Jawfish/blue spot jawfish scratching self in sand(parasite)

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question to all jawfish owner, mine seems to have parasite, what can help him?

I noticed my blue spot jawfish dive on the sand/rock, kinda like scratching himself...
I think is parasite, would a cleaner shrimp/fish help if I add to to the tank?

haven't add Bc cleaner shrimp Bc it’ new tank, roughly 5wk and blue spot been in here for 2wk.
tank cycle with dr tim in that 3wk period.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a tough one. I’m not sure that jawfish will hold still for a cleaner shrimp, but maybe? The shrimp won’t help though if the problem is gill flukes, they can’t reach them on small fish like that.
BSJ are a real problem fish, they can’t be quarantined or treated easily because they need a secure burrow, and that is tough to do in a QT. They also don’t thrive long term at tropical temperatures. You might consider using Prazipro with good aeration, it is mostly safe for use in a DT and can help if the issue is flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BSJ also have a pearl jaw as tank mates, 2 mollies and a Royal gamma, but suspect BSJ Afro have kill the gamma. The pearl jaw always near its dig hole, BSJ Always all over the tank swimming and peeking at the pearl jaw, suspect the BSJ is a male due to larger body and wider mouth, pearl jaw is slender and much smaller. BSJ is eating nonstop thou, so maybe I’ll just hope for the best since it’s hard for a cleaner shrimp.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back