Jawbreaker Grafting Yes Or No?

Graverobber22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this is my first post here so I really dont quite know where this should go but screw it. So I have a question for you guy I have a thriving colony of jawbreakers and interstellar mushroom I got one of each last November now I have 8 jawbreakers and 9 interstellar's so basically I'm asking is should I attempt to graft a couple of the babys together, and has anyone ever tried to graft jawbreakers. I know there in the same sub order and should be capable, I just want your guys opinion on this, would any of you even think to want a grafted jawbreaker. Also this is a picture of the mother when my lights first came on.
20190127_214807.jpg
20190127_214802.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I honestly don't know much about grafting jawbreaker mushrooms, and with the price point on those suckers I'd likely be scared to try myself. Hopefully, someone with first-hand experience will chime in...and I'd love to see the results if you pull it off!

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome to R2R!! I would have to agree with refiness I think it will just turn into 2 separate mushrooms. But mushrooms are easy to frag I do it all the time to my bounce mushrooms so I say go for it worse comes to worse you just have more mushrooms:D

OP
OP
Graverobber22

Graverobber22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see how this actually works, but I think it would be cool if it did. Sure they may be close enough species to graft on paper, but the way I see it unless you manually fuse them somehow I think they will just grow into 2 mushrooms next to each other.
I'm going to be trying it this weekend so I will be sure to keep you updated, for the actual grafting I'm planning on cutting them directly in half through the mouths and putting the cut mouths together so they are forceablely touching one another and securing them with coral coral glue. The rim is going to be a bit different so I'm going to actually suture the rims together and place it in a zero flow container within the tank so it can heal, and since I'm using two mushrooms I will have two attempts to see if it works.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be trying it this weekend so I will be sure to keep you updated, for the actual grafting I'm planning on cutting them directly in half through the mouths and putting the cut mouths together so they are forceablely touching one another and securing them with coral coral glue. The rim is going to be a bit different so I'm going to actually suture the rims together and place it in a zero flow container within the tank so it can heal, and since I'm using two mushrooms I will have two attempts to see if it works.
Glue doesn’t work on mushrooms. What do you cut them with?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen grafted mushrooms, but not jawbreakers.

OP
OP
Graverobber22

Graverobber22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue doesn’t work on mushrooms. What do you cut them with?
I know glue doesn't bond to mushrooms but it does to the porcelain that the feet are on, and I usually frag mushrooms with medical grade one time use scalpels.

OP
OP
Graverobber22

Graverobber22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen grafted mushrooms, but not jawbreakers.
I've seen a few as well that's where I got the idea, though it would be a fun experiment, I'm also trying something else with a jawbreaker right now i have one one about 6in under a Kessle pounding it at full power, I'm hoping it will full on bounce from the uv. It actually seems to love the crazy high light. All of them do for a matter of fact.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it won’t work with a interstellar but I have heard of grafted shrooms. From what I understand the shrooms were chopped up into small pieces, mixed together in a small clear plastic egg with some holes. The result was a few shrooms that grew together and most did not.

I never saw if they produced mixed babies or not.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back