at Lows. I cut an L shape and then used JB Plastic Weld to adhere both sides together. Then screw a couple of L brackets to the stand for support. I hung the rollermat on the new brace and put the sump right up against it, sandwiching it between them. Essentially, I made a pseudo chamber for the rollermat to sit in.
The next step was the exit flow on the bottom of the rollermat that presented it's own special problem. It has no fitting that perfectly connects. I tried metric, standard, and it felt like everything in between. There was always play in the connection. So, I found that a 1" pvc fits close enough. I am going to use silicone to fill up the space in the fitting. Not being under super pressure, this should be plenty to hold everything in place. Then make a short run to the intended intake to the sump. When I do my water test, if the water level is to close to setting the float switch off (or going over the built in emergency hole, which from measurements it shouldn't) I plan on drilling a hole in the side of the sump, installing a bulkhead, and just connect there.
Now comes flow. The rollermat can only handle around 400 to 500 gph. Since I am figuring I will have much more flow than that, my solution is to split the overflow water into two channels. Put a flow monitor on the channel with the rollermat and gate valve on the other. Whatever water is remaining after the max flow is hit, it will be sent to the refugium. For the refugium, I am thinking about closing it off to the rest of the sump (which only takes plugging up a small weir) and making it its own stand alone unit inside the sump. With it's water only meeting up with the rest as it goes to the return pumps.
Will this all work? Hopefully. Have I over thought this? Probably. Could I have done this more simple? I'm sure most defiantly.
But for whoever is interested, here's some pictures to help explain what I have been rambling about.
20190518_113928.jpg
20190518_210513.jpg
20190518_210615.jpg
20190518_210841.jpg

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful set up @JawaReef ! Love the lighting choice! What company manufacturer is your aquarium ? I am just wondering , I am looking at all my tank options for when I am back home .

Visio, It was the only brand my LFS was selling, but they really liked these tanks. So far it's worked great! Hahaha I didn't used this option, but if you give them the specs, they will drill the tank for you as well.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visio, It was the only brand my LFS was selling, but they really liked these tanks. So far it's worked great! Hahaha I didn't used this option, but if you give them the specs, they will drill the tank for you as well.

O wow that's good to know ! Thanks for telling me about that @JawaReef !! I am looking at some 4ft and 6ft option tanks. For when I get back home. It really all depends on what the wife may approve for me . But we will see once I get back home on what I can get my hands on. lol ;)

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been a while, but a lot has happened! I have water in the tank for about 3 weeks now. Been doing my water tests and am watching the ammonia drop and nitrate drop as well. Maybe will be lucky and can add fish soon! So here is a quick photo story line of whats been happening!
20190715_140538.jpg
20190716_200424.jpg
20190717_194324.jpg
20190811_211935.jpg
20190813_110029.jpg

1: Added water mixed with Fritz Reef Pro Mix
2:Got my lights to work after hooking up my Apex (not on a schedule yet)
3:Turned on Skimmer and plumbed in Carbon
4: Added a screen top (maybe it will help with salt creep out of the tank)

OP
OP
JawaReef

JawaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIRST FISH!!!!! Well, good or bad, I don't have a quarantine tank set up at this time. However, I know the store I bought the fish from use copper and I have been watching these clowns at the store for a while. They look healthy, eat well, and I haven't seen any parasites on them. I drip acclimated them and gave them a bath in "Safety Stop". The Frostbites did show some aggression towards the black clowns, but I separated them during the drip acclimation so they could see each other, but not get to each other. I added them into the main display on opposite ends. They have been in the tank for about a week now and other than a little chase here and there, they all seem to be getting along. Now I am just trying to figure out what to add next. Clean up crew? More fish? Inverts? We shall see.
20190903_201115.jpg
20190904_081451.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back