Jawbreaker mushroom worth/quality

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi, is this jawbreaker mushroom of good quality? I am looking to buy a baby/frag of it and want to make sure it is worth the price I am paying for it.
Pics are mother colony.
Thanks

IMG_1005.jpeg IMG_1004.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many mushrooms and corals for sale that were very high dollar prices just because they had a small streak or spot of coloration on a field of solid yellow. I struggle to understand how the value of some corals is found but the typical responses to your question is either Yes, No, and Maybe. The market value is constantly changing as supply changes.

Bottom line is always that if it is worth it to you to have that specimen then buy it and enjoy it. If you are only buying it because you want to resell these that is another question and answer in itself.

I have a similar mushroom in my tank. I put it in there hoping that it would multiply and I was going to give the increase to my buddy at the LFS. He sold the store, and I am kind of happy that the shroom never really took off. SOme other shrooms have taken over an area where I had him growing and it was luck to survive. I like all of these, so I am not upset but I would have preferred if the little gold mushroom would have spread instead of the green fuzzy monsters that are growing everywhere.

i only include the last information to serve for you (perhaps) as a guideline for buying livestock for your tank. The purpose of ownership can help define the value of these things. If you like it, buy it!

OP
OP
GpixL_

GpixL_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I've seen many mushrooms and corals for sale that were very high dollar prices just because they had a small streak or spot of coloration on a field of solid yellow. I struggle to understand how the value of some corals is found but the typical responses to your question is either Yes, No, and Maybe. The market value is constantly changing as supply changes.

Bottom line is always that if it is worth it to you to have that specimen then buy it and enjoy it. If you are only buying it because you want to resell these that is another question and answer in itself.

I have a similar mushroom in my tank. I put it in there hoping that it would multiply and I was going to give the increase to my buddy at the LFS. He sold the store, and I am kind of happy that the shroom never really took off. SOme other shrooms have taken over an area where I had him growing and it was luck to survive. I like all of these, so I am not upset but I would have preferred if the little gold mushroom would have spread instead of the green fuzzy monsters that are growing everywhere.

i only include the last information to serve for you (perhaps) as a guideline for buying livestock for your tank. The purpose of ownership can help define the value of these things. If you like it, buy it!
Thank you for the input! I probably will buy it. Btw, if I trade a 3 head gold hammer for a 2" frag of it is that about that same worth?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the extra hammer that is a very good trade.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
prices should be relatively affordable for jawbreakers as they split rather easy. i bought a frag of a jawbreaker at reefapalooza NY this year and it came with a baby. granted i feel i overpaid, but i went in with a list of corals i wanted and i got them all! overall i spent less had i done it online.

i say go for it. if you truly wanted to, you could sell the babies as they pop up

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only you can answer is it worth it. The specimen is only as valuable as you make it. If you aren't sure pass. If you want a jawbreaker and this is color/pattern isn't what you want pass.

I find having something because others have it and rave about it. This could lead to remorse down in the road if you don't really like it.

Just my 2 cents.

If your talking strictly price thats a whole different question.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back